Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mountain Gear going out of Business
Previous :: Next Topic  
Schroder

Schroder

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 8:07 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Quote:
Dear Friends,

When I opened Mountain Gear in 1983, I had a driving mission: to help people get outdoors in pursuit of adventure. Now, after 37 years, its time to pack up. Mountain Gear will be closing.

Our home-grown business owes an enormous thank you to our friends throughout the U.S. and world, brought together first by the encyclopedic Mountain Gear catalog, and more recently by our online store. Whether youre a third-generation customer or a Mountain Gear newbie, were grateful for your support. Like our employees, our customers share a passion for the outdoors, for exploration and adventure. Its been our privilege to help fuel your passion.

Now, as we prepare for closure, its time to offer you some great deals on gear.

Our Thank You sale starts now on the website.

Everything is 20%-50% off on the site mountaingear.com

For those living in or near our home base of Spokane, Washington, There is a huge selection on sale at the store.

In related news, Ill no longer be presenting the Red Rocks Rendezvous, the outdoor climbing festival that has given a taste of climbing culture and skills to more than 10,000 people. This event has been a labor of love. We kept prices low so more people could participate, with costs subsidized by Mountain Gear and other sponsors. Id love to help someone else who has an interest in taking it over. If that might be you or you have a fun Mountain Gear pic or story youd like to share with me, send an email to paul@mountaingear.com

In the meantime, keep getting out there. Hopefully Ill run into you on a climb, ski or hike.

Kindest Regards,

Paul Fish
President, Mountain Gear
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk

Off Leash Man
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 8:01 am 
A sad trend.
Good Mountain shops are hard to find these days.
Now where will all those Amazon shoppers go to try on ski boots, clothing, and check out equipment first hand...? (sarcasm intended)

--------------
Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RichP
here and there

RichP

here and there
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 10:39 am 
Schenk wrote:
Now where will all those Amazon shoppers go to try on ski boots, clothing, and check out equipment first hand...? (sarcasm intended)

Retailers can smell this from a mile away but it is the nature of the business now. I suspect FedEx et al will benefit from all the returns and reorders.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Schroder

Schroder

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 10:49 am 
Mountain Gear did a good online business too. I ordered from them many times, particularly during their sales.  I managed to drop by their store once while heading to Northern Idaho.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots

Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 10:59 am 
Schenk wrote:
A sad trend.
Good Mountain shops are hard to find these days.

Yes, and this is why if I "try on" at a real store, I buy at the real store. I resort to Amazon only if I can't get it locally. And I've yet to find Amazon to be substantially cheaper (often the opposite) than I can get at a real store's online site. My favorite being Backcountrygear.com in Eugene. Good stuff, good service, good prices, great customer service, and their physical store is SO well supplied!  up.gif  up.gif  up.gif from me.

--------------
"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
iron
getting old

iron

getting old
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 8:34 pm 
dang. i looked at some of the stuff that's 50% off and it's still 50% too much. i can't believe anyone buys at those price points.

the only thing i saw of decent interest to me was this:
https://www.mountaingear.com/kelty-trail-ridge-3/MG251107P.html#pdpSpecs

but for $130, it was still probably too heavy and not really worth it.

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:40 pm 
Gotta be payin' full price to keep these type outfitters open.

--------------
I ALWAYS camp at the upper lake!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Yolo

Yolo

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 12:10 am 
check at https://www.rei.com/map/store, stuff on sales is really worth it
cdestroyer

cdestroyer

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 7:14 am 
"i can't believe anyone buys at those price points. "

you want a cadillac you pay for a cadillac!!!
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mountain Gear going out of Business
  Happy Birthday moosefish!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: