Forum Index > Trail Talk > Seals On The Beach @ Washington State Parks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 9:53 pm 
Don't forget to beware of seals in the woods, or in this case, sea lions! eek.gif
Link to story: https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2020/02/it-just-kept-moving-sea-lion-that-wandered-into-cowlitz-county-hills-trapped-after-long-standoff.html

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 10:24 am 
These guys sneakin up on ya through the woods is nothing new. People have been doing this in the Enchantments for years. Gettin in undetected through the brush. Full camo. There's a lot of this going on in the north cascs too of late.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 10:34 am 
Dante and I were doing a long beach hike years ago and we came upon the body of a beached sea lion. It was the size of a car, MINUS the head! Strange we thought.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 10:57 pm 
Quote:
I seem to remember this. I have also been told, by the official in charge at the time, that we were invaded by Canada in the 1980s. They landed a helicopter in the Pasayten Wilderness and unloaded troops for training. It was a quiet international incident.
Link please?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 10:11 am 
seawallrunner wrote:
Quote:
I seem to remember this. I have also been told, by the official in charge at the time, that we were invaded by Canada in the 1980s. They landed a helicopter in the Pasayten Wilderness and unloaded troops for training. It was a quiet international incident.
Link please?
It's only a memory of the Tonasket ranger mentioning it. No link.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 10:12 am 
We played a seal charmer song yesterday. This is not it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 11:27 am 
Why is this in "Trail Talk" instead of "Stewardship" where it belongs? More details are cited in Schroder's previous thread of 02-21-20 HERE
Dave Felice, reporting for the South Whidbey Record wrote:
According to Edain, the State Parks Deputy Director for Operations, Mike Sternback, has said that only public sentiment would change the anticipated approval of the plan.
(* emphasis added *)
Becki Ellison, Executive Assistant to the Director & Commission, Washington State Parks, in an email of 03-02-20 wrote:
Thank you for your comments on the Navy’s proposal to expand training operations in Washington state parks. All public comments will be provided to the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission for consideration. You can stay up-to-date with the latest information on the Navy proposal by checking our website, https://parks.state.wa.us/1168/Navy-proposal Becki Ellison, Executive Assistant to the Director & Commission PO Box 42650 ~ 1111 Israel Road SW Olympia, WA 98504-2650 (360) 902-8502 becki.ellison@parks.wa.gov
Washington State Parks wrote:
Have there been any Navy personnel/trainee conflicts in the parks resulting from these trainings? No. We are not aware of any conflicts between the Navy and the public during trainings. The Navy has protocols in place to stop exercises if a member of the public enters the training area.
So I guess that the incident where a County Sheriff shot and killed one and injured another Navy trainee being out-of-state was okay, since it didn't happen here and presumably the County Sheriff isn't a member of the public? dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 6:19 pm 
Kind of a stupid idea. I would never want to be a SEAL and do this training on U.S. public land. Why? Do you know how many people own guns in the United States??? There could be an accidental shooting from somebody who owns a gun...all in the name of self defense. These SEAL trainings would look like "agressivenss"....unless they had a sign saying, "SEAL Training". Hiding in the woods on public land....not really a good idea with so many people having concealed weapons permits.

Art is an adventure.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 6:30 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Kind of a stupid idea. I would never want to be a SEAL and do this training on U.S. public land. Why? Do you know how many people own guns in the United States??? There could be an accidental shooting from somebody who owns a gun...all in the name of self defense. These SEAL trainings would look like "agressivenss"....unless they had a sign saying, "SEAL Training". Hiding in the woods on public land....not really a good idea with so many people having concealed weapons permits.
No kidding. Many without permits too.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 7:32 pm 
which is why you need to WRITE to the State Parks director and let him know that. only way to put the kibosh on this plan is to flood them with opposition letters and emails. otherwise it WILL go through - that's already spelled out in the article cited by Schroder.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 7:34 pm 
I bet there'll be lots of signs. We get warnings in Everett when they do drills at the Navy Bass. It's no treble.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 10:26 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
I bet there'll be lots of signs. We get warnings in Everett when they do drills at the Navy Bass. It's no treble.
I still think there would be the possibility of violins.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 10:28 pm 
it's not the military personnel I worry about so much. it's the yahoos with guns visiting the parks that give me the heebie-jeebies.