Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is Discovery Park closed?
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 11:58 am 
A friend had heard possibly the park being closed? I did a search and came up empty. Any info on this?

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 12:32 pm 
If it is then no one knows about it, meaning local news. Google maps shows traffic flowing through the park.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
ThursdayHiker

ThursdayHiker
PostSun Feb 23, 2020 1:38 pm 
Was just there this am. It's open

ejain

ejain
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 11:03 pm 
There are some construction-related trail closures/re-routes, maybe that's what your friend heard about? https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/dnrp/newsroom/newsreleases/2019/August/07-Discovery-Park.aspx

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Mar 02, 2020 12:15 am 
I haven't been there in a little over a month, but it could be that construction has begun on that last remnant of former military property on the NE end of the park, that's going to be converted into mixed low-income housing. If that's begun, there definitely might be some road and trail reroutes.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 1:06 pm 
OMG .everyone and there brother was there yesterday..i have NEVER seen the parking lots all full and lines just to park. Instead of the movies i guess all r doing outside venues..totally crazy!

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostMon Mar 09, 2020 4:30 pm 
I was there Saturday night. There are a couple roads with signs saying closed to motorized vehicles but still plenty of open parking and a bunch of people all around.

rossb

rossb
PostTue Mar 17, 2020 7:05 pm 
Went there today. The parking lots and all the entrances are open, but the main visitor center is closed. No running water, but you can go to the bathroom at various outhouses.

pipedream

pipedream
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 1:56 pm 
The parking lots are closed as of now, along with those at a few other major "destination" Seattle parks: Golden Gardens, Alki, Seward, Magnuson, Lincoln, Green Lake & Gasworks (which IMO was overflow parking for Tableau employees anyway)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 26, 2020 2:08 pm 
Seattle Times article from March 23rd https://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoors/as-social-distancing-measures-hit-the-seattle-areas-parks-and-outdoor-spaces-heres-whats-open-and-whats-closed/ Its my understanding that since then the City has taken additional measures to close parking lots in order to reduce the number of folks congregating in parks.