Forum Index > Trail Talk > Should the USFS amend leases to allow ski areas to stay open longer?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 11:16 am 
I think they can keep the front side open, but lease ends April 19 for back side? They could probably farm some snow and keep certain areas open well into june most years. Maybe a terrain park and some moderate slopes for downhill. I think as it is, they start pushing snow around to get the mountain bike trails to melt out quicker. I've been there after late april when they are still using the terrain park for filming, and sleds where running up the back side to tye mill. k-2 employees get the hill for a day, but not sure if that's after full closing, or a midweek day before hand. And why does no one consider the huge revenue from disc golf?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 2:51 pm 
Vail Corporation's priority is to maximize profits for shareholders. They have no incentive to try to stretch out the ski season.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 5:10 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
And why does no one consider the huge revenue from disc golf?
hihi.gif I get the joke. cool.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 5:31 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Vail Corporation's priority is to maximize profits for shareholders. They have no incentive to try to stretch out the ski season.
As is every corporation that is run properly. People keep saying corporations are to provide jobs, resources, and infrastructure. Hogwash corporations exist to provide dividends, and that is what they are supposed to do. The other things listed above are side benefits. Every corporation I have been connected with has to do business as the prime directive. There is nothing wrong with this. Nonprofits and governments can provide public services and their governing documents include statements like provide for the general welfare, preserve the natural environment, and aid the sick and poor.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 6:04 pm 
iron wrote:
damn, that slush cup video was made for people with bomber ACL/MCL's. DIN settings looked pretty firm!
Your calculations need to take into account the BAL of the participants. Most folks need to be in "feeling no pain" state to land in a pond of slush. Without a high level of "anti-freeze" hitting the slush is quite "bracing".

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 6:31 pm 
drink.gif