Forum Index > Trail Talk > Something's happening on Green Mountain (North Bend version)
Previous :: Next Topic  
whitebark

whitebark

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 5:32 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I was nosing around on the CCC Plateau area a few days ago, and discovered that someone had stockpiled materials for building trail bridges at the start of the Green Mountain road/trail. Is the DNR planning to do a trail conversion of the Green Mountain road soon?  That would be neat, although a nicer trail might attract crowds - assuming the access situation is improved.

There are three ways to get to Green Mountain, and all have shortcomings.  The Mt. Si road access is long from the Teneriffe Trailhead , at least on foot, and you may be yelled at the angry homeowners at the end of the road.

The Sitka Spruce Trail is shorter and more pleasant but technically closed by the DNR.  It is currently hikeable (don't ask how I know  paranoid.gif  paranoid.gif ).

Coming in from the CCC road via the Bessemer road is also a long slog.  Climbers going up Green Mountain would often do a shortcut by going straight up the ridge from the CCC road instead of taking the road route up to Last Promontory.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 6:43 pm 
whitebark wrote:
echnically closed by the DNR.

"technically" not an official agency trail.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  oldgranola, NWHs outdoors advocate.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
fourteen410

fourteen410

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 7:06 pm 
whitebark wrote:
technically closed by the DNR

I've heard this a number of times but have never found anything officially stating this. Do you happen to have a link?
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork

Food truck
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 7:06 pm 
WB, were you able to cross the first little creek without getting  wet?

I wonder if the stored wood is related to the flagging along the trail I noticed last year?   If there is going to be some work done, hopefully the blackberrys will be addressed....

--------------
When I grow up I wanna play.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
whitebark

whitebark

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 7:59 pm 
Brushwork: the creek at the start of the S.S. trail is easily crossed now  (usually the case when there has not been a heavy rain in awhile). The main problem is the next large creek. The steep slope beyond the creek has slumped, and it is a bit of a muddy scramble to get up the slope. Other than that, no problems.
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork

Food truck
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 8:27 pm 
Thank you Whitebark.   Ive been thinking about going up there for a bit.

--------------
When I grow up I wanna play.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
lopper
off-route

lopper

off-route
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 8:51 am 
"not an official agency trail"

Sometimes the best.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Something's happening on Green Mountain (North Bend version)
  Happy Birthday jbsimm2, K-Lack!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: