Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > To your/our health (Covid-19 thread)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 10:42 am 
Why, we'd start to see people having to take responsibility for their own perception of risk, their value judgments and tradeoffs relative to their perception of risk, and acting upon said perceptions and value judgments.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 12:53 pm 
This article is outdated in several ways, but the information about how China responded hasn't changed much. The C-19 situation in China is an open question, but the measures that contributed most to whatever success they've had can't be replicated here. For example pulling anybody with a fever out of their home and sending them to a quarantine center. https://time.com/5796425/china-coronavirus-lockdown/

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 1:20 pm 
It’s likely, then, that the new coronavirus will be a lingering part of American life for at least a year, if not much longer. If the current round of social-distancing measures works, the pandemic may ebb enough for things to return to a semblance of normalcy. Offices could fill and bars could bustle. Schools could reopen and friends could reunite. But as the status quo returns, so too will the virus. This doesn’t mean that society must be on continuous lockdown until 2022. But “we need to be prepared to do multiple periods of social distancing,” says Stephen Kissler of Harvard. https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/608719/

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 2:40 pm 
Ask A Scientist. Here's an interesting feature from the New Jersey State Covid-19 site. (I recall seeing this or something similar a couple of days ago. So it may not be just N.J.) Here's the Tweet announcing it. This is for people asking questions that don't fit the general FAQ's. The Office of Innovation in partnership with the Federation of American Scientists has put on the New Jersey site the ability to submit a question to the attention of an expert who will email back the answer to your question. So far there have been 2.2 million users since this feature was added to their public health site. Note: Use at your own risk. Vet your own answers and do your research. This is a tool that MIGHT be useful to some. No claims to it being the most up to date information. Caveat Emptor! ~z . . Edit: The original link was changed to a more accurate one.

altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 2:51 pm 
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 3:12 pm 
altasnob wrote:
It is good news that this model has improved substantially for Washington, and the Western US in general. Other parts of the country, not so much. The current level of social distancing in Washington, Oregon, and CA appears to be working. Think of how bad the situation would be if it wasn't.
I haven't read the NYT opinion piece, but doesn't that byline (see below) completely contradict what you wrote this morning? See above. ^^^ Quote from the byline: We need to hit and release the brakes on physical distancing, again and again, until we safely get to immunity. huh.gif Is Leung saying to stop physical distancing? Or stop and start? A bit confusing. Maybe pull some quotes from the Op Ed for us? Thanks, ~z

altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 3:40 pm 
You should read the opinion piece to get the full idea. But what I liked is it recognizes that we can't go on social distancing forever. And while things like testing and tracking contacts will certainly help, they cannot be relied upon to keep infected numbers down (at least in the US; it might work in other countries like South Korea and wealthy, small European nations). The Hong Kong doctor, like all experts, promotes extensive testing to give us the best picture of how many are affected and at what rate they are infecting others. We are not going to be able to eliminate the virus (without a vaccine) so until a vaccine is available, the government should focus on keeping the R-naught number to 1 (R-naught refers to the average number of people to whom an infected person passes on the virus in a population with no pre-existing immunity). With an R number below 1, the virus will, in theory, die off (not realistically possible to get this). With an R above 1, the virus will grow exponentially. So an R of 1 is a happy medium where we don't let the virus grow exponentially, but we don't kill our economy trying to kill off the virus (which we couldn't do even if we tried). The article post the real time R number of Hong Kong, which I thought was interesting. The R number will be different for every place in America, and different at every moment in time. So if testing is increased and we get a full picture of the R number, we can adjust our practices accordingly. And an acceptable R number will be different depending on each community and each moment in time. The author suggests initially beating the R number down to a very low level (0.1 or 0.2, through social distancing). Then you can relax social distancing so long as your R number is what you deem to be manageable and gives your health care system a manageable number of infected persons to care for. If the R number climsb too high, you would have to re-impose social distancing (hence the repeatedly applying the brakes analogy). I posted the opinion piece because it closely mirrors what I have been thinking for the last couple weeks. We don't try to save lives because we care about lives, but because we cannot let our health care system be overwhelmed (society would collapse if that occurred). And the economic impact of social distancing for prolonged periods is unsustainable. So for the next 12-24 months I see a period where we relax the brakes, and then have to reapply the brakes as needed to keep the health care system operational. This would be different in every single community in the US. The author emphasizes testing and focusing on the R number as the way to make the decisions on when to apply the brakes, and how forcefully.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 3:44 pm 
That's a pretty well reasoned argument based on testable metrics or as best could be posited at this time, and the details are precisely why I reject the Great National Plan impositions suggested elsewhere on this board. Every community is different, every state is different, and yet the attraction of simply imposing drastic measures from centrally central command is apparently nearly irresistable for some folks.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 3:47 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
That's a pretty well reasoned argument based on testable metrics or as best could be posited at this time, and the details are precisely why I reject the Great National Plan impositions suggested elsewhere on this board. Every community is different, every state is different, and yet the attraction of simply imposing drastic measures from centrally central command is apparently nearly irresistable for some folks.
Yes, but I think the author would point out that places that have chosen not to lock down (South Carolina, Utah, ect) do not have a full understanding of how many of their citizens are infected, and what the reproduction rate is at this moment in time in their community. Until testing is increased, they cannot intelligently chose to "relax the brakes."

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 3:53 pm 
altasnob wrote:
You should read the opinion piece to get the full idea.
Thanks, I will do so. I just try to limit my NYT articles to stay within the free quota since I am not interested in "signing up" to read--just yet. May have to eventually. Anyway, going outside to garden in the warming sun for a bit. I'll study this a bit later. Thanks very much for your kind and thorough response. ~z

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 4:04 pm 
zephyr wrote:
I haven't read the NYT opinion piece, but doesn't that byline (see below) completely contradict what you wrote this morning? See above. ^^^ Quote from the byline: We need to hit and release the brakes on physical distancing, again and again, until we safely get to immunity. huh.gif Is Leung saying to stop physical distancing? Or stop and start? A bit confusing. Maybe pull some quotes from the Op Ed for us? Thanks, ~z . .
I'm only a little into the article, but I think I've read a lot of what it summarizes, so I'm going to try to answer this. The goal of distancing isn't too prevent anyone from getting the virus. Just to slow it down to the point where hospitals can keep up. You're still going to get it. Nobody (except maybe you) is even trying to keep you from getting it. That's just not realistically feasible. If we slow this down "too much" (excess hospital capacity) we draw this out for no reason. So we need to feather the brakes and keep it near the red line, but just below.

xman_reborn

xman_reborn
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 4:05 pm 
altasnob wrote:
And the economic impact of social distancing for prolonged periods is unsustainable. So for the next 12-24 months I see a period where we relax the brakes, and then have to reapply the brakes as needed to keep the health care system operational.
Steve Hilton has a similar opinion piece here. Sure, the people with jobs working at home can stay indoors for a long time and wait it out; there's a lot of other Americans out there right now that are devastated. We need to get the economy going soon!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 4:22 pm 
altasnob wrote:
And the economic impact of social distancing for prolonged periods is unsustainable.
Not just the economic impact, but more importantly the toll on human suffering. Domestic violence and child abuse because vulnerable people are being forced to stay in unsafe homes. Suicide. Anxiety and depression. Post traumatic stress. Elderly who have the most need for physical separation, were already cut off from society in many ways. For everybody, we've come to learn that lonliness is more dangerous than obesity. Young children who will be scarred for life by the isolation and the fear they can sense in the adults around them, the sense that the world is falling apart. I mean, unemployment is around 35% which is worse than the great depression. But the other stuff is more important.

xman_reborn

xman_reborn
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 4:43 pm 
It's all important. We have to have an economic plan to get OUT of this. Quickly. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8193153/Miles-long-row-cars-waits-outside-Florida-food-bank-demand-produce-surges-600-cent.html Brutal pictures.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 5:46 pm 
well Ski, I guess that herd may get culled a bit.