Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions? New to hiking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fishing

Fishing
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:28 pm 
I'm new to real hiking and I would like to plan a mountain trip somewhere in the cascades later this year anyone have suggestion. I'm in shape I can walk pretty much anywhere uphill is not an issue for me. I would like to get to a summit somewhere in the cascades with a nice view maybe a lake on the way down or up to fish. Any suggestions I have been reading around for awhile now but I would like to know what others would suggest. Distance isnt an issue either

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:42 pm 
Hello Camron and welcome to the site! wink.gif If you are in Warden, you can come over I-90 and you've pretty much got your choice - north or south. There's no shortage of destination sites in the Cascades!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Fishing

Fishing
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 10:56 pm 
Thank you and thanks for the response.I realize there are plenty of places that's why I wanted suggestions on what would be a good place for my first summit hike. Somewhere I could mostly stay on trail. I've been using wta and found of bunch of places along with using google maps I see quite a few within 110 miles of me and closer I just want an idea of what would be good mountain to start with. I was looking at a burnt mtn, shellrock peak or mt aix and tumac mtn along with many others in around same area was wondering if anyone around here had any other suggestions and if those were good places for someone that's never really done a mtn hike I've done plenty of hiking I've done some kinda steep terrain. I wouldnt be going alone but the person I would be going with is probably even less experienced than me. And also wondering what I should bring with besides the basic food water and first aid.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:16 am 
Camron wrote:
And also wondering what I should bring with besides the basic food water and first aid.
https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8030983 Welcome to the site, I don't hike much off 1-90, since I have a place up by Granite Falls, but I'm sure others will be helpful.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:42 am 
Ohhhhhh.............. Well.... don't bite off more than you can chew for starters. Head down to Vantage on 90. Then to Ellensburgh. Then down 82 to Yakima. Then west on 12 to the junction at Naches with US12. West on 12 to Packwood. Turn onto FS 84 and drive up to the trailhead to High Rock. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/giffordpinchot/recarea/?recid=31300 Great starter. Short trail. Big pay-off at the top if you hit the right day and it's clear. Distance involved may require you to get an early start. Trip report HERE Should be lots of other trip reports on it here and at Washington Trails Association's site WTA.org

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:04 am 
Tumac is great, really hits the lake with fish part. Great views from up there too. You could fish a dozen lakes in a long weekend.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:25 am 
Hannegan Peak, in Mount Baker country. There's a trail every step of the way, which is good if you're a new hiker. It's sunny. The views are stunning. There's a nice camp along the way if you want to spend a night out. It's worth the drive.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 am 
Or Tongue Mtn. south of Randle. It has a scary bit just before the top but we have taken dogs and little kids up to the top. Contact the Cowlitz Valley Ranger District in Randle.
The Used Dog snuffling around on top.
The Used Dog snuffling around on top.
Maybe just drive north and hike up Bonaparte Mtn.? It isn't really in the Cascades but it has a trail and a lookout at the top. It is NE of Tonasket. Actually, there are a few different ways to hike it. You did not include McNeil Peak in your list. I have done that one but it was in a white out. I think there was a trail to the top. It should have a nice view. I don't know why we went up in a white out, but we were young and stupid and did it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RichP

RichP
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 7:47 am 
Peaks with lookouts usually have good views. Here's a pretty good list but there are more. https://seattle.curbed.com/2019/7/17/20697072/fire-lookout-tower-trails-hikes

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 8:57 am 
start with the basics ...read some beginner books at the library on gear and overnighter tips...lotsa good info... Follow the old school rules..always take enuf extra warm clothes, bivy tarp ...lighters with cotton balls (Vaseline)....foam sit pad... for overnight, even if day hiking.... better yet try to get on a simple trip with people here who have all the extra gear to see what we use. and take for peak-bagging. edit: oh your post said hiking..day hiking?...backpacking is a different sport...BUT since we had like 12 people killed this year be sure your prepared for overnighters....simple mistakes can turn serious. since your peak bagging... know when to turn around, early summer season snow avalanches and cornices are very serious things...usually into july ...read the mountaineers club book.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 10:26 am 
I would also encourage you to get a guidebook at the library or online. There are hiking guidebooks that cover every area of the state. At the beginning they will tell you what you need to carry, what you need to look out for, and plenty of other things you wouldn't have thought to ask. Once you choose a hike in a book, it's always good to check on the WTA website to make sure the road or trail isn't having issues that would prevent you from getting there. For example-- Craig Romano's guidebooks are quite good: https://www.amazon.com/Day-Hiking-Cascades-Craig-Romano/dp/1594850941/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?adgrpid=56111189175&hvadid=274737391600&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9033339&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=6715312613813074554&hvtargid=kwd-301203894613&hydadcr=5411_10076146&keywords=craig+romano&qid=1579109043&sr=8-7

Fishing

Fishing
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:43 pm 
I dont think my photo uploaded right but I just went to google maps went to west of ellensburg and typed in hikingareas. And also typed in mountain peaks in separate search it will show you general area of what I was looking at One of the general areas Iwas looking at. And I will check out the library for books we have a small library so hopefully I will find something. Thanks for all the links and information. What type of year is usually best for hiking and I was thinking of back packing I would like to find a place with a campsite on the way down maybe by a lake that's why tumac was on my list. I know some ofthe others on that list were a bit extreme I think. I have just been getting general ideas from google maps and then looking at them on WTA theres so many inhavnt even gotten close to looking at them all on WTA . I am trying to stick west of ellensburg or Leavenworth. Figure that gives me plenty of choices. I figured ideal time would be April-July I would like to go put early as possible but wanna be safe as well. I.defintly agree i need to find someone on here with experience that wouldnt mind tagging along.

Fishing

Fishing
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:07 pm 
Fishing

Fishing
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:13 pm 
High rock does look interesting I was looking at that one as well. I know some of the ones I mentioned are probably a little much especially aix I just want to get to the highest elevation I can while staying on trail.. I'm thinking about starting off probably with higher rock or tumac. Unless I get more suggestions that are closer and still have a good elevation gain

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:15 pm 
Camron wrote:
I.defintly agree i need to find someone on here with experience that wouldnt mind tagging along.
No you don't. Sure you can if you want but you don't "need" to do this. Strike out on your own, choose something reasonable for a first time overnighter and make adjustments in gear if you screw something up. You won't die if your boots are too heavy or lightweight, and most people don't die if they get little too wet or spend a cold night. There are lots of lake destinations or long trails passing by a lake also have bumps and peaks nearby. There may not be a named trail to the bump or peak, so you may not find it on WTA's site as a named hike. Take kiliki's suggestion of Craig Romano's Backpacking Washington book, or his Day Hiking series, which often suggest longer hikes. The man knows his stuff. Do that, and you're golden. April-July might be way too early for summits and lakes in most areas; the Teanaway would be good for June/July though, and some places around Leavenworth, but April would likely be too early for even those areas.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert