Forum Index > Trip Reports > Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park - The Biggest Redwoods Discovered
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lcometto

lcometto
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 7:30 am 
Ann Elk - as always, thank you for your complements! I really hope that you make it back down to the redwoods and are able to see the wilderness where these giants live. The Boy Scout Tree Trail featured above is a particularly good one to start with. There's a sense of awe and timelessness to these forests that's hard to put into words. Riverside Laker - That sounds like a crazy experience. I have yet to see the sequoias in person. And congratulations on being a grandfather!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 7:49 am 
I hope you all have read "The Wild Trees" by Richard Preston. If not, please do. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
lcometto

lcometto
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 8:06 am 
I have read it! I'm a big fan of that "Day of Discovery" story. A classic read for sure.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 8:55 am 
Great pictures. Tall Trees Grove in the national park section is also one not to miss. We were there in December.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Feb 26, 2020 11:34 am 
Lookout Bob wrote:
I hope you all have read "The Wild Trees" by Richard Preston.
I have it right here, on my "to read" pile!!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
mdvaden
M.D. Vaden of Oregon

mdvaden
M.D. Vaden of Oregon
PostMon Jun 21, 2021 7:41 am 
neek wrote:
Thanks for the report. We're heading that way soon, if you have any other Redwood recommendations. Too bad we'll miss Mill Creek.
Just stumbled on this post today and messaged Lucas about an edit for his site related to a redwood in this thread. He stated that one redwood is in Jedediah Smith, which is actually a tree next to Drury parkway in Prairie Creek park. This is the redwood farther south: Juggernaut Redwood in Prairie Creek I was in this Jedediah Smith park, June 2021, and the number of visitors is about 400% right now due to very long delays on Hy. 101 prompting people to stop at Jed Smith rather than wait for Prairie Creek and Redwood National. Its not the best time to visit Jedediah, but if you care to go, start at sunrise and hike early as possible if you want a more quiet experience.

mdvaden
M.D. Vaden of Oregon

mdvaden
M.D. Vaden of Oregon
PostMon Jun 21, 2021 5:11 pm 
lookout bob wrote:
I hope you all have read "The Wild Trees" by Richard Preston. If not, please do. cool.gif
The book is a fun read. The writing is a good work that unexpectedly produced bad results. The damage and millions of dollars spent in Jedediah Smith park are the result of Preston's book and describing a grove of titans being near a creek that must be close to Howland Hill Rd. Years spent working and exploring with Taylor, Atkins and Sillett revealed which parts of the book were embellished and which were plain matter of fact. There are some accounts from main characters that were never expected or meant to be published. But the book is worth buying and reading fully.