Forum Index > Trail Talk > How to hike in the COVID-19 era
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Stephen B

Stephen B
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:20 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Stephen B wrote:
In Soviet Russia they had a name for people like this: "stukach". They'd report people to the NKVD, usually with a made-up charge. The recipient of the report would get a knock on the door in the middle of the night and disappear never to be heard from again. No-one was hated more than a stukach, and justifably so. Such a person is the lowest of the low.
I wonder if it's a threat to pull up a pic of Iron, and label it stukach.
it could be a good warning to people to disperse if they see him in public - before he calls the authorities and reports them for whatever activity he thinks is wrong, whether it's actually prohibited or not.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Stephen B

Stephen B
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:21 pm 
iron wrote:
you're making up your own rules and applying them to everyone. you'd have served Stalin well.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:22 pm 
ok my libertarian friend.

neek

neek
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:29 pm 
Guys...show some maturity. This isn't something that can't be solved by a good old fashioned fistfight. (Running joke I have with a Russian friend.) But seriously, why post stuff that's just going to get people worked up and make yourself some enemies? People who under other circumstances could probably just as easily be friends? Rules of this site aside, which have already been violated several times.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:42 pm 
iron wrote:
i think people are missing the point. you're supposed to stay home. in your neighborhood. only "travel" is to the grocery store, or maybe to work if you're an essential worker. to try and justify and twist logic to reason your way into hiking is a slippery slope. the more people that do this (and other forms of this), the longer this stuff goes on. loose lips sink ships. if you don't stay in line, you jeopardize the sacrifices of so many and will help to extend the upcoming massive economic depression.
Precisely. Thank Iron.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:44 pm 
Poor form Iron. Really poor form down.gif

pula58

pula58
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:45 pm 
iron wrote:
from NWhikers posting rules: "If it's divisive or highly contentious and not outdoor related it's pseudo-politics and off limits at NWHikers. You agree to check such discussions at the door."

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 1:38 pm 
iron wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Here's Inslee clarifying his order. https://www.tvw.org/watch/?clientID=9375922947&eventID=2020031192 Starting around 42 minutes in, he says you can drive to a "lonely" trail to hike.
Is this part of the rules? Are the words of the guy who signs the orders an insight into the intent?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
iron

iron
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 2:05 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
iron wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Here's Inslee clarifying his order. https://www.tvw.org/watch/?clientID=9375922947&eventID=2020031192 Starting around 42 minutes in, he says you can drive to a "lonely" trail to hike.
Is this part of the rules? Are the words of the guy who signs the orders an insight into the intent?
interpret a prese conference how you will; i believe inslee had a slip while speaking. please read the official order. then tell me that i'm wrong in my interpretation. otherwise, GFY2 https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/proclamations/20-25%20Coronovirus%20Stay%20Safe-Stay%20Healthy%20%28tmp%29%20%28002%29.pdf
Quote:
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Jay Inslee, Governor of the state of Washington, as a result of the above-noted situation, and under Chapters 38.08, 38.52 and 43.06 RCW, do hereby proclaim: that a State of Emergency continues to exist in all counties of Washington State; that Proclamation 20-05 and all amendments thereto remain in effect as otherwise amended; and that Proclamations 20-05, 20-07, 20-11, 20-13, and 20-14 are amended and superseded by this Proclamation to impose a Stay Home – Stay Healthy Order throughout Washington State by prohibiting all people in Washington State from leaving their homes or participating in social, spiritual and recreational gatherings of any kind regardless of the number of participants, and all non-essential businesses in Washington State from conducting business, within the limitations provided herein. I again direct that the plans and procedures of the Washington State Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan be implemented throughout state government. State agencies and departments are directed to continue utilizing state resources and doing everything reasonably possible to support implementation of the Washington State Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan and to assist affected political subdivisions in an effort to respond to and recover from the COVID-19 pandemic. I continue to order into active state service the organized militia of Washington State to include the National Guard and the State Guard, or such part thereof as may be necessary in the opinion of The Adjutant General to address the circumstances described above, to perform such duties as directed by competent authority of the Washington State Military Department in addressing the outbreak. Additionally, I continue to direct the Department of Health, the Washington State Military Department Emergency Management Division, and other agencies to identify and provide appropriate personnel for conducting necessary and ongoing incident related assessments.

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 2:14 pm 
Took a hike in a closed State Park. Was quite pleasant devilsmile.gif

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
iron

iron
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 2:16 pm 
and if you want more:
Quote:
FURTHERMORE, based on the above situation and under the provisions of RCW 43.06.220(1)(h), to help preserve and maintain life, health, property or the public peace, and to implement the Stay Home—Stay Healthy Order described above, I hereby impose the following necessary restrictions on participation by all people in Washington State by prohibiting each of the following activities by all people and businesses throughout Washington State, which prohibitions shall remain in effect until midnight on April 6, 2020, unless extended beyond that date: 1. All people in Washington State shall immediately cease leaving their home or place of residence except: (1) to conduct or participate in essential activities, and/or (2) for employment in essential business services. This prohibition shall remain in effect until midnight on April 6, 2020, unless extended beyond that date.

iron

iron
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 2:21 pm 
rocknclimb wrote:
Took a hike in a closed State Park. Was quite pleasant devilsmile.gif
rocknclimb wrote:
Good info from a family member in the medical field: Confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand... It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics. In layman’s terms the RNA is the messenger from the DNA so it replicates faster and sometimes messes up i.e. mutates. Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot. Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off. Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be.. H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too. Fast forward. Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it’s existed in humans but in a different form, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated into this specific strain and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery” This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it. And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs.. That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine. We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu. Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation... And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next. Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now. #flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on. 🤓
this era of disinformation and understanding logic is breathtaking in its hypocrisy.

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 2:24 pm 
this era of disinformation and understanding logic is breathtaking in its hypocrisy.[/quote] Conveniently leave out my apology for the mis-information, 👍but for your convenience here it is again: "Wowza, just got off work to see this. Yes, so this info was "passed on" by her on FB this morning. Obviously she felt it had valid info, but obviously not vetted enough (or by myself). Shows how easily fake news / info can be spread even by fairly intelligent humans. My apologies for the mis-information earlier. Also, FORMER chair of the "Epilepsy Institute" (My bad again). Think a climb is in order this weekend cheers.gif". What happened to you Iron? Used to really enjoy your reports here, but now nothing but a curmudgeon. Take a hike, you might be happier.
Edit- these hikes are taken on my lunch hour from work, and yes I walk to the TH.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 2:25 pm 
iron wrote:
this era of disinformation and understanding logic is breathtaking in its hypocrisy.
Hmmm. Who is arguing contrary to their own actual stated arguments? You seem more abusive than usual, I think you need a hike.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 2:30 pm 
It's really an argument of morality vs legality. Most likely any charges violating this order would get dropped especially with the precedent the supreme Court has already made and the Constitution affords us. I just can't see any feasible way this mandate is enforceable without really stomping on ones rights. That being said morally I for one will stay close to home, hike on trails are that not closed, and distance myself if the trail or road I want to hike or ride my bike is busy go somewhere else.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.