Forum Index > Trail Talk > Washington State Lands Closed to Camping through April 30 Day use areas and trails remain open
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
nordique

nordique
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 7:20 am 
Lots of cities have their own park systems. I can hike in our city parks here in Bothell.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 7:48 am 
From The Herald Even the remotest trails on state Department of Natural Resources land are closing to the public.
Quote:
Parking lots at popular recreation sites overflowed last weekend as locals flocked to the trails, prompting state Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz to elevate a camping ban announced Monday to a full closure that begins Thursday.
Quote:
State parks’ closure begins Wednesday and continues through April 30, encompassing all 4,600 acres of state park land in Snohomish County. Entrance gates and facilities will be closed, and on-site public services will be suspended. Essential staff will still be onsite to protect park resources, according to the department. Both the state and DNR closures include all trailheads, trails, roads, boat launch sites, campgrounds, day-use areas and dispersed recreation like off-trail hiking, camping, hunting and target shooting. Enforcement officers will cite people caught on the DNR’s roughly 160,000 acres in Snohomish County, if they refuse to leave, Franz said.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 8:02 am 
jm31828 wrote:
... or a hike at a remote national forest location, there is absolutely no harm in doing so
Not according to the info posted by Schroder above... But do as you will...

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 8:29 am 
How about donating the money you would normally spend on gas to your local food bank?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 8:44 am 
Rattlesnake Lake, Trail, Ledge closed after weekend crowds prevent social distancing; state closes campgrounds, parks, wildlife areas
Quote:
After weekend social media outcry from Snoqualmie Valley residents about the crowding and the lack of social distancing at North Bend trails – particularly Rattlesnake Lake, Twin Falls and Mount Si – the State and Seattle Public Utilities have acted and closed outdoor areas they manage.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 9:50 am 
Great. I can see closing the parking lots and busy spots, But off trail hiking not allowed? That means all the simple " hikes" I have been doing in the reiter hills to isolate for the last month are now illegal. Even the lame report I posted a few days ago is on dnr land. I noticed at the reiter ponds lot that they had a discovery pass sign at the entrance gate. Never seen it there before.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 10:02 am 
BLM land still open per their recent facebook post. I've been wanting to do those long loops out near Odessa on my mountain bike. Gas is $1.55 in Cle Elum per gasbuddy. Just saying smile.gif

mb

mb
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 11:30 am 
MyFootHurts wrote:
BLM land still open per their recent facebook post. I've been wanting to do those long loops out near Odessa on my mountain bike. Gas is $1.55 in Cle Elum per gasbuddy. Just saying smile.gif
You're missing the point. You don't want to bring the virus to Cle Elum, nor bring the virus from Cle Elum back home. (The latter may be more likely. People don't think about washing their hands much at gas stations, so one possible vector spread is gas pumps.) Personally I'm frustrated that the media and industry haven't been talking about this part. The goal here isn't to destroy the economy, it's to limit and slow spread. If we'd actually quarantined people at the start (which we didn't really have the tests for, but had some ideas of) this might actually have ended. This is the best bit of media I've seen

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 12:03 pm 
Bosterson wrote:
Skamania County, WA is now officially closed to all outdoor recreation until further notice. This is basically the Columbia Gorge to Mt. St. Helens and includes undeveloped roads, all national forest land, etc. https://www.skamaniacounty.org/home/showdocument?id=2391
Funny. I know someone who hiked in Trapper Creek Wilderness yesterday. He said the outdoors wasn't closed and proved it. He's going again later this week.

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm 
xrp wrote:
He's going again later this week.
Thanks, I guess.... Screw everyone else.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 12:35 pm 
If you don't even get out of your car anywhere but a place there is no one around, how is that screwing everyone else? Seems to me if it's within the range of a tank of gas for your rig, there's no impact. Am I wrong?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 12:40 pm 
The governor's order specifically says that walking and hiking is ok. I don't see a problem with it if you're not doing it in a large group. No problem with social distancing there. Likewise, getting gas doesn't involve anyone else. Just pay at the pump. Not within 6 ft of anyone there. Closing parks makes it more difficult to avoid other people. It's counterproductive.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 12:58 pm 
I'm not sure about 'entitled'. There's no transmission impact if you're not near anyone else regardless of drive time, and especially if you don't even need to gas up anywhere other than somewhere you get gas anyway.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
asdf

asdf
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 1:01 pm 
Any word on national forest roads? Can I still dispersed camp out there. I can easily get up and back from home without having to stop for gas.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 1:23 pm 
Not that I can tell. You're not even explaining your standards, so there's no way to judge them, which doesn't make for much of a discussion. For example, is it entitled to do as the poster above suggests, where a round trip on one tank, plus a hike, has no contact with anyone? The goal is no contact, and this meets that standard.