Forum Index > Trail Talk > All National Forest Trails in Washington & Oregon are Closed
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:51 pm 
Coronavirus: Oregon, Washington close all national forest sites, trails across 24M acres
Quote:
The closures cover around 24 million acres of forest, mountains and coast spread across 17 national forests, two National Scenic Areas, a national grassland, and two National Volcanic Monuments. The shutdown includes all hiking trails, campgrounds, sno-parks, boat ramps and OHV riding areas — any place that is considered a "developed recreation site," officials said.
Quote:
"Bushwacking into the backcountry is not allowed," spokeswoman Rachel Pawlitz said.
through September 30, unless rescinded

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:05 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Quote:
"Bushwacking into the backcountry is not allowed," spokeswoman Rachel Pawlitz said.
That was only in reference to the Columbia Gorge. OT is still allowed (but "discouraged") in, eg, MHNF. Where did you see the end date of 9/30? I couldn't find it in that article.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:08 pm 
Such bull****.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:10 pm 
Bosterson wrote:
Where did you see the end date of 9/30? I couldn't find it in that article.
I just got it from the MBSNF Supervisor. This all will be on the websites soon - they have been releasing to the media first to get the word out quickly.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:30 pm 
NPR has a story about suicide rates going up in other countries affected by this thing. A lot of people in USA struggle with anxiety and depression, and use time in nature as a coping mechanism. I understand why this is necessary, largely because the public isn't taking this seriously enough and trailheads have been over crowded. This will have obvious unintended consequences and is passively too heavy handed.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:46 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
trailheads have been over crowded
This is the laziest excuse for closing trailheads (directed at the USFS, not you Cyclopath). Go to any grocery store parking lot and you will see far more crowding there. This reminds me of the TSA - creating arbitrary rules to make us feel safer without actually making us safer.

xman_reborn

xman_reborn
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:57 pm 
Wow, this is a gut-punch. September 30th? I just started planning some summer trips as something to look forward to. Agreed, this is just lazy by the FS. Any excuse not to do any work.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:00 pm 
I'd be OK with more restrictions on grocery. Last time I was shopping some lady came within 1' of me at least a half dozen times while I was shopping, no exaggeration, scampering around, rudely cutting in front to grab items off the shelf. Bordered on socially inept outside of social distancing. I don't think the restrictions are to make us feel safer. They probably have more merit than any TSA rules. Won't work if people think they are exempt.

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:07 pm 
Official from MBSNF: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mbs/alerts-notices The end of the order is Sept 30th or unless rescinded earlier, so I'm expecting they should re-open about the same time the "shelter in place" order is lifted... However, I doubt they are going to be out there ticketing people...

Logbear

Logbear
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:15 pm 
USFS Region 5 California posted this yesterday. Pursuant to 16 USC 551 and 36 CFR 261.50(a), and to provide for public safety, the following act is prohibited on National Forest System lands under my jurisdiction within the State of California. This Order is effective from March 26, 2020, through April 30, 2020. Entering or using a Developed Recreation Site or portion thereof, except trailheads.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:16 pm 
Tom wrote:
I'd be OK with more restrictions on grocery. Last time I was shopping some lady came within 1' of me at least a half dozen times while I was shopping, no exaggeration, scampering around, rudely cutting in front to grab items off the shelf. Bordered on socially inept outside of social distancing.
That aspect has been annoying. I don't think people are dialed into being aware of what is going on around them. I can't pass you safely even in a wide aisle with your cart in the middle. You need to know what you want and take it, not stand there for 5 minutes Keuriging* over which flavor of soup, and thus blocking others who want to respect the 6' rule and get some soup. *our shorthand inside joke for not being able to make up your mind. My better half spent weeks agonizing over which Keurig to get.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:18 pm 
Sept 30????!!!! If they think I'm losing an entire summer when I can get to places without anyone there and without contacting anyone, they've got another think coming.

Logbear

Logbear
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:39 pm 
Region 6, Washington and Oregon Nothing posted on the Region 6 site. MBSNF posted theirs today. It doesn't specifically say you can't be on a trail. They haven't published their Forest Order yet. Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area posted their order yesterday. It specifically says: "This area closure means that dispersed use and unofficial “user” trails are also off limits. The closure carries the full weight of law and can be enforced with citations" Region 6 has 5 Forests in Washington, and 12 in Oregon, and each individual forest is literally posting their closures while I look at them. Colville NF specifically says they allow access to trails. Mt Baker Snoqualmie NF doesn't.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:57 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Sept 30????!!!! If they think I'm losing an entire summer when I can get to places without anyone there and without contacting anyone, they've got another think coming.
Yep. Hey Gov...good luck arresting and locking up hundreds of thousands of Oregonians and Washingtonians if we bum rush the outdoors. Numbers are on our side. Jails are letting prisoners out because of COVID-19. How are they going to throw hikers/backpackers in?

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 8:00 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Bosterson wrote:
Where did you see the end date of 9/30? I couldn't find it in that article.
I just got it from the MBSNF Supervisor. This all will be on the websites soon - they have been releasing to the media first to get the word out quickly.
It's posted here for MBSNF: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mbs/alerts-notices
Quote:
To align with state and local stay home to save lives measures, trailheads, campgrounds, and day use areas* within the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest will be temporarily closed. These closures are based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus. “We are following CDC and departmental guidelines regarding COVID-19, are closely monitoring the situation and will evaluate potential impacts to the Forest and respond as needed.” said Jamie Kingsbury, Forest Supervisor with the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. The closure order is in effect through September 30 unless rescinded earlier.
A particular quote from Mr Pink (Reservoir Dogs) comes to mind, here.