Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > To your/our health (Covid-19 thread)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostMon May 25, 2020 2:52 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Lately, I feel like we are doomed. So many people are not educating themselves and are believing what they want to believe rather than what experts are recommending. Here is an example. From The Guardian--stores are banning masks
There is a substantial segment of the population that thinks it is macho not to take precautions or to view one's own carelessness as not important in making others sick. It is basically patriotism to protect lives - just as saving lives is patriotism in a real war. Others are just plain dumb. Images from beaches this weekend in some states and in Wisconsin indicate that two - three weeks from this weekend certain areas will have dramatic rises in infections and hospitalizations; a week later more deaths. Then these infection loci will spread to adjacent areas through travel.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
xman_reborn

xman_reborn
PostMon May 25, 2020 3:43 pm 
I see some fear mongering going on here, and in the media especially. Let's stick to the facts. We've got a big beautiful country here, there's going to be some wacky things going on in a few places. It doesn't mean it's happening everywhere. Deal with it and let's move on to getting our economy going!

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 25, 2020 4:30 pm 
Shopping today I would say a good portion of people not wearing masks. As I walked into the store Bubba decided to come in with six kids not wearing masks either. People just don't seem to get it that it's about protecting others not yourself.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon May 25, 2020 4:54 pm 
Zephyr - that's one of the most informative articles I've read - real life situations of traced infections, backed up by data.
Tom wrote:
Shopping today I would say a good portion of people not wearing masks.
In my Ballard neighborhood stores, it's been just the opposite. The reports of some stores not allowing people in if they ARE wearing masks seem like successful lawsuit material (disability discrimination). Even in the pre-covid times, people who are immune compromised wear masks in public. As a side-note, it's amazing how some small restaurant businesses seem to be managing OK under the current rules. Not only is Cafe Besalu in Ballard doing well, but by 7 am on Sunday, a good portion of their best stuff (online ordering only) was already sold out!!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
xman_reborn

xman_reborn
PostMon May 25, 2020 6:17 pm 
Tom wrote:
Shopping today I would say a good portion of people not wearing masks. As I walked into the store Bubba decided to come in with six kids not wearing masks either. People just don't seem to get it that it's about protecting others not yourself.
Issaquah Costco? hairy.gif QFC by me, everyone pretty much was masking it.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 25, 2020 7:03 pm 
Seems to be 50/50 around here. No one needs the one way signs on the isles at Safeway. I've been mostly ordering my groceries. I'm actually saving money because I'm not making impulse purchases. I'm also waiting a little better ... because I'm not making impulse purchases. smile.gif If you order anything frozen, it comes in this weird insulated sleeve. My cats think they make great mattresses.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon May 25, 2020 7:10 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Zephyr - that's one of the most informative articles I've read - real life situations of traced infections, backed up by data.
Thanks, Anne E. I agree. It sort of helps clarify things a bit. There are several things I miss during lockdown, but now I wonder when/or if they will ever be safe again. ~z

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon May 25, 2020 7:21 pm 
Z- we'll get our first clue in a few weeks, I figure. frown.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon May 25, 2020 7:35 pm 
xman_reborn wrote:
I see some fear mongering going on here, and in the media especially. Let's stick to the facts. We've got a big beautiful country here, there's going to be some wacky things going on in a few places. It doesn't mean it's happening everywhere. Deal with it and let's move on to getting our economy going!
Uh, if this thing continues to replicate there won't be an economy. Folks need to smarten up, listen to experts and deal with that. Fear mongering? I think it is justified. We aren't even close to being out of the woods. We've got politicians and talk show hacks convincing folks to go against what the medical experts are advising. They rile up Bubba and friends and get them to do some dirty work. Bubba caint seem to figger that one out. I guess I can look at it as Darwinism, except some people have to make a difficult choice of staying at home and not getting paid or going to work where there is a good chance of getting sick. Hey, but all that matters is money so they are expendable. This is a sick country in more ways than one.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon May 25, 2020 8:27 pm 
Whenever I read about people minimizing the importance of simple precautions - like masks and social distancing - to minimize the viral spread, I remember the news story about this family: Wife, husband behind Seattle's Kona Kitchen die from corona virus just days apart. I wonder if some of the more vocal protesters would feel and behave differently if this had been their family.

graywolf

graywolf
PostMon May 25, 2020 9:16 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
I wonder if some of the more vocal protesters would feel and behave differently if this had been their family.
It's becoming apparent that this is what will need to happen to make it real for some of these folks.

The only easy day was yesterday...
graywolf

graywolf
PostMon May 25, 2020 9:18 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Hey, but all that matters is money so they are expendable. This is a sick country in more ways than one.
Nailed it. If you watch how folks behave, you see what they worship.

graywolf

graywolf
PostMon May 25, 2020 9:27 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Here's a recent article in the Salt Lake Tribune published today. How the coronavirus spreads in those everyday places we visit Quote: It hasn’t even been five months since health officials in Wuhan, China, reported unusual pneumonia cases to the World Health Organization. But those five months have been the most active in the history of epidemiology. Since that report, we’ve learned so much about the coronavirus. One of the most important lessons? How the disease is spread. In particular, so-called superspreading events seem to be a major cause of infections. One London School of Hygiene analysis suggested that 80% of the secondary transmissions were caused by just 10% of infected people. In other words, if you want to avoid getting COVID-19, one of your major focuses should be avoiding a superspreading event. Then it goes on to describe a variety of events and situations that we find ourselves in and how likely we are to get the virus there. It uses well-documented instances of cases from these events, e.g. bars & clubs, buffets, buses, choirs, church, family gatherings, grocery stores, gyms, malls, offices, planes, polling places, schools, and sports venues and stadiums. It describes a spreading event in each of these places--or not and lessons learned about avoiding situations that might put us at risk. It's not perfect and many of us know these things already, but I thought this presentation was accessible and worth having a look at. ~z . .
Just read that article - very informative! Thank you very much for sharing it.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue May 26, 2020 6:37 am 
although it appears most of the country is trying to stay within guidelines about passing on a contagious disease the CDC reports that: http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/this-is-whos-transmitting-40-percent-of-coronavirus-cases-cdc-says/ar-BB14sRcS?li=BBnba9O because of political references and the ban herein I only post the following for info. If you wish to read it that is up to you. thedailybeast has a couple of very revelant articles concerning government guidelines and past decisions. yall can read and make your own conclusions! uh, I just scanned the above and did not find the article so I give the linky here: https://www.thedailybeast.com/from-vietnam-to-covid-19-the-arrogance-of-ignorance-keeps-killing-americans

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue May 26, 2020 7:13 am 
Having the genes for dementia - even without exhibiting symptoms - apparently DOUBLES the chances of contracting Covid. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/26/research-reveals-gene-role-in-both-dementia-and-severe-covid-19?