Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 8:34 am 
BAAAAAAAHHHH!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 8:48 am 
What I meant by "Society isn't making sacrifices" was that the group hiking up to Bacon peak isn't causing society to make any sacrifices. I totally agree that many people are making sacrifices due to the pandemic. I should have made my comment more clear.

gray matter

gray matter
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 11:59 am 
That's what I figured, MM. Thanks for the clarification.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostSat Mar 28, 2020 10:36 am 
" the sooner everyone stays put, the sooner this will be over. " That's not true. The more we stay put, the more we flatten the curve and the longer this lasts. That's the point of the rules - to slow spread and infections across a longer time frame.

jimbocru

jimbocru
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 2:57 pm 
Not sure -- how many of you read of Ryan Irvin story .. https://backcountrymagazine.com/stories/splitboarding-in-the-time-of-covid-19/ My thought's .. Each of us "might" be asymptomatic carrier's .. When we visit remote communities like "Holden" -- with one Landline and No ER facilities -- we are increasing the chances of passing ALONG the "Martian-19" virus .. [Since it is NO longer PC to say where it really originated from ..] We MIGHT be completely healthy at a given point in time -- but if your IMMUNE system decides it is time for a SLEEP OVER -- then "wham" as Ryan found out .. Stay Healthy my Friends ..

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 11:52 pm 
gray matter wrote:
I’d like to add a bit of perspective. It’s fairly easy these day to be on edge, to assert your opinions on the internet, or get defensive when someone else is thinking differently than you. Mangy Marmot: maybe starting that “society isn’t making any sacrificies” isn’t exactly what you meant. Or, maybe it is. I think that it’s fair to say that many people have made significant sacrifices since the Covid-19 outbreak. Personally, I closed my dental practice before the state required me to, because I felt that it was the correct course of action to protect my patients, my team, and myself. Now, I am in the process of converting it into a triage center for patients in the event that our local hospital becomes overwhelmed. I did this because I think that it the best I can do for my community right now. With respect to outdoor pursuits, I do know one thing with certainty. If I don’t climb, my risk of being injured from climbing is 0. If I climb, my risk of being injured from climbing is > 0. Here is a good example of a highly accomplished and well respected climber who required a rescue. It can happen. Each of us can make our own decision about what we are going to do as individuals. As someone who will likely be caring for sick people in about a week, all I ask is that everyone reflects on that for a moment before going out. Our health care system will be taxed, and in the unlikely event that an injury occurs, you may not receive the level of care that you would normally get from our wonderful health care providers. I look forward to posting a lot of TRs this summer when I get back into the mountains. Cheers, and be well. Gray matter
up.gif up.gif up.gif

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin