Forum Index > Trip Reports > *
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostFri Feb 21, 2020 8:48 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri Feb 21, 2020 9:25 pm 
Looks excellent and lucky you to have such good weather.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Feb 21, 2020 10:42 pm 
Great pics and great fun. Thanks for posting.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Feb 21, 2020 11:00 pm 
Looks beautiful! up.gif Need to get back out there - it's been 30 years...

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri Feb 21, 2020 11:25 pm 
I have great memories from Cape Alava. Beautiful spot. Glad your son and friend enjoyed it - and how could they not? smile.gif There’s a bit of an oddity in one of your pictures (pic 16) - is that a small dead whale / big fish on the beach? Or a log formation? And what is the house / structure in picture 20, I don’t remember seeing that when I was there some years ago.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 21, 2020 11:58 pm 
The picture on 16 looks like a baby gray whale to me. The structure on 20 was part of the archeological dig on the Ozette Reservation, it is North of Cape Alava and is not seen if you do the triangle hike.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 8:07 am 
That looks amazing! Great job getting the kids out on a backpack!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 10:36 am 
Nice trip report and photos; good to see the young ones getting out. One of our favorites which we try to do a couple of times a year in the spring and fall. Once in a while we'll do it in the winter - in fact we're watching the extended forecast right now to see if the conditions might shape up for an overnight hike. There used to be a sign at the base of Tskawahyah Island stating that it is tribal land, considered sacred and off limits. Is that sign still there?

The only easy day was yesterday...
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 10:37 am 
fabulous stuff, alpendave! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 1:31 pm 
I talked to the park staff about it, and their attitude is that it's up to the tribe to inform the public by putting up/maintaining a sign. If someone from ONP does it without tribal agreement/permission, then they're trespassing. I got the impression when I read the sign that walking around the island at low tide was "okay", going to the top was not. You didn't know, so shouldn't feel guilty about it.

graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 6:26 pm 
alpendave wrote:
graywolf wrote:
I talked to the park staff about it, and their attitude is that it's up to the tribe to inform the public by putting up/maintaining a sign. If someone from ONP does it without tribal agreement/permission, then they're trespassing. I got the impression when I read the sign that walking around the island at low tide was "okay", going to the top was not. You didn't know, so shouldn't feel guilty about it.
One thing I will say, it is strange that a sacred site (the place where the Makkah village was destroyed by a tsunami in the 1700’s) still has the eye sore of the old ranger station with its garbage strewn about. Perhaps the island is the only sacred spot, but (unless the rangers misinformed us), if the ranger station is now on the Ozette Reservation, it is essentially the same spot and attempts at restoration/removal should be made.
If you walk north on the trail as far as you can, you will come across a sign stating that you are entering the reservation. This is before you reach the old ranger station. A few years ago, there was a young native couple staying there for a few days doing some cleaning and repairs, but that was the last time I saw any attempt at keeping the place clean. Even the small hut that houses the memorial, which is just north of the ranger station, used to receive regular care. Now, it looks like it is being let go. Very sad... If you get the chance, read Ruth Kirk's book "Ozette: Excavating a Makah Whaling Village".

tinman

tinman
PostSat Feb 22, 2020 7:16 pm 
The Ranger Station was built and staffed by the Makah Tribe for a few years following the end of the archeological dig to prevent looting of the digs. It is located on the reservation and has not been staffed for many many years.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
jared_j

jared_j
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 6:54 am 
Your son’s dab photo makes this for me! Love it!