Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lower South Fork Skokomish 3/17/2020
Previous :: Next Topic  
Hesman

Hesman

PostWed Mar 18, 2020 7:58 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
With the coronavirus going around and with the school district I work for being shut down by the governor, I have a minimum of six weeks (maybe longer) of unexpected vacation time to get some hiking done!

Like everyone else, I made my way to the Lower South Fork Skokomish for an approximate 8 mile round trip day hike. By the time I was done hiking, I would see 17 other people out for a hike and a couple of families with school aged kids in tow. I had thought I would be all alone on the trail since it was Tuesday. I guess people are thinking they will be safer from getting any germs if they do outdoor activities.

I arrived at an empty parking lot and began hiking at 9:00 in the morning. It was a rather cold morning and the switchbacks at the beginning of the trail warmed me up just enough. The sun shown through the trees, but even that didn't warm things up that much. Hazy clouds moved in not long after I began hiking, which filtered the sun to a pale glow. As I hiked along the trail, I noticed that deciduous plants and trees are still in winter mode, very few were starting to put out new grow for the year. Nevertheless, a few Red Huckleberries had begun growing buds for new leaves. Throughout the day, as I hiked along the trail, I also heard a lot of Stellar's Jays calling, along with an occasional croak from a Raven flying overhead. At the one spot along the trail, where I could see the South Fork Skokomish River, I watched two Dippers chase each other in the river and fly from one side of the river to the other.

After hiking in for about 2 hours, I stopped to eat lunch and attempted to stay warm zipped up in all of my fleece garments and wool hat pulled down snuggly on my head. After eating lunch I continued hiking to the first bridge with railings before I turned around to hike back to the trailhead.

A few random pictures:

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RodF

RodF

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 11:58 am 
Enjoyed!  Thanks for sharing, Hes!   up.gif

Looking forward to more trail reports.  WTA has cancelled formal work parties, so the need for informal ones is perhaps greater than ever?  Cheers!

--------------
"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir
"the wild is not the opposite of cultivated.  It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Hesman

Hesman

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 3:11 pm 
RodF wrote:
WTA has cancelled formal work parties, so the need for informal ones is perhaps greater than ever?

I was wondering about this, since WTA does a quite a bit of work on this particular trail on a frequent basis and that there were several downed trees across the trail.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lower South Fork Skokomish 3/17/2020
  Happy Birthday Deereguy!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: