Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > To your/our health (Covid-19 thread)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:06 pm 
Altasnob wrote:
My comments are more directed to future plans. It seems we have completely given up on the idea that we can use testing to trace contacts.
I totally agree that we should keep ramping up our testing capabilities until we have the same capacity as those countries where the virus has been successfully contained. And later, if the researchers really want complete data, they should do the blood test for antibodies on everyone who was mildly ill with "something" (like myself), to discover what the true infection & morbidity rates are. Current estimations are very inaccurate.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:33 pm 
Let's try to keep this thread focused on upstream as opposed to water under the bridge.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:37 pm 
We are where we are. A lot of people are struggling in several different ways. Exercise in here has something in common, a love of nature. You'd think everybody does but in my experience most people would rather play video games than go see old growth or the view from a peak. We're all stressed out and blowing off steam. But when you get down to it, we're all in this together.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:38 pm 
The thread has been going pretty well, all things considered. I've amended my evil ways pretty well I think, but I don't appreciate when stuff is allowed to slide under the fence. Everybody here has some take from that angle here, yet it's been pretty restrained.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:41 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
The thread has been going pretty well, all things considered. I've amended my evil ways pretty well I think, but I don't appreciate when stuff is allowed to slide under the fence. Everybody here has some take from that angle here, yet it's been pretty restrained.
Fair enough, I delete it as I came in to this whole thing late.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:47 pm 
OK John, fair enough for me as well, I'll delete mine too. edit: deleted!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:47 pm 
C'mon folks, we know how to keep at least the overt politics out of this. My post at Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:34 am lists 2 articles which state the facts re testing failures without getting into political snark. There's been lots of value contributed in this thread, let's not get it shut down.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:00 pm 
I have a cat that's adorable and loving, but has a behavioral problem. I moved across town recently, he was so terrified he spent the first hour at our new place just panting in fear, inconsolable, the next several days obviously afraid and with no interest in anything. I'm worried about what's going to happen to him if the virus gets me. He'll die of fright in an animal shelter.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:03 pm 
Sorry, Tom!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:04 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I have a cat that's adorable and loving, but has a behavioral problem. I moved across town recently, he was so terrified he spent the first hour at our new place just panting in fear, inconsolable, the next several days obviously afraid and with no interest in anything. I'm worried about what's going to happen to him if the virus gets me. He'll die of fright in an animal shelter.
Ah, a spooky kittie. I have one of those. His nickname is seldom seen, or ghost. He'll come around for a visit if it's been very quiet, but that's it. I've had him since a kitten and he's always been this way. I don't think he's wired quite right, but I like him anyway.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:11 pm 
Bear definitely isn't wired quite right, but he's a good little buddy. Here's a picture when my ex was torturing him, he's a good sport. I don't think anyone else will tolerate him, and this is literally my #1 fear of the coronavirus.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:45 pm 
Here is a good page of resources across the state--The Washington State Coronavirus Response (COVID-19) Not sure if it has been posted yet or not. But it is a general go-to for resources and answers to questions. ~z

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:48 pm 
A look at cases per capita
Quote:
Now, here are the top six countries by confirmed cases per million people (based on population numbers from the CIA World Fact Book) in descending order: Italy (1386.13) Spain (1280.78) Germany (615.57) France (436.17) Iran (380.72) USA (283.30)
Quote:
let's look at confirmed deaths per million people in descending order, to see how that changes things: Italy (146.37) Spain (98.65) Iran (28.00) France (25.03) USA (4.32) Germany (3.79)
China is not included for obvious reasons. link

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:58 pm 
On a different note, I found this video fascinating--Simulating an epidemic. Math and probability geeks will too. The author/narrator studied math and computer science at Stanford, but I don't know the details. Here's the YouTube channel that specializes in animated math. I thought it was an excellent presentation with clear narration. From running these various models he came to the conclusion that the best strategy was to identify and isolate cases (minute 20:00). He said that following his exploration in this subject, "he gained a deeper appreciation of disease control done right." His own main takeaway was "the inordinate value of testing and the ability to isolate cases, for the therapeutics in treating these cases and most importantly how easy it is to underestimate all that when times are good." ~z

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 8:20 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
A look at cases per capita
Quote:
Now, here are the top six countries by confirmed cases per million people (based on population numbers from the CIA World Fact Book) in descending order: Italy (1386.13) Spain (1280.78) Germany (615.57) France (436.17) Iran (380.72) USA (283.30)
Quote:
let's look at confirmed deaths per million people in descending order, to see how that changes things: Italy (146.37) Spain (98.65) Iran (28.00) France (25.03) USA (4.32) Germany (3.79)
China is not included for obvious reasons. link
Hey, I stopped!