Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Half of Americans didn't go outside for recreation in 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Feb 01, 2020 5:46 pm 
I don't understand, I start feeling twitchy if I haven't been to the mountains in a week. While the Outdoor Foundation’s 2019 Outdoor Participation Report showed that while a bit more than half of Americans went outside to play at least once in 2018, nearly half did not go outside for recreation at all. Americans went on 1 billion fewer outdoor outings in 2018 than they did in 2008. The number of adolescents ages 6 to 12 who recreate outdoors has fallen four years in a row, dropping more than 3% since 2007. ... Most people’s outdoor activities are close to home, with more than 63% of Americans recreating within 10 miles of their houses. Less than 19% traveled 25 miles or more to play outside. So the Outdoor Foundation is in a mission to bolster participation in outdoor play near homes, in urban areas where residents might not have as many opportunities to get outside. https://coloradosun.com/2020/01/29/fewer-americans-participate-in-outdoor-recreation/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 01, 2020 5:59 pm 
Just buy a treadmill and look at pictures or videos of mountains and forests while you work out. Save on gas, trail head fees, and no worry about break ins.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Feb 01, 2020 6:55 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Just buy a treadmill and look at pictures or videos of mountains and forests while you work out.
doof.gif rotf.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Feb 01, 2020 7:19 pm 
Kind of like buying fish at Safeway instead of fishing.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 7:44 am 
People are mostly probably just training big because they didnt get the Outdoor Recreation Permits they desired. So no other choice but to put in another year of hard work in the fitness gyms to prepare for that small hope of maybe getting a permit to recreate in the outdoors the following year. Sadly these days many never luck into an Outdoor Recreation Permit and a lifetime of opportunity is wasted away staring back at one's own reflection in the screen of that TV connected to the elliptical at the fitness gym.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 8:15 am 
I do not understand the post! Yall piss and moan about to many people out in the country and here you have a report that half the country did not go out....

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 9:25 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
I do not understand the post! Yall piss and moan about to many people out in the country and here you have a report that half the country did not go out....
Excellent point. Plus it seems we must drive 10 miles or more to recreate? There's something wrong about that.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 10:17 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
I don't understand how the worst thing that could happen in life is seeing other hikers, either.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 10:18 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Plus it seems we must drive 10 miles or more to recreate? There's something wrong about that.
Who said must? I mean you did, not nobody else has, and the article I posted didn't put up any limits or rules. Where do you get this stuff?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 11:23 am 
Of course some curmudgeon has to turn the thread into an off topic diatribe. Thanks for ruining everything. Back to the actual topic, I am not going to panic because there has been a 3% drop over a 12 year period in 6-12 year olds recreating outside.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 1:41 pm 
If only half of Seattleites DIDNT drive! More people indoors? Their loss!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 2:21 pm 
yeah.... but think about all that valuable and rewarding screen time they're getting in!! lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 2:32 pm 
I remember when half of Americans lived in tepees and longhouses. Why, you could go hop over to the Celilo Falls and nab a few salmon any time ya wanted. Snag a bison and grind some juniper berries.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 3:01 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
I remember when half of Americans lived in tepees and longhouses. Why, you could go hop over to the Celilo Falls and nab a few salmon any time ya wanted. Snag a bison and grind some juniper berries.
Lol, plus the females actually cooked back then. clown.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 3:04 pm 
Heck, Im bummed that I only got out on 25 hikes last year. Most of the summer I was healing from major surgery. Missed out on some wonderful days.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln