Forum Index > Trail Talk > PCTA is urging thru hikers to cancel PCT trips
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 20, 2020 7:58 pm 
Quote:
The Pacific Crest Trail Association (PCTA) is urging hikers who planned to travel the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) to cancel or postpone their plans due concerns about the spread of COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus. “As reported cases of COVID-19 continue to increase, many people have put their PCT trips on indefinite hold,” said the PCTA, in a statement posted to its website on Thursday. The organization recommended that other hikers follow their example.The statement cited concerns that “anyone traveling the PCT and resupplying in communities along the trail represents a serious risk to others on the trail and people in those communities — particularly high-risk individuals for whom the virus could be deadly.”
Concerns that PCT use may spread Covid19

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 20, 2020 8:40 pm 
2nd article https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/pacific-crest-trail-hikers-told-to-stay-home-during-coronavirus-outbreak.html I know folks need to do major life planning and pre organization to pull off the thru trip, what a drag to have to give up on it. Warranted but still sucks big.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostFri Mar 20, 2020 10:52 pm 
I had a permit to start May 11th, although my plans changed well before the outbreak here in the U.S. so very happy I didn't quit my job and vacate my home (As many of the 2020 class had already done before bailing). See places like Big Bear Lake have asked people to cancel on their PCT plans as many small Southern CA towns don't have the medical facilities to handle an outbreak.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
bertman

bertman
PostTue Mar 24, 2020 12:30 am 
PCTA has posted more information. https://www.pcta.org/three-covid-19-messages-to-all-pct-long-distance-permit-holders/ Note this passage: Land managers are making daily decisions on access, as of March 23, 2020, the following closures are in place: • Yosemite National Park is closed to all public access. • Cleveland National Forest is no longer issuing developed camping permits. • California State Park campgrounds are closed.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:51 am 
Apparently, some are determined to hike on.
Quote:
There are no solid numbers, but several experts estimated that 100 to 200 “thru-hikers,” as they’re known on the Pacific Crest Trail, remain.
https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2020-03-25/pacific-crest-trail-hikers-against-advice

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 8:30 am 
It must be quite a different experience without the crowds.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 am 
What? No PCT distancing?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln