Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Federal Prosecution for hitting a bird with your car?
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 1:14 pm 
Up until 2017, yes..legally a possibility. The law has now been reformed to remove the ability to prosecute at whim, and requires intentional harm (knowingly and intentionally taking a protected species of the migratory bird act) to be in violation.
Quote:
Lucky for the driver in the featured image that the interpretation was changed. The turkey is one of the 2,194 birds that are currently covered by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Wait a minute, you might say, how is that possible? How many bird species are there in the United States? According to National Geographic there are “The United States is home to 1107 different species of birds, while Canada and Alaska host 686 and 521 species respectively.” I’d add those together, but Canada and Alaska share many of the same species. Some of the species covered by the MBTA are listed because they are protected in other countries that are party to the treaty. What does this mean for you and I? It seems that virtually every bird you might see, or run into with your car, or have inadvertently fly into your plate glass window, or have killed by your pet dog or cat, is covered by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act — and up until February 2017, you committed at least a Federal misdemeanor by failing to prevent the collision, either with your car or your window or failed to prevent your cat or dog from killing a backyard bird.
Legal reform of the migratory bird act

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 1:35 pm 
Typical load of paranoid garbage. Let’s see a list of everyone ever jailed for having a bird hit the window of their home. Funny how this is posted by someone who claims to hate wind power due in part to accidental bird kills. Thinly veiled politics. Very thin. Not the basic story, but the pearl-clutching slant of the quote and comment.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 1:47 pm 
Facts as paranoid garbage, an interesting interpretation. The fact is that you were factually legally liable, which is not the same as prosecution. Read the article, it describes the problems that such arbitrary law produces. Posting it in spite of my opposition to random power with respect to bird kills, show what's called objectivity. After all, proper rule of law being implemented here, means even interests who I otherwise oppose have their legal rights protected as well.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 1:49 pm 
I wasn't aware until after the fact that when I pulled over on I-5 just north of Weed and started yanking the feathers out of a bird that had collided with a semi that i was violating a federal law. I just thought it would be fun for the boys to have a big bag of huge feathers to play around with - maybe they could make some kind of wild headdress with them or something. Only after the younger boy took some of them to school did that "MBTA" come to my attention. So, thanks for your vitriolic palaver, Sluggo, but it's long past time the law was revised.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 1:52 pm 
When you point out an issue with the blatant problems like having swords over innocent people's heads, to be dropped at whim...or not, if you're a wind turbine interest, but yes, if you're in the petro buisness, leaves arbitrary power in the hands of arbitrary seat moisteners for their arbitrary values....why then you run the risk of objections from folks who like that situation. Some of those are noted in the article as well. That's wrong, and has been fixed.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 2:23 pm 
So you are posting a rant about a federal policy that was fixed in 2017? So there isn't some current issue to get worked up about?

neek

neek
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 2:34 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
So you are posting a rant about a federal policy that was fixed in 2017? So there isn't some current issue to get worked up about?
My understanding is that the 2017 guidelines are now being written into law (as the quote in the linked articles states, to make them harder to undo).

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 3:12 pm 
Must be a slow day for a "climate news" site. Funny that they couldn't even get the image or first sentence accurate.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 3:47 pm 
Now maybe the tens of thousands of people rotting in prison for colliding with birds can finally come home.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 3:57 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Commentary on wildlife regulatory reform, is a rant? Seems someone is worked up, alright. rolleyes.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 3:59 pm 
Tom wrote:
Must be a slow day for a "climate news" site. Funny that they couldn't even get the image or first sentence accurate.
They post astro news, all kinds of things. Unlike other sites I've been referred to in the past, and certain professions....they openly correct their mistakes. I guess the contrast is that the other sources I'm referring to... never make mistakes.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 4:13 pm 
Yeah looks like a reputable "news" site. Seems they grabbed the third google image hit from "bird car collission" for the clickbait.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 4:43 pm 
We could use for a few turkeys to get hit around here at Priest Lake...there are way too many of them and they become a bit of a nuisance, coming into peoples yards scavenging for food. I see a dead one every once in a while down on the highway. Apparently they are too elusive for most of the predators around here.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 05, 2020 9:53 am 
Tom wrote:
Yeah looks like a reputable "news" site. Seems they grabbed the third google image hit from "bird car collission" for the clickbait.
The only reputable way to write articles is to have personal photos of whatever you are writing about? Looks like you're fishing for gripes because you don't like the source, the story, or something else. How can I tell? Easy. I have *never* seen you apply this standard for any of the sources ever posted in any thread on anything else.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 05, 2020 9:55 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
We could use for a few turkeys to get hit around here at Priest Lake...there are way too many of them and they become a bit of a nuisance, coming into peoples yards scavenging for food. I see a dead one every once in a while down on the highway. Apparently they are too elusive for most of the predators around here.
Tons here too. I apparently committed a federal crime coming back from Trout Lake a few years ago, turkey flew up out of the ditch next to the highway and I totally nailed it, feather explosion. Felt really bad but by that time the accident is over.