Forum Index > Gear Talk > I could use jacket advice
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 1:07 pm 
I bought a GTX shell 12 (?) years ago, an Arc'teryx Beta AR. Burly jacket, heavy fabric, I used it a lot in the winter and took it on backpacking trips always as storm insurance. It came apart, I think it's my fault, I took it to the store downtown to see if it could be repaired. They told me it's not my fault, that they're going to replace it under warranty, and I don't have to take another Beta AR, I can "exchange" it for any jacket they make. I'm trying to decide what to replace it with. Am I better served with a direct replacement for days with a lot of bushwacking or rock climbing on windy days, or am I better off with something different? I have a light GTX shell, I bought it because I love the color and it was on clearance, so another GTX shell feels a little redundant. Also I have lots of down, fleece, and a softshell I love, so I think any of that would be even more redundant. I'm curious about the down/GTX jackets, but that seems like a bad idea in practice. What would you do in my shoes?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Mar 14, 2020 8:12 am 
That's tough. I guess look at it like, what problem are you trying to solve with this new jacket? You've got down for warmth layers in decent conditions, you've got fleece for an active mid layer, you've got your GTX shell as an outer shell layer, you've got a softshell for an active outer layer. Maybe you need something for warmth when wet? A synthetic warmth layer or belay jacket? Maybe try a synthetic active mid layer like the Proton LT? However on the value scale, the Beta AR is a pretty expensive jacket. It almost seems silly to exchange it for something half the value. You could just get another top of the line bomber hard shell, but sounds like you wouldn't really use it so that's kind of a waste. Tough situation, good luck figuring it out! haha

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSat Mar 14, 2020 8:56 am 
Since it sounds like you've got most everything you need, maybe opt for a spare for the one that's likely to go bad first. IME, that'll be anything that claims to be waterproof-breathable. ETA: I agree that GTX/down is a rarely useful combo.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Mar 15, 2020 9:54 pm 
Thanks, both of you, for sharing your thoughts. My furnace has always run hot, but I'm not as young as I used to be, and the cold has been bothering me more lately. I heard it only gets worse. I wind up ordering another Beta AR, I'll use it when I feel like the light one would be too fragile.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 18, 2020 6:01 am 
I really like the REI REI Co-op Drypoint GTX Jacket I picked up. Light, good coverage. Minimalist.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 1:41 pm 
I have a beta ar as well. I use it winter or when i might need a burly shell that fits over a lot of layers, a lighter waterproof shell for summer mountaineering/backpacking and a trail running shell for UL adventures (including backpacking when I expect very fair weather). For me there isn't one solution that covers all of these bases, so I'd probably do what you ended up doing, a direct replacement of the same jacket biggrin.gif