Forum Index > Trip Reports > Three days in the Daniel J Evans wilderness, WA’s largest!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Damian

Damian
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 9:21 pm 
Thanks for looking after my spot. Since I'm usually the only one there when I go I consider it MY wilderness wink.gif. I mean seriously, you think ol Governer Dan's ever been to Toleak Pt? (I have no clue. Maybe he has more times than me) Sorry I missed you guys. Nothing like listening to old Pink Floyd, Traffic, and BTO around the late night ocean campfire with my good friend Sluggo.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 10:18 pm 
You should have been there. Sunday night was magical. Warm, with gentle breezes, the soft, salty beach air, driftwood in abundance, the fragrance of roasting corn.....wait, what? embarassedlaugh.gif I had bought some corn tortillas at Trader Joe’s, they were awful! Rubbery and tasteless. Mike flapped one back and forth in his hand, said it reminded him of the rubber discs used to keep water from going down the kitchen sink. Then he bit into it, just to try it, and spit it into the fire, exclaiming “that was the worst tortilla I ever tasted!” I then took the whole stack and burned them up, good riddance! But they smelled good as a burnt offering. lol.gif Luckily Marc had some good tortillas, which we used as wraps around the beer brats Mike brought. We cooked them the old fashioned way, impaled on sharpened sticks. One departure from normal: no liquor. Really, none at all, either night. Good thing I brought mass quantities of 90% pure concentrated.... you know. ace.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 11:02 pm 
TJs tortillas are unacceptable for hiking, get Mission loaded with preservatives ones last for ever but taste like mush.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 10:30 am 
Slugman wrote:
Sunday night was magical. Warm, with gentle breezes, the soft, salty beach air, driftwood in abundance, the fragrance of roasting corn
Yer killin me.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 10:49 am 
Damian wrote:
Nothing like listening to old Pink Floyd, Traffic, and BTO
I bet that gets crowded. But a good crowd.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 11:06 am 
I had jams prepared just for Damian, but we played them anyway. One tasty example:

Damian

Damian
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 1:20 pm 
Oh man! Now I'm really regretful. I love the J Geils band. Some all time best harmonica work by a white guy. Magic Dick and his Likin' Stick.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 6:08 pm 
I am so jealous! That is a great shortcut Sluggo!

Marc Mallang

Marc Mallang
PostFri Feb 21, 2020 11:11 pm 
I keep looking for the trip report that was that was talked about. I had no idea I was camping in the Daniel J Evans wilderness, I'm still trying to process my feelings about this. rolleyes.gif Here's some more photos from the trip.

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 10:55 am 
RodF wrote:
On every visit to a National Park or Forest campground, cabin or fee site, have pride in knowing you've done your part to boost Booz Allen Hamilton's revenues up 11%! That's your fee to pay BoozAllen to operate recreation.gov (on top of the $182 million paid to them up-front to implement it). MAGA!
The government awarded the new Recreation.gov contract on Friday, May 13, 2016 to Booz Allen Hamilton.

Backpackapalooza

Backpackapalooza
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 4:44 pm 
I never realized the largest wilderness area in WA was the Olympics/Dan Evans. Thanks for the factoid. That got me looking at the list of the largest wilderness areas in the US. I was surprised the Pasayten was #4 behind Olys, Stephen Mather, and Glacier Peak. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_wilderness_areas_in_the_United_States

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 5:14 pm 
Good catch, xrp. I don’t mind the $6 if I am making a reservation, this is common for state park camping as well. I thought it strange to also pay it in person with no reservation. The real change from the past is the $8 per person per night. But I try to remember all the times I’ve camped for free, and average it out in my mind.

reststep

reststep
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 5:56 pm 
Does that mean there is no more 50 percent discount with a golden age passport?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 6:09 pm 
No idea, I’m still young in the eyes of the law. wink.gif Mike bought the $45 annual pass, saves money if camping more than 5 nights in a year.