Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hoh River Lollipop - off trail route possible?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
superfoolindotawesome

superfoolindotawesome
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:55 pm 
Forum Users - I've been daydreaming about a route through ONP for years and would like to ask for some input before scouting the final leg this year. This is a very non-traditional route through one of the least traversed sections of the park, so I'm particularly interested in the input of those forum users most familiar with these special places (please). I'm not going to divulge GPS coordinates or any other super specific info. Just looking for general descriptions from discreet off-trail enthusiasts ... enough philosophy ... I'd like to do a "lollipop" route in and out via the main Hoh River trailhead (without ropes, so no serious glacier travel/hazards). I'd like to take a non-traditional route that leaves the main Hoh River trail at Glacier Meadows, where we begin an off trail route roughly east to the Ferry Basin ... this is the section I'm asking for help on ... and specifically described ... from Glacier Meadows, go east up over a small saddle and then drop below the Ice River Glacier and over to Lakes "3978T" and "4414T" ... then down/east to cross the Hoh River near mile 53.8 (these locations are on the USGS 24k quad maps) ... then roughly east to the Ferry Basin. From there I'm familiar with the route (from two years ago - way to smoky but still mind-blowing) ... and prefer avoiding Cream Lake, going around Stephen Peak to "Stephen Lake" ... and then rejoining the waytrail near Eleven Bull Basin, and out via the Skyline Divide. Hoh Lake, the Hoh River, and back to the car. Ideally, this is an 11-13 day drip. Yes, super long, because I've realized the Ferry Basin is one the most spectacular places on earth (and "rest" days there will be unreal). Ok, thanks for sticking with me. I'm looking forward to seeing what I'm gonna get for replies. Happy Trails, superfoolindotawesome

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 10:41 pm 
This sounds like a pretty challenging route and I can't help much re. the Glacier Meadows to Ferry Basin part except to include a photo I took in August 2017 from the BRT looking down on the Hoh around mile 53.8. The lake in the foreground is Lake 4009T (west of Cream Lake) on the Mt Queets topo. The descent coming down from Ice River and lake 3978T sure looks steep. Looking forward to your TR. Good Luck!
upper_Hoh
upper_Hoh

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message