Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > To your/our health (Covid-19 thread)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 2:44 pm 
I can sure tell the people here that don't do any international travel that are making light of SARS, Ebola, etc.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 2:52 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
I sincerely hope this turns out to be another Y2K/SARS/Bird Flu/Ebola, it all blows over and we can blame the media for overhyping and fearmongering. But in the meantime, my opinion is that it would be prudent to listen to the CDC (especially if you are elderly or otherwise immunocompromised):
Jake, I really appreciate how serious you are taking this situation. I recommend this interview that I happened to hear on NPR on Thursday while driving across town. This interviewer asks good questions and the interviewee is a science and health reporter Donald G. McNeil Jr. with the New York Times who has been around for awhile and covered SARS, MERS, and several other epidemics. Here's the interview. It's also an Apple podcast, but you can listen on this website as well. The first minute or so is a little dramatic and annoying, but it quickly jumps into the topic. It's a 23 minute talk. There are a couple of ads that play. You can stop it at minute 22:48. McNeil compares this virus with the 1918 flu, SARS, and MERS. He says that if things don't change "a lot of us will die". There's a 2.6% mortality rate. This particular virus attaches deep within the lungs and can develop into a viral pneumonia that is difficult to treat. This virus is very transmissable mainly via coughing and from contaminated surfaces. He also discusses diagnosis and the current treatments. They also discuss vaccines and how long it will take to develop a safe one. More talk about the dynamics of the 1918 flu and how it really was the 1918-1919 flu with the second wave hitting in the Fall. Apparently many of us will know someone who dies from this worst case scenario. They also talk about a best case scenario if drugs are developed that can stop this viral attack. Also discussed are the probable need for breathing machines for the very sick. The interviewer asks McNeil what steps he is personally taking at this stage. Hopefully you will find this worth listening to. ~z

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 4:49 pm 
WA State Health Officials Hold Press Conference on First U.S. Coronavirus Death https://www.khq.com/news/watch-state-health-officials-hold-press-conference-on-first-u/video_57dc2dc6-5b27-11ea-86b6-63e85b3ecbb2.html A nursing facility, ugh.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 5:23 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I can sure tell the people here that don't do any international travel that are making light of SARS, Ebola, etc.
I have no desire to travel abroad...I will never be able to see this entire country so I see no reason to spend a lot of money on seeing the rest of the world. The danger of disease or being robbed, kidnapped or killed just gives me more reasons not to.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 6:08 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I have no desire to travel abroad...I will never be able to see this entire country so I see no reason to spend a lot of money on seeing the rest of the world.
Well I didn't spend anything. I worked abroad for 40 years. I was in China when SARS broke out and the only reason it didn't make it over here was that the Chinese were on the ball and halted all travel immediately. I was also in other countries when outbreaks occurred and public officials fortunately had an immediate response to keep things from spreading. It's also fortunate (for us) that the worst diseases are usually the most difficult to transmit. From what the health agencies are saying right now, corona virus is about 50% more contagious than influenza A and B, and has a mortality rate 23 times greater.

catsp

catsp
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 6:27 pm 
Ski wrote:
first-mexican-victim-of-the-corona-virus
If we are going with, let's call it racially-informed humor, it seems a bit unnecessary to target Mexicans. I mean, they are right on (and over) our border - they're easy pickins' pretty much every day. Seems like a wasted opportunity. Given the circumstances, maybe it would be better to use this occasion to "humorously" target the Chinese? Anyone got any really clever and funny Chinese captioned pics?

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 8:05 pm 
Corona beervirus
Corona beervirus

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 8:20 pm 
Corona beer sales down... https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/corona-beer-sales-taking-hit-because-coronavirus-outbreak/ORXV24ZXMZAZDJCBIM7K55MRUE/ "A recent survey of American beer drinkers found that 38% of those asked will not buy Corona beer and 16% are confused if Corona beer is related to the coronavirus".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 8:44 pm 
Was just at the grocery store. Apparently they have been slammed all day. People buying everything they can fit in shopping carts. Water is sold out as is TP and hand sanitizer. The manager joked If they don't have another outbreak around this time next year his sales targets are going to be way off.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 8:48 pm 
Time to buy stock in companies that make hand sanitizer? As for Corona beer, imo it's vastly over-rated. I prefer Modelo or Pacifico.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 9:33 pm 
I suspect the slices of lime with your beer will do more good--vitamin C and other antioxidants. Keep calm and carry on with hand washing! Great hand washing video which oregonlive is putting into every coronavirus article. Wash those hands!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 10:21 pm 
Yes and when you find you can't find any hand sanitizer in stock anywhere comfort yourself with the thought that a proper washing with soap is even more effective against many viruses.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 11:38 pm 
I stocked up on prednisolone for Miss Parsley. Just in case. I don't plan for her to take any, but I'd rather have it go to waste than the other way around.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 12:38 am 
Tom wrote:
Was just at the grocery store. Apparently they have been slammed all day. People buying everything they can fit in shopping carts. Water is sold out as is TP and hand sanitizer. The manager joked If they don't have another outbreak around this time next year his sales targets are going to be way off.
I was in VA Mason Issy on Wednesday (2/26), and they were in the process of moving all their facemasks to a locked storage room. Apparently a couple of people in a car drove up to the door front passenger pick up, one person came in and grabbed the box of masks they have out for ill people to cover their faces with when they come in, and they then left in a hurry.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 2:00 am 
While I was at Home Depot on Saturday for a couple items, I decided to take a "survey". Asked at the customer service desk what aisle respirators were on. "We're outa those". How about dust masks? "Nada". The guy in paint told me some people were buying respirators and sending them to China. On the way home I passed a Bartell's and dropped in. "What aisle are the thermometers on?" "We're sold out of those." Should I even ask about surgical masks? "Nope, sorry!" So, people are freaking out already, even as the Surgeon General is pleading with people to stop buying masks. Meanwhile, Kirkland has quarantined 25 firefighters and two cops in connection with the diagnosis at the nursing home. There are some interesting docs on Youtube about the granddaddy of modern pandemics, the 1918 influenza, here and here. Amazing that it killed more Americans than all the wars we've been involved with since WW1 combined. It was so deadly you could be deceased in less than 24 hrs of showing symptoms.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood