Forum Index > Trail Talk > How to hike in the COVID-19 era
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 11:26 am 
Gwen wrote:
Driving afar potentially takes you into rural communities and open up an opportunity for the virus to spread into said communities. These small towns don't have the medical infrastructure to handle what will happen if the virus is introduced there. THAT'S why not to travel afar.
Definitely don't stop in any community for any reason that can be avoided. Fill your tank full, when it gets low, to avoid excess trips to the gas station. Use gloves and a mask when you gas up. Frankly, we should all be doing that whether we hike or not. I know people are still driving to grocery stores. eek.gif huh.gif

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Stephen B

Stephen B
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 11:40 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Definitely don't stop in any community for any reason that can be avoided. Fill your tank full, when it gets low, to avoid excess trips to the gas station.
People keep using this argument and it is such a red herring. My truck holds 34 gallons and I get 18 mpg. I don't need to stop anywhere en route to an I90 hike even as far as the Teanaway. Drive, park, hike, drive home. Time the hike to avoid people on trail. Food is in the truck (chips and a beverage). Pretty simple.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 11:42 am 
Stephen B wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Definitely don't stop in any community for any reason that can be avoided. Fill your tank full, when it gets low, to avoid excess trips to the gas station.
People keep using this argument and it is such a red herring. My truck holds 34 gallons and I get 18 mpg. I don't need to stop anywhere en route to an I90 hike even as far as the Teanaway. Drive, park, hike, drive home. Time the hike to avoid people on trail. Food is in the truck (chips and a beverage). Pretty simple.
and then you have to go fill up at your local station. so, lets say you do 7 dayhikes this week. that's 7 trips to the gas station. for the rest of us, abiding to the intent of the quarantine, we will not need to go to the station for months. ?comprende?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 11:45 am 
One trip to the station... and a bed full of jerry cans.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Stephen B

Stephen B
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 11:46 am 
iron wrote:
and then you have to go fill up at your local station. so, lets say you do 7 dayhikes this week. that's 7 trips to the gas station.
you just changed from one argument to another. and who does 7 dayhikes in a week? more bs from those telling everyone what to do. I'll stick to ignoring you.

iron

iron
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 11:53 am 
Stephen B
Stephen B
https://www.kuow.org/stories/we-can-arrest-people-state-officials-warn-violators-of-washington-s-stay-at-home-order
Quote:
Officials on Monday outlined the consequences for violating an order for Washingtonians to stay home unless engaging in essential activities. People who fail to comply could be fined, have their business licenses revoked, or even be arrested. "Unfortunately, we've had thousands of calls coming in from many places in the state — also to our state and local agencies — from concerned residents with reports that some individuals and some businesses are not complying with this order," Inslee said during a Monday afternoon press conference." Gov. Jay Inslee last week ordered all Washington state residents to avoid leaving their homes until April 8. Under the directive, activities such as grocery shopping, reporting for work at an essential job, or taking a walk around one's neighborhood are still permitted. The unprecedented action is the strongest the state has taken since implementing various social distancing measures, including mandatory business and school closures, in an effort to reduce the transmission of the coronavirus. The governor outlined a three-tier law enforcement response system for violations of the order, which could amount to a gross misdemeanor. A first offense would result in a warning. But consequences thereafter would become more serious. "The second tier, if they don't come into compliance, the state is going to take action, starting with citations, suspension notices of a variety of permits, including revoking business licenses if that's what's necessary to bring these folks into compliance," Inslee said. The most severe action officials could take is issuing criminal or civil charges against violators via the Washington State Office of the Attorney General. "Our goal is 100% voluntary compliance," said Attorney General Bob Ferguson. "We want to be very clear — I don't want to have to use the powers of my office to hold accountable those who intentionally violate the governor's orders. I want to be very clear — if necessary, I will." Officials have created an online system for reporting entities who aren't following social distancing mandates. They're also directing people to report violations via local police departments' non-emergency lines, unless someone is in immediate danger. Ferguson addressed noncompliance issues related to other state orders. He said his office has received complaints of landlords attempting to oust tenants, despite a statewide moratorium on evictions for non-payment of rent. "We take these allegations very seriously," Ferguson said. "If a Washingtonian feels that is happening to them, please contact my office." Following the announcement of his stay-at-home order last week, Inslee has maintained that the order is likely to be extended beyond its current, two-week time frame. The governor said that while there's evidence suggesting social distancing orders have slowed the transmission of the coronavirus in the Puget Sound region, the number of positive test results in Washington's Tri-Cities have doubled — and even tripled — since last week. "It is very alarming to us, frankly, and indicates that we have to refocus our attention, redouble our efforts and stay on top of this effort," Inslee said. But he said no decisions have been made on how the stay-at-home order would be expanded. "We will look at the data, we will listen to the epidemiologists, we'll talk to the world's experts decide what might be necessary," Inslee said. "But I do believe we need to do what's necessary so that we can get ahead of this and not have this drag on for years."

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:01 pm 
I wish I could do 7 hikes in a week. I'm lucky to get one in.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:07 pm 
MangyMarmot wrote:
I wish I could do 7 hikes in a week. I'm lucky to get one in.
Indeed. it's funny how every reasonable argument for responsible outdoor activities ends in some hyperbolic, ridiculous assertion by the #StayTheF*#(&Home zealots. I'm lucky to get one day hike a week during normal times.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:08 pm 
iron wrote:
Stephen B
Stephen B
https://www.kuow.org/stories/we-can-arrest-people-state-officials-warn-violators-of-washington-s-stay-at-home-order
Gosh, that looks like a threat against a member. And even backing it up with the snitch line. This is an interesting time when we see exactly how easy it was for places like East Germany to become what they did.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
iron

iron
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:10 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Gosh, that looks like a threat against a member.
it's no different than people posting pics about someone vandalizing cars, stealing their webcams, or other public shaming for things that against societal rules. this is clearly one of them. don't call me out for this guy thinking he's special and doesn't need to adhere to state-ordered rules.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:14 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Gosh, that looks like a threat against a member. And even backing it up with the snitch line. This is an interesting time when we see exactly how easy it was for places like East Germany to become what they did.
In Soviet Russia they had a name for people like this: "stukach". They'd report people to the NKVD, usually with a made-up charge. The recipient of the report would get a knock on the door in the middle of the night and disappear never to be heard from again. No-one was hated more than a stukach, and justifably so. Such a person is the lowest of the low.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:15 pm 
iron wrote:
it's no different than people posting pics about someone vandalizing cars, stealing their webcams, or other public shaming for things that against societal rules. this is clearly one of them. don't call me out for this guy thinking he's special and doesn't need to adhere to state-ordered rules.
Social rules like Inslee's clarification?
Cyclopath wrote:
Here's Inslee clarifying his order. https://www.tvw.org/watch/?clientID=9375922947&eventID=2020031192 Starting around 42 minutes in, he says you can drive to a "lonely" trail to hike.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:16 pm 
iron wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
Gosh, that looks like a threat against a member.
i'm not violating any rules. Inslee himself acknowledged that exercise is essential and you can drive to a "lonely" TH. So GFY. Thanks.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:17 pm 
Stephen B wrote:
In Soviet Russia they had a name for people like this: "stukach". They'd report people to the NKVD, usually with a made-up charge. The recipient of the report would get a knock on the door in the middle of the night and disappear never to be heard from again. No-one was hated more than a stukach, and justifably so. Such a person is the lowest of the low.
I wonder if it's a threat to pull up a pic of Iron, and label it stukach. We're really seeing who the control freaks are now. Perfectly reasonable strategies for staying within guidelines and accounting for risks, get your pic thrown up and the snitch line posted.

iron

iron
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:19 pm