Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cheese Rock: 02/15/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Feb 15, 2020 11:16 pm 
Headed out for an afternoon snowshoe trip today. Avalanche control closure at the pass set us back 45 minutes, but we still had plenty of daylight left. There was only one other car parked at the turnaround when we arrived. Within a couple of minutes, the driver of the other car came back with his dog. He got in his car, left the dog outside on its leash, and then proceeded to drive away while pulling the dog on its leash alongside the car. He then stopped, removed the leash, and continued driving while making the dog run alongside the car. After reaching the end of the straightaway, he hit the gas, leaving the dog to (presumably) run after the car. I don't know what the hell that guy was doing, but it was really disturbing. We were pretty stunned, but sadly, there wasn't much we could do at that point other than to keep an eye out for the dog on our way out. We headed on our way. Pebbles was so, so happy to be back in the snow:
After a mile of road walking, we explored the sandstone formations along the ridge before heading out to Cheese Rock. I never get tired of the interesting formations in this region.
Did the whole thing in reverse and got back to the car with daylight to spare. Didn't see the dog on the way out, so hopefully all is well.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Feb 16, 2020 1:09 am 
weird story about that dog. huh.gif fabulous rocks. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Feb 17, 2020 7:35 pm 
At face value, that sounds like a case of cruelty to an animal. I hope there is another side to the story, and that the dog turned out OK.
fourteen410 wrote:
Great example of what we geologists call a 'precarious boulder.' It might bring on a feeling of uneasiness to stand on top of it, even though it outweighs the climber by a factor of at least a few hundred tons. eek.gif
fourteen410 wrote:
These holes are fabulous examples of tafoni. In our region they are most common in sandstone as with your visited area. When the holes are small ( a few cm in diameter) the structure is usually called honeycomb weathering.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Feb 17, 2020 9:39 pm 
What a cool place. Love those pics of Pebbles!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Feb 17, 2020 9:53 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
These holes are fabulous examples of tafoni.
Cool, now I have a name for that. Ever been to City of Rocks in Idaho? Tons of it there. This reminds me a lot of it.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Feb 17, 2020 9:57 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Ever been to City of Rocks in Idaho? Tons of it there. This reminds me a lot of it.
Yes, tafoni also occur in granitic rock such as at COR, as well as in limestone and other rocks. The holes are more of a weathering feature rather than directly tied to lithology. Google for more detail.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 10:17 pm 
Always appreciate your insight Brushbuffalo. This place seemed like a geologist's candy store.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 10:33 pm 
WTF? Sorry, the part about the dog sounds horrible. Your dog is adorable, I love the third picture. I was heading up into the mountains and saw about the highway closure on the electronic signs. Came back a couple hours later and the freeway was in perfect shape. The snow was firmer than I expected. Probably great snowshoe conditions? Very much appreciate Brushbuffalo's insight, better understanding what I'm looking at always deepens my appreciation.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 11:01 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Probably great snowshoe conditions?
We had on and off again cascade concrete - even encountered bare ground on the ridge! I do know that JimK went here a couple days later and had a decent amount of fresh snow to ski in though.

contour5

contour5
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 11:17 pm 
Great pictures! The precarious boulder is uniquely disturbing...