Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sulphur Creek Trail April 27, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Roy Jensen

Roy Jensen
PostFri Mar 06, 2020 8:41 pm 
Our objective was not the “hot” springs but to determine the current status of the “end of the trail,” which currently appears to be where it once crossed Sulphur Creek. The original trail was constructed in 1931, likely crossing Sulphur Creek twice. The first crossing was at mile 2 and the second was said to be at mile 5 near Bath Creek. The current trail is about 2 miles long.
Trailhead
Trailhead
Trails climbs above the road
Trails climbs above the road
One of many logs over the trail
One of many logs over the trail
Log jam which a Trail Angel has removed debris to ease passage
Log jam which a Trail Angel has removed debris to ease passage
During our trip, the trail starts from the road and quickly climbs 300 feet on a shoulder on the west side of the creek, passing the Wilderness boundary and then drops towards the creek. There is a trail junction at about 0.5 mile and then another at 0.8 miles. At the second junction we dropped a short distance to the north bank of the Creek. Across the creek we see a red bucket which we presumed to be the location of the hot spring(s).
View from the trail. Red bucket marks the location of the hot springs
View from the trail. Red bucket marks the location of the hot springs
Rocky trail leads to the landslide
Rocky trail leads to the landslide
Landslide washed away the trail.
Landslide washed away the trail.
In this section trail was easy to follow than it looks
In this section trail was easy to follow than it looks
Our goal was to continue on the trail proper. Note: There are numerous deadfall on the trail. Most are easy to climb over or under. The trail is in passable shape until it reaches a landslide which has completed destroyed the trail. There is route through the carnage and the trail is picked up on the other side. It continues to about mile 1.8 where a path drops down and reaches a nice gravel bar on the creek. It seemed unlikely to use at the time, the place where trail crosses the Creek. We spied a continuation of the trail through a log jam and a thicket of trees until we reached a giant boulder. We cleaned the trail up a bit to make it obvious where the trail goes. After the boulder we completely lost the trail. In this situation the most reliable sign of a trail is cut logs. We finally spotted a cut log and then a section of puncheon turned up on its side when a log crashed onto it.
Old puncheon covered by moss.
Old puncheon covered by moss.
No I don't care what you say the crossing is that away!
No I don't care what you say the crossing is that away!
We found the the trail in most unlikely place. Cut log in shallow stream
We found the the trail in most unlikely place. Cut log in shallow stream
Tree fell on puncheon
Tree fell on puncheon
At the giant boulder rather than going straight, the trail turns right (south) and drops into and follows a shallow ravine full of devil’s club. Fortunately, this is good time of the year for bushwhacking as devils club, alder and vine maple have not leafed out making it much easier to pick out an old trail. We followed the remnants of trail until it ended on bank above the creek channel. Here we found a cut stump with the remnants of the log bridge that once crossed the creek but now lies against the bank of the creek. There is a recent log system which could be used to cross the creek. The creek was too high and fast in April for us wade the stream. We suspect that in late summer/early fall it will be much easier to cross to the other side of the creek. It is likely that only bits and pieces of trail remains beyond this point.
Cut log likely the old bridge now pushed by the creek against the bank
Cut log likely the old bridge now pushed by the creek against the bank
Stump for the source of the old bridge
Stump for the source of the old bridge
Current bridge crossing stream. Is that a pink ribbon on the other side?
Current bridge crossing stream. Is that a pink ribbon on the other side?
Conclusion: Early season trail. Several spot which access beaches along the stream would be pleasant and easy destinations. Existing trail to 2 miles in poor to fair shape. At least 6 miles of lost trail beyond crossing suggests much opportunity for adventure!
GPS track April 2019.  Long ways to Bath Creek.  Much adventure likely!
GPS track April 2019. Long ways to Bath Creek. Much adventure likely!
Forest Service Map 1939 showing trail beyond Bath Creek
Forest Service Map 1939 showing trail beyond Bath Creek
FS Map 1962.
FS Map 1962.
Historical Notes: FS 1939 - Trail (10 mi) constructed in 1931. FS assigned trail number 793. Mountaineers 1936 DOME PEAK by N. W. Griggs (p 16-18) “A drive of 125 miles from Seattle brought us to Sulphur Creek on the Suiattle River highway and six miles of hiking over a very beautiful trail brought us to Bath Creek. Here we established what turned out to be the finest and most comfortable camp either of us had ever made.” Mountaineers 1938 SPIRE PEAK 0. Phillp Dickert (p 27-28) “Following Sulphur Creek Trail the first crossing was about two miles in. Another crossing three miles further, approximately a quarter of a mile south of Bath Creek, marked a fork in the trail. Taking the left fork and crossing Sulphur Creek brought the party on the "way" trail to Downey Mountain Lookout, which was soon lost due to lack of trail signs.” Mountaineers 1938 Blue Mountain Anges 0. Dickert (p 28-29) “The U.S.G.S. map shows Sulphur Creek trail running generally east for eight or ten miles, with two crossings at approximately two-and three-mile intervals. But the map does not indicate the Downey Mountain "way" trail fork. Taking this in error, the trail was soon lost and a vigorous brush fight ensued.” Mountaineers 1949 Blue Mountain (p 18-19) The 1949 Climbers' Outing By R. Safely “They were delighted with the wonderful trail that stretched for a full hundred yards until it was rudely interrupted by the first of many windfalls. Of course, the party was thrilled to have these fine natural obstacles so finely placed along the trail to condition them for the future days.” Climbers Guide to the Cascades and Olympic Mountains of Washington. 1949. Fred Beckey. P 122. ”way trails extend 10 miles up Sulphur Creek” P 123. Follow the Sulphur Creek to its end on the S. side about 1-mile W. of Dome Creek (ca. 10 miles) P 126. The most direct approach is to go 6 miles up the Sulphur Creek trail, taking the left fork about ¼ mile before Bath Creek (2900). Cross Sulphur Creek and follow the Downey Mountain way trail along the flat forest. Climbers Guide to the Cascades and Olympic Mountains of Washington. 1961. American Alpine Club. P 185. The interior of the group may be reached via the Sulphur Creek trail…. This trail extends 3 ½ miles after which ca ½ mile of heavy brush and timbered blowdown is encountered. Following this, the trail continues for an additional 3 ½ miles of poor, brushy going. P 186. Follow Sulphur Creek trail (beware of heavy blowdown 3 ½ miles in) ½ mile past Bath Creek (5 ½ miles).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Mar 06, 2020 9:19 pm 
Very cool! Thanks for exploring and researching. Sounds like a worthwhile area to explore!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostFri Mar 06, 2020 11:34 pm 
Great report! I love the history of this one. I'm curious about the Downey Mountain way trail. I've never heard of a lookout on Downey and it seems like it would be a strange place for one with Sulphur and Green right next to it. I can't seem to find it on any historic lists. Maybe it was just a tent? I'm sure that it would be almost impossible to find any of it now but I wonder which way the way trail actually went. I've seen a couple reports mention a built trail coming up from Downey Creek but not all the way to the top of the mountain. Maybe they planned on a Downey lookout but decided Green and Sulphur were better locations.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 9:07 am 
Our Boealps climbing class spent a day with WTA on this trail in 2001 and we worked until we could smell the sulphur spring and went a bit beyond. Not sure if it's received that much attention since. I was always curious to see how much further it went.