Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mountain weather forecasts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooandLu

MooandLu
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 8:46 am 
I am new to hiking/backpacking at higher elevations and in "real" mountains (I'm used to hiking PA/NJ), and realize I need to be more responsible about trip preparedness, especially in terms of weather. With cold weather around the corner, I want to make sure I know what to expect and pack appropriate gear (with the knowledge that forecasts always change, of course). Does anyone have any preferred way of tracking weather--specific websites or tips, especially within wilderness areas where there's not a weather station? I try to approximate by looking at a nearby town/trailhead plus mountain-forecast.com, but am wondering if others have tips. For example, I was hoping to head to Glacier Peak Wilderness this weekend for a 3-night/4-day loop from Bald Eagle trailhead up to Dishpan Gap, Blue Lakes, Red Pass, Glacier Peak meadows, White Pass, and back down to the Sauk River trail. If you were doing this trip, would you just check out mountain-forecast for Glacier Peak? Thanks for putting up with my noob question smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooandLu

MooandLu
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 9:07 am 
Jeff wrote:
Also weather.gov has just about every geographic feature for point forecasts. Try Dishpan Gap. I find their model less accurate, but still pretty good.
Good timing, I was just on weather.gov and I didn't realize you could zero in on a place on the map. I'm looking at weather for Johnson Ridge which looks close, and it's not terribly encouraging (90% of rain on Friday bawl.gif ) but at least I know! Thank you!

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 9:12 am 
In addition to the above... Windy.com click on a spot on the map, hit the orange/yellow downward carrot then at the bottom of the page hit compare. This will pull up four forecasts. The degree with which they agree can help inspire confidence or suggest the need to bring extra gear just in case. They also have an app.