Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Lyle Mays passing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 11:46 pm 
I don’t usually post much in Saloon, but since I listen to his music often while on long, boring winter road walks, I feel I must acknowledge the passing of Lyle Mays at age 66, the incredibly talented contemporary jazz pianist who collaborated with Pat Metheny for many years. My daughter and I were fortunate to be able to attend one of their concerts at the Paramount Theater and were completely mesmerized by Lyle’s stunning performance on a gorgeous grand piano. R.I.P Lyle, your music lives on.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 11:52 am 
I am deeply saddened by Lyle's passing. I loved the Pat Metheny Group and Lyle did some great stuff on his own too. I particularly liked "A Highland Air"(
) and the rich flavor he brought to much of Pat Metheny's early music. He will be missed but not forgotten.

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
silence

silence
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 8:42 am 
Shocking. So sad. What a great loss. Here’s a little story about this kind man and incredibly talented musician Back in Nov 2003 we went camping for a couple of days at the Hoh. Robert was just beginning to hone his skills as a videographer (using a Sony mini-DV camera) and learning some basic editing (using Premiere). I loved the short he created from that trip and decided to enter it in the local Hazel Wolf Environmental Film Fest. We were hoping to just get some constructive feedback from the judges, but they actually accepted it and wanted to screen it. This was way before Crest Pictures was born. Video was just a new medium Robert was trying out and loving, so he carried his camcorder on our trips. Anyhow, unfortunately, we hadn’t gotten permission to use the music he had chosen to edit by. So, I thought …well, I’ll just contact the artist and ask for the rights. It was Lyle Mays and the tune was "Close to Home" from his solo 1986 album, which we had in our collection being big fans. It took a few months and few follow-up letters to his manager before the phone rang one morning and to my surprise it was Lyle on the other end. He apologized for the delay (said it had been lost in the shuffle), asked about the project, said he loved the idea, and granted us the right to use his music at no cost since it was for no profit. "Lifespring" was screened at the Hazel Wolf in Mar 2004, and subsequently broadcasted by KCTS 9 on their independent NW filmmakers series. View this now vintage and sadly memorial short film here (be sure to crank the sound): https://vimeo.com/channels/crestpictures/19195264

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 10:30 am 
Thank you silence, what an exquisite piece of work. I imagine Lyle must have loved it!