Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Being Prepared for Unexpected Calamity
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Waterman

Waterman
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 9:52 am 
I found a article in the Sunday NYT, March 8 2020. " Fleeing Babylon for a Wild Life".

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 9:07 am 
Seventy2002 wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
a box of pop tarts
Walmarts in hurricane country reportedly stock up on Pop Tarts when a big storm is forecast.
I haven’t eaten one in decades, Seems I remember a toaster being used. Can they be eaten raw? Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 10:03 am 
Pyrites wrote:
I haven’t eaten one in decades, Seems I remember a toaster being used. Can they be eaten raw?
Yes. I am not inclined to put a frosted one in the toaster. That doesn't seem like it would be good for the toaster so I eat them "raw". I found one in a pack one time while out on a hike. I think it had been there at least a year. I ate it, there were no bad effects other than the sugar rush.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 7:11 pm 
I might try a box. Must have a cinnamon something. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 8:50 pm 
The Grocery Outlet has had a terrible sounding pop tart on display. I bought a box and had to try one. They are very sweet and taste better than they sound. Some kind of double chocolate bomb maple sugar dope something aruther. I like the blueberry ones the best.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 10:36 pm 
So on my way back to Wa I better stop and get some TP?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 11:46 pm 
There was TP at both Freddie’s and Dollar tree in Issaquah today. Seemed like lots of people shopping for a Monday till I remembered many aren’t going to work. And yes, there was rubber bands, maybe that was referenced in the other thread. Sure was nice to be in the sun!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 10, 2020 10:15 am 
catsp wrote:
Whether the coronavirus is legit potential calamity or not, there has been some discussion of being adequately prepared for an actual calamity. What are those items for which we should stock up, versus those maybe not so much?
Im not going to go into detail about the level of preparation Ive done over the years over an open forum. With that said, the average family has less than four days of food and or water stored at home. Understanding that less and less people actually cook their meals anymore and it makes understanding that fact a little easier. Still the point I would try and make is everyone has a certain responsibility to have a level of self reliance, at least that's my opinion. Preparation doesn't happen overnight. Try and put together a plan on what and how you might want to prepare. Every time you go to the grocery store buy a little extra and start storing it. Ive done a lot of research in this area. If you store food in a temperature controlled room (never letting it freeze and never letting it get over 70 degrees in the summer 55-60 degrees is best) and if the food is out of ultraviolet light the food has a very long shelf life. For example, Ive eaten Campbell soup that was 20 years out of its best if by date. Ive set up a system that rotates my canned food as I use it and buy new, but I found some old stock and ate it. That food was stored in such a way (as I explained earlier) that not only did it taste fine it didn't make me sick. Now this takes some thinking and planning but its not difficult to do. If you're like me you have a water well and have access to water should you need it. If you're a suburbanite and live on a "System" you should store water in the advent the system fails. I have a well and I STILL store water in blue barrels. Wouldn't you sleep better knowing that should something bad happen you can care for yourself?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Mar 10, 2020 5:44 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ive eaten Campbell soup that was 20 years out of its best if by date.
Really?? I ate canned tomatoes that were 3 years past their expiration date. They were ok, but tasted like ... the can. So I can believe what Ski said. Since the tomatoes tasted so bad (but I didn't get sick), I've been reluctant to try other things. Just threw out those "cartons" of soup. Also an old glass jar of tahini. That was hard, it's so expensive. Water storage has always been a conundrum (in the event of the "big one", where plumbing is disrupted). I don't want to buy bottled H2O. And you can't store plastic drums of water w/o scum starting to grow in it. Thoughts?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 10, 2020 8:05 pm 
Twinkies are supposed to have a shelf life longer than we will live. Honey is the only food that never spoils.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 6:24 am 
Ski wrote:
Remember that during the Seige of Leningrad, the residents managed to survive for 872 days by eating the rats.
Uh, you might change that to some. That starvation was horrible by all the accounts I've read. Stalin basically abandoned the place to buy time. I heard one pundit on the radio (NPR) talking about sacrificing (the economy) of Seattle by shutting down the port to shipping. Probably Tacoma as well.

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 8:07 am 
Lowes or homedepot sells water jugs in 5 or 2.5 gallons. Cheap price.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 8:41 am 
We have a camping filter. Go down to the river and pump away!

neek

neek
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 9:34 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
And you can't store plastic drums of water w/o scum starting to grow in it. Thoughts?
Sterilize and seal the (food-safe, I hope) containers the best you can, I guess. For non-municipal water, add a disinfectant like bleach (look up the proper amount). Refresh every few months. I'm no expert, but know from making beer that every little thing the liquid comes into contact with must be purged of bugs. Been thinking about what the nearest safe water to Seattle is. Would I wash dishes in filtered/boiled water from Lake WA? Are streams from above, say, 1000 ft in the Issaquah Alps safe to drink from after treatment? If things get to that point I think we'll have bigger things to worry about, so it's more of an academic exercise.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 10:03 am 
Collect the drizzle from your roof or something.