Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > To your/our health (Covid-19 thread)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 9:38 pm 
I'm certain he was. And you could have made it through life every but as well off without knowing (and forgetting, like I did) the name of the first guy to say it. I just like random historical tidbits and adding context when possible. 🙂

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 10:31 pm 
Ski wrote:
https://cripedistributing.com/products/u-s-safety-4-ml-20dn5z-comfort-ease-400-series-organic-vapor-n95-respirator
Gonna have to order that just for the reaction when I go in to my favorite stores.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 11:05 pm 
Is it possible for the virus to go away without developing herd immunity? If we don't have herd immunity, won't it resume it's insidious spread as soon as we return to normal? Are we doomed to needing at least a 60% infected rate before this is over?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 6:25 am 
This seems a bit odd and worries me. Next, a shortage of chicken feed? This was on the Spokesman Review facebook. Shoppers in the Spokane area have ravaged farm supply stores of baby chickens, as many workers forced to stay at home from pandemic closures are also finding shortages in grocery stores of toilet paper, flour, sugar and eggs

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 7:02 am 
What I don't get is this. Why is Africa getting off almost scott free? https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 9:57 am 
I try not to be dark in my postings, but there's continual questions about the need for the lockdowns, stay at home orders, and social distancing especially in parts of the country where things seem "normal". So here's Don Lemon on CNN interviewing a doctor and an ER nurse in NYC. He asks the question what do you say to the people who don't know anyone with the virus or who are unhappy with the lockdown and social distancing (6:50) A quote from the Twitter feed (where I first saw this) on this interview: Those of us quarantining at home have virtually no sense of the war going on in hospitals around the country. The report from the front lines that we get below is *horrifying*—and wrenching. I wish I could embed this. Here's the video link. ~z . . Edit: If the above link doesn't work, here's another one. Try this one from CNN.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 10:19 am 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
What I don't get is this. Why is Africa getting off almost scott free? https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
Lack of testing leading to deflated numbers?

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 11:41 am 
Tom wrote:
Ski wrote:
https://cripedistributing.com/products/u-s-safety-4-ml-20dn5z-comfort-ease-400-series-organic-vapor-n95-respirator
Gonna have to order that just for the reaction when I go in to my favorite stores.
I have a few similar in the workshop - one with N95 dust filtering discs and a few along with note-yet-opened organic vapor filters (once you open the organic vapor absorbing filter cartridges the clock ticks down more quickly on their useful life, or so I've read - I assume this is why they are sold packaged in sealed foil pouches...). These tend to work better for me even for dust as compared to the white paper N95 masks - better fit and though they don't feel great when I sweat into them the don't become useless the way the paper ones do when wet. That said, for general public use in places like grocery stores, something like a few layers of cotton t-shirt material or even blue shop towers (like from the blur paper-towel-like roles) work well - in these settings the goal is to limit the ability of the wearer to spread droplets via talking, coughing, and sneezing. The N95 protection is more critical in medical settings where procedures like intubation and nebulization are being done (as these produce considerable amounts of fine aerosol which can hang in indoor air for hours - in these settings they also tend to wear eye protection and the rooms have negative air pressure (i.e. there's a high flow exhaust fan blowing the air through a very fine filter).

graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 2:56 pm 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
Lack of testing? Lots of asymptomatic carriers? Unreliable reporting? Less international travel to/from areas that have more cases? Climate/weather? Other factors? We don't know, really.

The only easy day was yesterday...
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 5:19 pm 
Okay, here's some news out of Africa--South Africa. From a Tweet from AFP News Agency: Already in a 21-day #coronavirus lockdown, South Africa is now embarking on the widespread testing and quarantine campaign involving some 10,000 field workers who are being sent out into homes in villages, towns and cities to screen for symptoms. Wiki quote: Agence France-Presse (AFP) is an international news agency headquartered in Paris, France. Founded in 1835 as Agence Havas, it is the world's oldest news agency. ~z

graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 7:12 pm 
Ski wrote:
Mainland China sees rise in new coronavirus cases / Reuters 04/04/20
This is what Michael Osterholm said he was hearing when he was on Peter Attia's podcast on 3/31: "Right now, for example, China isn’t saying it publicly but it appears that are closing movie theaters again and potential dealing with more spreading since they removed their strict lock down procedures".

graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 7:17 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Okay, here's some news out of Africa--South Africa. From a Tweet from AFP News Agency: Already in a 21-day #coronavirus lockdown, South Africa is now embarking on the widespread testing and quarantine campaign involving some 10,000 field workers who are being sent out into homes in villages, towns and cities to screen for symptoms. Wiki quote: Agence France-Presse (AFP) is an international news agency headquartered in Paris, France. Founded in 1835 as Agence Havas, it is the world's oldest news agency. ~z . .
This kinda makes sense to me. South Africa has a more affluent society that has the ability to travel internationally compared to other countries on the African Continent. They also probably have the infrastructure in place for more testing & reporting than other countries.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 10:20 pm 
A couple of days ago I posted two videos on mask making. One of them featured using HEPA vacuum filters in the cloth mask. Apparently that is NOT a healthy thing to do. I regret posting it and hope no one has made one of these. There are a lot of other videos promoting this method, at the time it seemed to be a good idea. Deeply regret the error. HEPA filters are for vacuums--not people. ~z

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 8:00 am 
200404 USA deaths
200404 USA deaths
200404 World deaths
200404 World deaths
200404 USA
200404 USA
200404 World
200404 World

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 9:27 am 
Tom wrote:
Ski wrote:
You mean like Lilly? A bit much I thought when I first saw her video, but now? I have one of those masks, bought it when I was removing some black mold from some window frames a while back.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology