Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Trader Joe's, Kroger's cutting hours, creating "scarcity"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 9:38 am 
It comes to my attention that some retail grocery stores are cutting hours presumably to raise profits by lessening employee hours and creating a further panic feeling of scarcity among the public. Examples are Kroger’s Fred Meyer’s on 85th and 3rd NW and Trader Joe’s near the Ballard Bridge. I went to Trader Joe’s this morning, Sunday, at 9 AM and there were two employees monitoring the door with a long line stretching down the side of the building. Now concentrating people by having them stand in unnecessary lines increases Coronavirus Risk substantially. I assume the stores are doing this because they can cut employee hours at cash registers and also to make groceries seem even more scarce. Then they can raise prices. If I am wrong and they are cutting store hours because they can’t get employees to come in that is another thing. But paying two employees (at Trader Joe’s) to merely act as door guards argues against this. The best safeguard against contracting virus in a store setting is by increasing hours rather than shortening them. Then customers can choose a time of their own choosing to lessen exposure. That is what I do. Incidentally, another nearby grocery store is not taking these profiteering steps. When I asked employees at that store, they said no one has yet gotten sick.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 10:11 am 
Cashiers have a very dangerous job right now. I would want to be exposed to the public for fewer hours. I like very much that when you get inside TJ's, there are few people and you can keep a good distance. I agree the line before you get in is a heavy price to pay for it. You can wait 6 feet behind the person ahead of you, and still feel the next one breathing on your neck.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 10:22 am 
I think you're right gb, there is some price gouging going on. Some stores have made the claim they've shortened business hours to allow more time to disinfect the store. Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 10:50 am 
With the lots and stores crazy full of people, it hard for the delivery trucks to get through. The store employees need empty aisle-ways to restock what they can, and “face” the shelves. Having 1 or 3 customers stop by late wasn’t a big deal, 100s consistently doesn’t work. I worked at a store in high school. There are a lot of employees working late, and starting early to get a store ready. I really doubt the stores are cutting employees hours; it’s just the crush of people panic buying and emptying shelves.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 2:02 pm 
It's about having time to re-stock, sorely needed b/c the shelves are emptied so quickly. The Ballard Market cut certain hours, now closing at 11 pm instead of 1 am. They're also having special morning hours on Mondays and Wednesdays for the 60+ crowd, so they can shop in safety. Very much needed. I saw a guy in there early on Saturday morning with his two young children. WTF??? People should not be bringing kids into stores.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 2:08 pm 
May not have options. One should be careful about presumptions of other folks situations.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 2:26 pm 
Well, if they can't leave 'em at home, they should leave them in the car. huh.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 3:30 pm 
The QFC in my neighborhood has also cut their hours, but it's to allow the staff time to clean the store and restock shelves without customers in the way.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 3:31 pm 
Must be a Krogers and TJ conspiracy to make more income. They probably started the virus in their laboratories. Rumor starts here!

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 3:44 pm 
Ann Elk, I was in a Trader Joe’s in Bellingham and a small child in her fathers arms coughed right by the exit. There was no choice but to walk through the cough area. I am waiting to see if I get symptoms.

Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 3:47 pm 
Anne - I can't believe you suggested children should be left alone in a car. https://www.safekids.org/content/heatstroke

neek

neek
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 4:11 pm 
PCC reduced normal hours but added special morning hours for those over 60 or in a high risk group. Also temporarily increased employee pay. And they have TP.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 4:35 pm 
Alpine Pedestrian, perhaps both parents didn’t need to come into Trader Joe’s with their kid that was openly coughing. Maybe one of the parents could have stayed outside with the kid. Will be interesting to see if there are a cluster of cases at Trader Joe’s in Bellingham in the next 10 days. I hope not.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 4:59 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Must be a Krogers and TJ conspiracy to make more income. They probably started the virus in their laboratories. Rumor starts here!
And they smeared the toilet paper packages with that virus and sent it to Leavenworth, where the chartered bus passengers from Seattle loaded up with it and took it home. biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Mar 22, 2020 5:08 pm 
I think it is wrong to assume that grocers are curtailing hours and short staffing for nefarious reasons -- for one thing with schools closed -- I'll bet managers are having a hard time scheduling employee shifts with the extra demands on working parents. Also if any employee has any symptoms -- they shouldn't be working the store eh?