Forum Index > Trail Talk > Personal use permits
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 7:13 am 
Just looking at the local ranger district website and didn't realize that a permit is required for harvesting Berries on USFS land. Has anyone got one of these for that purpose? Forest Products Permits Forest products are non-timber vegetative material used for personal, commercial and scientific purposes such as firewood, Christmas trees, wildflowers, cones, poles, tree boughs, nuts and berries, mushrooms, ornamental cuttings, moss and rocks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 8:35 am 
I seem to remember the GPNF requiring non commercial huckleberry pickers to get permits during the 1990s. The permits were free. It took so much administrative time that they quit doing it. I do think they started it up again but am not sure. I'm thinking it would be for research purposes as there is such demand for the berries and old patches are getting shaded out by trees. Don't get me started. Commercial berry pickers must buy a permit and have had to do so for a long time. On the GPNF, some of that money goes for a garbage dumpster and enforcement of camping rules. Special Forest Products permits generate a lot of money. You do not need a permit to gather firewood for your campfire. For some of the other things listed, there is usually a bit of discretion used depending on the amount. Like I don't think anybody would bust you for taking a couple of sticks home.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 9:52 am 
Google search "Special Forest Products Permit <name of forest here>" (e.g., "Special Forest Products Permit Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest") Rules are all spelled out on their websites. I found this one rather interesting:
MBSNF wrote:
Removal of berries is also prohibited from legislated Wilderness areas

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 10:47 am 
I have to fill out a special use permit every time I use one of my Dan McHale packs on a hike! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 11:01 am 
Ski wrote:
I found this one rather interesting:
MBSNF wrote:
If you eat them on the spot does that count as removal?

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 11:06 am 
They are relatively easy to get. You just go to the ranger district. A lot of the times the staff have never heard of this before, though, so it can take longer than you might expect!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 11:17 am 
Ski wrote:
MBSNF wrote:
Yup, that rule has been on the books of the GPNF for a long time. If one were to pick in the wilderness, one was advised by other unscrupulous folks to take empty wide mouth water bottles that could be stashed in one's pack. If.... The same goes for the Mt St Helens monument, which is chock full of huckleberry brush and in my mind, should be open for picking and I don't mean banjos.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 12:23 pm 
Schroder wrote:
It might depend on which National Forest you are in. In Mount Baker-Snoqualmie, I believe it would fall under incidental use. I suspect there's a similar clause for most of the other forests, but I haven't checked.
Quote:
Incidental Use Permits are not required in certain situations: forest products may be consumed or used while on the forest without a permit. For example, berries or mushrooms may be eaten in the woods or down wood may be gathered for a campfire (on the forest) without a permit. Except where otherwise noted, it is not legal to remove products collected from the forest without a permit. Up to one (1) gallon of berries is considered incidental use and does not require a permit. Enjoy the berries as you visit the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/passes-permits/forestproducts/?cid=fseprd500110

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 12:46 pm 
I found a perfect hiking stick once and took it home at the end of my hike. Didn't realize I was a hardened criminal.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 12:51 pm 
This has always been the case as far as I know. I’ve never picked even close to a gallon to take home, so no biggie for me. Same with mushrooms; no permit needed for me. I think the thing about wilderness areas in GPNF is tribal rights. At least, I know there is one area that was usually picked clean by visitors, leaving next to none for tribes. Not sure if that location is in wilderness (I don’t think so), but anyway that’s what came to my mind; tribal rights.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 4:15 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I found a perfect hiking stick once and took it home at the end of my hike. Didn't realize I was a hardened criminal.
Oh man, this brings up an unpleasant memory. I was out on a volunteer trail crew for the PCTA and working with a teenager. He was enjoying working and I showed him how to use a Pulaski with finesse. I'm thinking he found a cool to him chunk of wood and had been whittling on it a bit and was putting it in his pack to take home. UNTIL a more righteous volunteer came along and informed him that he needed a permit to remove it, blah blah blah and insisted he leave it. It's one of those times I wish I had been more assertive and packed it out for him. Sheesh, it was just a thick stick and there was plenty of wood on the ground in that area. We were clearing the trail! Oh well. Maybe I should have built a campfire.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 5:38 pm 
I was backpacking on northern Ross Lake when I found mine. I had taken the water taxi and been dropped off, we had a pickup time and location a few days later. It's a great experience everyone should have at least once. Besides just being a beautiful place, the feeling of commitment when the boat leaves, it's different from other backpacking. Anyway, I find this perfect walking stick which is useful and also a good reminder of a good time. I didn't know if they'd let me bring it on the ferry back. But it was no problem, and it's in the gear closet with my skis. 🙂 I think everybody on this site has enough judgement and experience to do the right things. None of us are taking bear cubs home and teaching them to dance.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 6:14 pm 
Was up at Hozomeen once getting ready to pull out with a canoe and the Ranger came over and asked where we were going and got to talking. He mentioned that a guy who own a restaurant in Vancouver had been coming by and rustling mushrooms. He was pulling out gunnysacks of morels and chanterelles and running them cross the border. I agreed that was pretty unreasonable.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 9:29 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Ski wrote:
MBSNF wrote:
I think if you are backpacking long enough that you" leave it there still" your definitely in the clear. 🤣

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Brockton

Brockton
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 10:21 pm 
A few years ago, when I got interested in harvesting nettles in the spring, I called the ranger station in North Bend to see if I needed a permit or anything to pick them on NF land. They were quite confused by my question. I got the sense that noone would care if I picked a few for personal use. I lost ambition and never ended up going, at any rate.