Forum Index > Trail Talk > Washington State Lands Closed to Camping through April 30 Day use areas and trails remain open
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 1:30 pm 
Equip people with the knowledge required to make good decisions rather than shame them with your inflated sense of authority, which will just backfire. Yes it's hard but there's more motivation than usual this time. Keep playing the entitled game and soon you'll realize that we should all be picking edible weeds and grubs out of our yards vs going to the grocery store.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 1:34 pm 
Neek, can you define the entitled you're discussing? I keep seeing the word but no definitions.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
schifferj

schifferj
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 1:39 pm 
Ski wrote:
But I guess some pigs are more entitled than others, huh?
I'm leaving for Hell's Canyon for a week as soon as this front passes. I've never been within six feet of anyone down there this time of the year. Idaho BTW isn't closed (yet). But there is talk of closing their borders for "immigrants" from Seattle. In answer to your question - I don't feel 1) that I am a pig and 2) that I'm more entitled. I'm casting my lot with MtnGoat on this one. While I'm glad they remain open I don't see how a bike shop is essential. Would someone care to explain to me how a pot shop is essential?

neek

neek
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 1:48 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Neek, can you define the entitled you're discussing? I keep seeing the word but no definitions.
Sorry; I guess what I'm saying is that any sort of tossing around of this term "entitlement" is likely to lead to degradation of the thread. I completely agree that it should be defined, but why bother trying when I think it shouldn't be used in the first place. That is from experience in other threads, so maybe this time it's different (ha!). Anyway it's time to think clearly about practical rather than academic matters.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 1:54 pm 
I get your drift, but its darned hard to form a judgement for arguments where the terms are not even close to defined! For example, Ski is arguing against entitlement, seemingly indicating several posters here, but there's no way to tell what he means. It would be great to get out and if you can do so on a tank or at worst, a gas pump encounter, this meets the goals which is non interaction.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 2:01 pm 
I wouldn't call it entitlement. The whole, I'm going no matter what thing is what will make this epidemic go on until a vaccine is approved and distributed and used. People, it's only like two or three weeks. Don't travel. How do you know you aren't going to break down, have to stay in a motel, and catch or spread this bug? I find it hard to believe that one can drive from the coast to Odessa and back on a tank of gas. Plus, it sounds like the poster is determined to fill up in Cle Elum. The pandemic is going to go on and on and on because certain people can't understand how it spreads and think they cannot get infected or be a spreader. Hell, you don't even have to have any symptoms with this bug in order to spread it. The damn trail in Odessa or anywhere else will be there later. I doubt that many people ever use that particular trail. I wouldn't call it entitlement to go traveling at this time, I'd call it being a stupid, uncaring dumbass. One who doesn't give a damn about anybody else. F you. You're not entitled, you are a jerk.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
neek

neek
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 2:05 pm 
^ this is what I'm talking about re. providing information vs. just telling someone they're a bad person. (Although 2 or 3 weeks, good luck.) I might read that and say huh, I never really thought about it that way, maybe I'll reconsider. Rather than f u, it's a free country and I'll do what I want.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 2:06 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
It would be great to get out and if you can do so on a tank or at worst, a gas pump encounter, this meets the goals which is non interaction.
So how do you pump gas? Do you levitate the nozzle into your tank without touching it? Can you punch in your card numbers by willing the buttons to push? Where do you stop to take a dump on this trip? Another poster who doesn't get it. It's the jerks that are going to kill us.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 2:09 pm 
neek wrote:
^ this is what I'm talking about re. providing information vs. just telling someone they're a bad person. (Although 2 or 3 weeks, good luck.) I might read that and say huh, I never really thought about it that way, maybe I'll reconsider. Rather than f u, it's a free country and I'll do what I want.
They are a bad person. No getting around that. They are unthinking, uncaring jerks. No way to get around it. They are better than us so rules and suggested rules for the betterment of the WHOLE community do not apply.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 2:09 pm 
neek wrote:
The name calling is less than useful for sure. And I sincerely doubt the 2-3 weeks. He made a good point about breaking down though.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 2:12 pm 
For gas pumps, I've been keeping lysol spray in the car and wiping down the pump handle, keypad, etc. before pumping gas. It's also a good policy to wipe down the other pumps nearby to help keep your neighbors healthy. If you have the supplies to do it, it's a small gesture but better than nothing. Also not a bad idea to wipe down your phone, keys, bank card, wallet, etc - objects that are commonly touched after touching public surfaces.

neek

neek
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 2:14 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
They are a bad person. No getting around that. They are unthinking, uncaring jerks. No way to get around it. They are better than us so rules and suggested rules for the betterment of the WHOLE community do not apply.
Aw. I was trying to ignore that part. Because I think the message is more effective without it. The fact is, we now live in a world where a simple action that would previously be considered completely innocent can now kill someone. Literally kill someone, like running over an old lady with your car. When you stop and think about things in that light, maybe you'll make a better choice. And it's not random, like some butterfly effect that you can't possibly control. This is fairly direct consequences of conscious choices.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 2:15 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
So how do you pump gas? Do you levitate the nozzle into your tank without touching it? Can you punch in your card numbers by willing the buttons to push? Where do you stop to take a dump on this trip? Another poster who doesn't get it. It's the jerks that are going to kill us.
How do I pump gas in plague times? The same way I do now at home. With the gloves I have in the car, with the card i spray before and after, and using the knuckles not fingers for the keys, and the handle wiped down before and after, and the wipe/spray between each step with the gloves. It'a PITA. There are ample dump spots which are not public toilets I'd avoid now...like the plague, yukyuk. I get it just fine, but the self righteous hostility is another matter. It's things like this which don't exactly facilitate asking questions.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 2:17 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
For gas pumps, I've been keeping lysol spray in the car and wiping down the pump handle, keypad, etc. before pumping gas. It's also a good policy to wipe down the other pumps nearby to help keep your neighbors healthy. If you have the supplies to do it, it's a small gesture but better than nothing. Also not a bad idea to wipe down your phone, keys, bank card, wallet, etc - objects that are commonly touched after touching public surfaces.
yup. car has spray, wipes, gloves. I guess this means folks who need to range a little to get solitude are SOL for the duration according to TW, but then he lives in a place where, like me, he can simply go a mile or two. Other than breakdowns, the fuel part of the travel problem could also be addressed with jerry cans filled locally.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Mar 25, 2020 2:29 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Don nitrile gloves Get out credit card Swipe card Place in plastic baggie for decon later Pump gas Doff gloves Dispose in receptacle next to gas pump That's how I've been doing it