Forum Index > Gear Talk > MSR Windburner vs Jetboil
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 7:13 pm 
Got a decent dividend this year. Was at REI the other day and looked at stoves. Been wanting a jetboil for quite some time. Then noticed the MSR Windburner. From what I’ve read, boils water faster than a Jetboil. I liked the way the pot released from the stove on the Windburner. Nice and easy, whereas I could see me scorching myself trying to detach the Jetboil from the stove if I was going to pour some water. An igniter would be nice on the MSR, but I’m used to using my fire steel for that purpose. Still, a backup system would be nice just to make sure most of my fuel gets used for cooking rather than making the air smell funny. Any thoughts?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 7:20 pm 
What is your intended usage?

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 7:24 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
What is your intended usage?
Kayaking and backpacking. Pretty sure my climbing days are behind me.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 8:12 pm 
I have the jetboil. My hiking partner has the MSR. We always take the MSR. I probably won't wear out the jetboil but if I had to replace it, yep I'd buy the MSR.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 8:33 pm 
Thanks. I’m really leaning toward the MSR, but mostly because of how easily I could unpair the pot from the stove. But as with anything, I can sometimes have a knack for writhing in the grips of incompetence - hence why I found it difficult with the Jetboil. Quicker boil times is nice too. Most of the negative reviews have seem to be broken in the box issues or the lack of igniter which really isn’t an issue with me. My Light My Fire Swedish fire steel works awesome for that

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 9:17 pm 
alpendave wrote:
Kayaking and backpacking. Pretty sure my climbing days are behind me.
Since melting snow isn't a priority, it's probably a toss up. The Jetboil is slightly lighter and cheaper, but I believe the Windburner is slightly more fuel efficient. IMHO, Both are pretty much only useful for "boiled water" meals. Supposedly one can buy a skillet for the Windburner, but I think it is long shot that it can actually be dialed down low enough for pancakes.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 10:46 pm 
I've had the Windburner for a few years and really like it, boils real fast. I've used alcohol stoves in the past and it took more than 9 minutes to boil. But the size and weight of the MSR means I only use it as a luxury item, mostly when my daughter and I are out and I'm heating for meals. Haven't used it to melt water yet.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 10:50 pm 
I’ve have a jet boil, but really only pack it when my son comes along. It’s the only time I want the extra size capacity. Both options are over 14 ounces. They’re more fuel efficient than conventional stoves, at a weight trade. If it just myself; a 750 ml titanium pot (4.2 ounces with lid ) and a pocket rocket (2.6 ounces) is a very adequate cook system.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 11:51 pm 
Thanks everyone.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Mar 10, 2020 2:16 pm 
You may want to read "Hikin' Jim's" review of the Soto Windmaster -- a competitor to the Windburner -- here. After reading this, and especially it's performance in the wind (at least as important for kayaking as backpacking), I bought one (the version with the 4 prong potstand) and love it. Very light, efficient, and easy to use. Also, it's very controllable -- you can dial back the burn to the tiniest of simmering flames, or crank it up to full power easily.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 12:32 am 
I had a jet boil flash I think that failed over time. It lasted about 6 years for me not very regular use either. I upgraded to a windburner when I got a new one. I am way more impressed with it than I was the jet boil, but it was also much more pricy and newer tech. I am sure some jetboils are up to par w the windburner. I also love the coffee press you can get with the windburner.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 11:47 am 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
I also love the coffee press you can get with the windburner
I tried the French Press option; way too much filtered water to cleanup afterwards in the back country. The Starbucks Via makes more than adequate coffee in your cup without the fuss and mess.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostMon Mar 23, 2020 3:01 pm 
I had a coffee press for my jetboil. Tried it once at Colchuck lake and saw the mess when I threw the grounds out. Only via since.