Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Pet divider
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 4:29 pm 
Joey wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
I ended up buying the plastic fencing as Joey suggested and connected it with zip ties. Will be testing it Wed when I plan to return to Wa.
I have this mental image of your cats entertaining themselves by free climbing the fence and hanging on as you truck on down the road.
Lol, more than likely my male cat will, he doesn't travel well. His first trip to Idaho he meowed for nearly the entire 400+ miles, now he just meows off and on for the entire trip. He is also skinny and slippery, so I have to plug up any small gaps leading to the cab, should be interesting. When I moved from Marysville to Verlot I had in the back seat of the truck because I couldn't get him into the kennel. I had the window down maybe 4 inches...going slowly down the street I saw a flash in my mirror, he had went right out and ran into a yard where I had to corral him and get him back into the truck Good thing he has 9 lives. shakehead.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Nov 01, 2023 11:31 pm 
Solved the problem by using a large collapsible dog kennel that has a large door so he can't grab the sides, works great. It has room for a small litter box too, first time I used it he laid in the litter box most of the way so I put a cardboard box in there too and he goes into that. The poor little guy still hates travelling even though he has been back and forth from here to Idaho many times. He knows what's up so he hides when it's time to go, I had to tip the couch over to get him. The past two trips he has thrown up his food which he has never done before, so that's a bit troubling. I feel bad for him, but I can't leave him alone, we are way too dependent upon each other.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Nov 05, 2023 8:33 pm 
Just saw your thread about this, CJ. In 2021 I had to figure out a way to get a somewhat "autistic" older cat across the country with me from the family home in NY. I bought the same metal divider you mentioned in your OP. It fit fine in my Avalon. I also got this comfy crate from SportPet. http://www.sportpet.com/products/cm0259_popopen_kennel.html It's not designed to be used as a carrier, just a safe, contained space. My sister bought three for her cats to move across several states; just lined them up in the back of her Jeep. I got "Tweety" used to using it in the house first. Then I tricked out the whole back seat of the car for her comfort. My thinking was she could move around back there at will, litterbox on the floor, etc. and be more comfortable since I was driving at least 8 hrs or more per day. It didn't go well. She was terrified of the car and hid under the pile of blankets that was underneath the crate. Use the litterbox on the floor? Uh, no. What I had to do on the 2nd day on the road was get a small plastic storage box slightly less than half the size of the crate for a litter box, and zip it and her in. She didn't like it, but got used to it. Fortunately she was a champ in the motels; she had a familiar blankie from home on the bed, treats, litterbox in the bathroom, and was content. She figured out the routine after a couple days and it wasn't easy getting her out from under the bed when it was time to leave. I had to figure a way to fake her out. It was quite the rodeo, but we made it. Now she loves to sit in the carrier on my patio. I call it her "duck blind".
sportpet crate
sportpet crate
the cat mobile
the cat mobile
at Motel 6: "Who's in the parking lot?
at Motel 6: "Who's in the parking lot?
in the duck blind
in the duck blind

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Chief Joseph