Forum Index > Trail Talk > MB/S NF no longer gives road or trail conditions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 9:55 pm 
WTF is up with that? Is this permanent, does anyone know? From the MB/S NF website: Road & Trail Conditions Reports Specific road and trail condition reports are currently unable to be updated by Forest Service staff.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 11:30 pm 
Could this just be seasonal? I wouldn't really expect updates this time of year.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Mar 07, 2020 11:41 pm 
Sometimes the updates were from last season. But there are plenty of roads and trails open now or opening up soon that make the information timely.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 7:13 am 
I noticed that too recently. I thought I was having a loading error, but I could not find any road/trail nfo. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Normally they have at least a blurb like snow covered, impassable, or even permanently closed roads. Some of it never gets updated, but cant find that either. Was trying to check Becker river road. I'm assuming, snow covered, with hundreds of trees to be removed.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 2:29 pm 
Gifford Pinchot and Okanogan NFs are still doing updates, some from Feb 2020. I think it is likely a temporary thing. The FS is probably busy trying to figure a way to deny all Enchantments permits. embarassedlaugh.gif

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 4:37 pm 
The Enchantments should be closed to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus. Too crowded up there and too much of a chance of human to goat to human transfers

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 7:42 pm 
You gave them a reason! shakehead.gif Coming soon: crowded hikes closed! embarassedlaugh.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 10:08 am 
A really good source, and often better than the Cowlitz Valley report, is the White Pass Shopper. Google it and there is usually a road and trail report in it that combines what the FS people have reported and what a few locals report from drives and hikes.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 11:28 am 
Just thinking out loud here; Maybe someone can call one of the ranger stations within MBSNF and ask. Not about The Enchantments; that’s OWNF. I mean about the website updates. Could be that feature is suspended in winter due to short-staffing this time of year. “Currently unable” sounds temporary. Assume roads typically under snow in winter are.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
mb

mb
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 5:11 pm 
staffing shortages seem likely. i've called about some roads entirely elsewhere where the reports were things like: (3 months ago): Road is partly melted out. We'll update when the road is fully open. It had probably been fully open for at least a month when I called, and at least they could tell me it was open. But couldn't bother to update the web site. And this was for a heavily used road.

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 9:11 pm 
Talked to MBSNF folks today and they were a bit surprised. Yes, they continue to update conditions (or at least that Ranger District does) but apparently the website has slipped a gear and isn't reflecting those updates... So hopefully the webmaster will get that fixed!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Mar 15, 2020 3:58 pm 
There is now a notice posted that they are suffering a technical issue and people should call for conditions. Good work Hiker John!

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostSat Mar 28, 2020 1:28 pm 
Slugman, (and everyone else), Looks like Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie NF has their road and trail conditions back up and operating-- and SOMEWHAT up to date. Of course with Trailhead conditions, you may not be able to go hike some of these... https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/conditions/?cid=STELPRDB5126323 Cheers!

monorail

monorail
PostTue May 19, 2020 4:40 pm 
So, it appears Baker-Snoqualmie NF has a fancy new interactive road/trail conditions page: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5126323 So far I've tried it on an android phone and an ipad, on several different browsers, and I cannot get it to work at all. Usually it crashes the browser, or freezes until I close the browser. At best I can see the map with a tiny sliver of text to the left, but I cannot scroll the text or see anything useful. Is anyone else experiencing this, or are you able to actually access useful information? I'm thinking this new page requires a specific browser/OS on a shiny new flagship device with 32gb of RAM or something. They used to have a simple list of roads and trails with their conditions, in simple text, easily accessible on any device. I fail to see how this new thing is an improvement. I sent an email to them about this, but no reply yet. Seems like they could at least offer the plain text version as an option, for people who just want information as opposed to an "interactive experience."

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue May 19, 2020 5:15 pm 
monorail wrote:
I sent an email to them about this, but no reply yet. Seems like they could at least offer the plain text version as an option, for people who just want information as opposed to an "interactive experience."
Exactly, monorail. Exactly. One size doesn't always fit all. Thanks for giving them feedback. Edit: monorail I just tried the new interface and it's working for me using Firefox. As someone mentioned downthread, the information may not be up to date. e.g. this website says that the Middle Fork Snoqualmie road is still closed due to construction/landslide repair. But other wise it seems to be working fine for me. ~z