Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is there a legal place to get in some elevation gain in King/Sno/Pierce area?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 2:11 pm 
Guys I'm so bummed the NFs, state parks, DNRs and such are closed. Going out for a 2000' climb is a huge part of my weekly fitness routine. I am wondering, is there a legal way to do this these days? Not looking for illegal ways. Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 2:49 pm 
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 3:53 pm 
I'm in the same boat. Been doing 1400 and 3.5 miles a couple times a week and now they've shut it down.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
nordique

nordique
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 4:12 pm 
Sure! You just have to go to obscure trailheads: trailheads that most people don't know about--that only have room for a couple cars--or less. If I told you about those trailheads--of course--they would no longer be obscure and unknown!

Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 5:43 pm 
I have two in mind- but...can't say. Sorry.

Vesper Peak
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 6:11 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Map of 650 public stairways in Seattle
Realize that if you're going to do 2k worth of laps, you're likely to run into other people. Also, don't touch the hand rails, assume they're contaminated. Sidewalk is another option, slightly wider than stairs, still not enough room for 6 feet. But you can park at the base of Queen Anne and get your sweat on. Or Phinny, etc.

asdf

asdf
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 6:21 pm 
Jeff wrote:
There are tons of routes that are on USFS land that don't involve a trailhead. Park on the side of the road and bushwhack up.
I did not think that was legal. Or are the roads themselves still open? If that is legal then no problem, I know plenty of places. Last resort will be to go climb stairs somewhere, ugh I guess I could go to a local high school and run the bleachers for an hour.

asdf

asdf
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 6:23 pm 
nordique wrote:
Sure! You just have to go to obscure trailheads: trailheads that most people don't know about--that only have room for a couple cars--or less. If I told you about those trailheads--of course--they would no longer be obscure and unknown!
Oh I appreciate that, I was more looking for land jurisdictions that I might have missed, which are still open. Not your secret spot winksmile.gif I have heard BLM is still open but that's further afield than I was hoping for.

pcg

pcg
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 6:48 pm 
asdf wrote:
Or are the roads themselves still open?
Yes.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 7:34 pm 
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 7:35 pm 
asdf wrote:
I did not think that was legal. Or are the roads themselves still open? If that is legal then no problem, I know plenty of places.
Mostly. Obviously there are some winter closures, and many become impassable with snow. Tinkham Road is closed, at least at exit 47. Wonder if anyone can clarify a related point? Sno-Parks are closed for C-19. It's my understanding these places stop being Sno-Parks on April 1st. Will it be legal to park in these places in a few days?

altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 8:33 am 
Everyone is focused on a strict reading of National Forests, and other open land's, closure notices and trying to find a loophole to those closure notices. The truth is if you want to recreate on an any open lands in Washington right now, you can, and you will not be ticketed, jailed, or otherwise punished. There are no enforcement of these laws (cops have better things to worry about right now). With that said, the spirit of all of these laws is to encourage people to either stay in their residence, or stay close to their residence. When you drive up I-90, you are using gas, thus requiring additional trips to the gas station. You are adding wear and tear to your automobile, thus increasing the likelihood of maintenance. You risk getting into a traffic accident on your drive, thus increasing pressure on an already taxed medical system. Your car could break down on the drive, thus requiring unplanned human to human contact to get home. You could get injured or lost on your remote recreation. The internet is filled with all user groups (hikers, skiers, climbers, and bikers) lamenting their lost recreational lands and trying to justify their decision to continue to recreate. Our country, and world, is facing the biggest crisis since WWII. The situation playing out in NYC right now will likely be the same situation in Seattle, and other metro areas in the US in the coming weeks. Why can't people be happy recreating around their homes for the next couple of months? Other countries are imposing (or imposed) firm lock downs where you can't even leave your home. Americans (and particularly NWhikers) are fixated on finding loopholes in the restrictions so they continue their regular lives without overtly violating the law. JUST STAY HOME.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 9:27 am 
You could find or make a box, block or bench and do step ups at home. Seriously. Think about people besides yourself and stay the f@#$%## home.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 9:30 am 
90% of all accidents happen near home.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 9:41 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
90% of all accidents happen near home.
That's because that's where most people spend most of their time. And near your home is near your local resources that you hopefully support. Not some tiny rural community.