Forum Index > Trail Talk > Baggin’ peaks... but with which bag?!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drv8535
Darrick

drv8535
Darrick
PostSat Sep 26, 2020 11:25 pm 
Genuine question for all the peak bagging pros... sorry if it seems like more of a noob question. If you’ve set out on a multiday trip with your main pack, and you’re going to bag peaks along the way, what pack do you bring up the peak? Specifically, when scrambling and technical gear isn’t needed (meaning, you won’t have a bunch of rope and other heavy gear). I’ve heard/seen multiple options and I am trying to weigh the pros and cons and would appreciate any advice. Do you: 1) empty out the majority of your contents from your main pack, and take that up the peak, 2) bring ANOTHER, smaller pack for peak baggin’ day hikes, 3) bring nothing extra and just carry your water bottle in your hand up the peak because you’re one of those ultra dudes and can manage the entire day on 12oz of water???, 4) or maybe even fanny pack it (lol, saw this once). Currently, I do option 1. But it gets awkward with a huge pack that is barely 1/3 full - just looks weird.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Sep 26, 2020 11:29 pm 
Some old school packs have a top with straps that turns into a fanny pack. Most current ultralight packs dispense with this feature to save weight just having a whitewater bag top. Dan Macale has it as an option.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
meck

meck
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 7:37 am 
I occasionally have just used my main pack, only 1/4 - 1/3 full, like you mentioned for bagging nearby peaks. These days I typically bring a large fanny pack (350 cubic inches) with shoulder straps (so it is worn basically like a back pack but lower down) for my gear and a camel back for water; I've found this works well with very little added weight.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
drv8535
Darrick

drv8535
Darrick
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 9:48 am 
Meck, brand? Or model?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 10:10 am 
I usually tame a marmot and put saddle bags on my new friend. I don't think it's worth the extra weight or pack space to carry a second pack. Most of the weight is gone once you reach camp. Amazon has fold up cloth backpacks that weigh ounces, obviously no frame or anything, might be with looking into.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 12:30 pm 
I’m not a peakbagger but I always take my Sea to Summit Ultra Sil daypack on multi-day trips. It weighs 2.87 oz. and holds two liters. You can cram an amazing amount of stuff in it and I store my clothes in it inside the backpack when not using it. There is no waist band or chest strap so I just bring a little bungee cord to keep it from slipping off my shoulders.
Triad Lake from High Pass 9/1-9/6/20
Triad Lake from High Pass 9/1-9/6/20

meck

meck
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 12:39 pm 
@ drv8535: It was one I made myself based on the pattern of a fanny pack that an acquaintance used for hunting. The packstraps were ones I also made from 2" and 1" webbing and a few buckles (very simple). The fanny pack is made from cordura (fairly thin, 500 denier?), only has two pockets and does not weigh much at all. A simpler design would be possible.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 1:35 pm 
I use a Zpacks multipack. My arc blast itself weighs less than either of my Osprey day packs. The multi pack is feather wieght. I bought it on ebay, it was included with a pack with every conceivable extra that zpacks offers. Ebay is great for picking up stuff when people realize they can't enjoy an ultra lite pack w/o going ultra lite in their other gear first.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 3:38 pm 
I always bring my zpack front pack for my cell phone, snacks and a small water bottle. What I love about it is you can remove the waist belt and slide the waistband from your backpack through it. It also works with my knapsacks. It weighs 2.08 oz.. I did break the zipper after three years though, just got another one.

b00

b00
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 7:53 pm 
this is a tough question as each peak has different issues. my current strategy is a either use my regular pack(mchale) or my zpacks multipack: https://zpacks.com/products/multi-pack short answer: a conditional plus one on the zpacks. detailed answer: i have zpacks multipack attached to my shoulder strap so it acts as a front pack for my water bottle. it detaches easily and quickly converts to a fanny pack or could use, but don't, as an over one shoulder pack. i usually then have my gps in one pocket, a wind shirt and food in another, (if needed) a puffy tied around my waist, then a liter of water and more food in the zpack. my camera on a biner attached to the zpacks belt. skins go there too and ski crampons go there too. the zpack mulitpack is outstanding, but with one very major weakness - the lightweight zipper fails easily :<( . i have gone through at least 4 or 5 of them. my wife kindly replaced the zipper on a recent one and it is holding together fine. i do not appreciate them saving weight with the zipper, but i understand it is a selling point that people look for rather than functionality. also, i have never figured out how to store an ice axe and crampons with it. if i think i need to do that, i take my pack. :>)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 8:37 pm 
FWIW The REI Flash 18 is basically a glorified stuff sack with shoulder straps added. It's not a bad "summit pack" and you can use it to stuff the tent or something. The other approach is to get a more "mid sized" pack that doesn't feel like overkill with a day load. E.g. Yes a 70 liter pack is ridiculous for a "day trip" but what if you adopt a minimalist approach to your overnight gear and pare the weight and bulk down something in the sub-50 liter range.

rossb

rossb
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 8:50 pm 
I do option 1. It fits fine and works well (once I tighten up the compression straps a bit). The only problem is that it is often too cavernous -- everything is at the bottom, and I have to rummage around down there (instead of stacked up fairly well, like in day hiking). Most of the people I hike with do the same thing, but I know a guy with a really lightweight pack he uses for side trips. It doesn't have a waist belt, and seems kind of inadequate much of the time.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 9:41 pm 
I use an REI flash pack too, but it's not a very good solution. I use it as a stuff stack for the backpack days and a day pack for the summit days. But it's so cheaply made that it's not reliable. My biggest problem has been accidentally stepping on the waist or chest strap when picking it up and ripping out the stitching. Also, the draw string top closure leaves a small hole at the top which even a little bit of rain will get into.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 10:38 pm 
rossb wrote:
I do option 1. It fits fine and works well (once I tighten up the compression straps a bit). The only problem is that it is often too cavernous -- everything is at the bottom, and I have to rummage around down there (instead of stacked up fairly well, like in day hiking). Most of the people I hike with do the same thing, but I know a guy with a really lightweight pack he uses for side trips. It doesn't have a waist belt, and seems kind of inadequate much of the time.
I recently learned that I can't use a pack without being frustrated unless it has a side zipper or some other way in. I have a 70L Osprey pack with a front zip, that's fine. Just retired a day pack that unzips like a suitcase. frown.gif A quick and easy way into the bottom makes this a non issue for me.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSun Sep 27, 2020 11:39 pm 
For the last three years I have used a Mountain Gear Hyperlight 45L for 95 percent of my trips. I works great for almost everything I do. It packs up for up to a 4 day trip really well, but also packs down small enough to work well as a summit pack while I’m just out from camp. I love that thing. It’s getting pretty worn out, and I think I’ll definitely be replacing it with another of the same.