Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mountaineer Ridge 3/8/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 9:15 pm 
A few years ago I read a report from mtn.climber and rocknclimb that described a good snow route up Mountaineer Ridge (just north of Mount Stuart). I thought that given the right conditions, it could make a good winter climb. Given low avalanche danger and clear weather, Masayo and I decided to give it a shot today. We left the Icicle Creek Road at 6:20 AM. Much of the first mile of the road walk was bare. After that, it was a packed highway all the way to the Stuart/Colchuck Lake trail junction. We donned snowshoes at the junction and followed an old, partially snowed-in skin track to Stuart Lake, arriving 3h30m after leaving the car. The packed trail made for very efficient progress with minimal trailbreaking. There seems to be very little snow below 5000' compared to previous years I've been up here.
Early morning road walk
Early morning road walk
Arriving at the trailhead
Arriving at the trailhead
Bridge over Mountaineer Creek
Bridge over Mountaineer Creek
First look at Stuart
First look at Stuart
From Stuart Lake, there are two prominent couloirs visible on Mountaineer Ridge. We decided to take the westernmost couloir as detailed in previous TRs. We snowshoed across the lake and broke trail in snowshoes to the beginning of the couloir. We wallowed up the couloir until it became too steep to snowshoe, then started booting with ice axes. The trailbreaking was exhausting, but eventually we hit some nice wind-affected snow that made for great climbing conditions. The top 300' of the gully was fun, 40-45 degree snow that took great axe plunges and nice secure bucket steps. We never needed crampons, but were happy to have our axes.
Crossing Stuart Lake
Crossing Stuart Lake
Masayo breaking trail, our couloir ahead
Masayo breaking trail, our couloir ahead
Slow going up the couloir
Slow going up the couloir
Gets a little steeper towards the top
Gets a little steeper towards the top
From the top of the couloir, we continued ascending until we hit a rock step just below the false (west) summits. From here there were a few tricky snow-covered class 3/4 moves to get up to the notch between the false summits. If you're thinking about going for this one in winter, I'd recommend bringing a rope and a few slings in case you want to protect/rappel this section. If we'd had a rope I would have rappelled. Since we didn't have a rope, we had to make it work with careful and deliberate moves. From the notch between the false summits, we followed the ridge to the true (east) summit. There were some delicate moves across snow-covered talus and some krummholz-belays, but we made it. The view of the North Face of Stuart is one of the more impressive sights that I have seen in the Cascades. This is a spectacular viewpoint.
The payoff
The payoff
The summit was some precarious snow-covered boulders
The summit was some precarious snow-covered boulders
Eightmile, Axis
Eightmile, Axis
Dragontail, Colchuck, Argonaut
Dragontail, Colchuck, Argonaut
Mount Stuart, Full North Ridge
Mount Stuart, Full North Ridge
Sherpa
Sherpa
Stuart Lake, our tracks faintly visibl
Stuart Lake, our tracks faintly visibl
Colchuck, Argonaut
Colchuck, Argonaut
Eightmile, Axis
Eightmile, Axis
We were even able to find the 2004 Fay Pullen register buried in the summit cairn. It was frozen solid, but we thawed it out until we were able to sign our names without damaging the paper.
Register
Register
Register entry
Register entry
Eventually it was time to go. We carefully reversed our steps back to the top of the couloir. We downclimbed the top 200' of the couloir and plunge-stepped/glissaded the rest. What fun!
Masayo on a tricky bit getting back to the false summit from the true
Masayo on a tricky bit getting back to the false summit from the true
The top of the couloir. I'm sure this has been skied
The top of the couloir. I'm sure this has been skied
Downclimbing
Downclimbing
Stuart Lake
Stuart Lake
Exiting the couloir
Exiting the couloir
Views from the lake
Views from the lake
Heading back across the lake The rest of the way back to the car went quickly. We were surprised at the lack of snow in the Icicle. We got back to the car at 4:40 PM for a round trip time of 10h20m. 19.5 miles and 5000' gain including the road walk. Overall a great day with an extremely strong partner. I am feeling satisfied, but pretty beat right now.
Near the Eightmile TH, maybe not the best time to ski Cashmere right now (at least lower down)
Near the Eightmile TH, maybe not the best time to ski Cashmere right now (at least lower down)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 10:03 pm 
Awesome! Great looking conditions.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Mar 08, 2020 10:54 pm 
Looks like your route was a fun one!
Jake Robinson wrote:
Rainshadow + southern exposure = Relative paucity of snow on that slope.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
gb

gb
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 5:21 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Looks like your route was a fun one!
Jake Robinson wrote:
Rainshadow + southern exposure = Relative paucity of snow on that slope.
Mission Ridge and Stampede Pass snowpacks are well below normal this winter; so this isn't surprising. But snow depths look really quite shallow well into the subalpine from Jake's images. The desert of Eastern Washington got almost no snow this winter (unlike last). Suspect an early and short wildflower season. I hope somehow they get some spring-summer rains.

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 6:45 pm 
Nice work Jake. The views of Stu up there are outstanding for sure up.gif

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 10, 2020 10:02 am 
Wonderful report. Thanks for posting. I wonder where these people get their energy? winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln