Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Rohr, BC 02-17-2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 10:59 pm 
Western WA seems to be trapped in a pattern where it's rainy on the weekends and sunny during the week. down.gif I was going to go snowshoe in the cruddy weather, but Jake and Steven convinced me to use my shiny new-ish passport (obtained for the Chiliwacks last year!) and go to the Pemberton area. The three of us snowshoed to Mt Caspar in a bitterly cold near whiteout on Sunday. Weather promised to be good on Monday, but Canadian Family Day nonwithstanding, Steven had to return to work but suggested Mt Rohr to Jake and I for Monday. We were not disappointed! We slept at the trailhead, zero degree sleeping bags a good idea. Here is the inside of the car window that morning.
We set off around 9am, Jake on skis and me on snowshoes. The route starts right off the highway on a packed ski trail that appears to follow gradually uphill roads for over 1.5 miles, then switchbacks steeply up the forest. There are tracks everywhere, so watch where you're heading! There are lots of orange diamonds on trees and occasional flags on trees marking the trail routes to the lakes in the area. After I lead us the wrong way by following snowshoe tracks instead of ski tracks to the left of a sign reading WTH (go uphill/right here!), we re-routed, which was laborious for me with all the postholing until reaching the main track again. We assessed a steep open slope as unconcerning given the lack of wind loading and well supported by visible boulders.
This was super tiring for me because I posholed where jake easily skiied on a packed trail. After that slope (total vert gained about 1700 to this point), we reached the basin of Rohr Lake, crossing the lake easily
After another short uphill we reached the upper lake basin, which on the map appears to have more lakes and probably lots of gorgeous rocks biggrin.gif But for now just miles of untouched powder. We ran out of ski tracks to follow and break the rest of the trail on our own. Jake dug in a bit and I postholed in his tracks. I was starting to wonder if I'd make it to the summit, which loomed oh-so-far ahead of us in the wide open powder snow terrain.
The forecast for the Rohr summit was 5f that day. It was so cold I spent most of the trip breathing through my R1 and was never able to take off my gloves. I even wore my alti-mitts while hiking uphill!
All the postholing was exhausting and I wondered if I'd make it. But I eventually did, 4 hours after we left the car. The summit views were worth it!
Jake was able to ski down a lot faster than I could snowshoe down. He was extremely pleased by the skiing. smile.gif
We took a more direct route down from the lake, which required even more postholing by me. I was relieved to reach the packed trail. Trip is about 11 miles/3900 vertical and took us exactly 7 hours (4 up, some summit time but omg it was cold! so not too long, then about 2 hours 45 minutes down). Skis would significantly decrease the down time. Rohr Summit is at 7949 elevation. This is a gorgeous location with stunning views!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 12:15 am 
Thanks for the report! Great to see those BC peaks.

Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 7:25 am 
@jeff, the road was great! even i, the winter driving whimp, felt fine on the roads. they were well plowed and sanded. @gimpilator, thanks!

BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 9:55 am 
Bluebird wrote:
Good view of the big landslide that happened back in the spring, as discussed in this thread