Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchanted Valley Chalet?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Mar 28, 2020 10:46 am 
Pyrites wrote:
The Chalet needs a good song.
The Commodores' Brick House?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 4:40 pm 
Hard to tell from those facebook photos, but there was plenty of room a few years ago. Here's a spin around the chalet in August 2017 for reference. https://www.facebook.com/135774486527990/videos/221457919059642/

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 7:15 pm 
Good suggestions, and Brick House distracts me to ‘till I can’t forget what we were talking about. I was thinking Guthrie esque. Something that builds a constituency, bandies around the intertubes.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 8:12 am 
Woody Guthrie's, So Long, It's Been Good to Know Ya

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 6:01 pm 
Thursday July 2, 2020 16:41 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Public Invited to Review and Comment on Plan for Enchanted Valley Chalet Virtual Public Meeting Set for July 15; Comments Accepted July 2 Through August 2 PORT ANGELES, WA: The National Park Service released an environmental assessment (EA) for the final disposition of the Enchanted Valley Chalet for a 30-day public review and comment period on Thursday, July 2, 2020. This EA, which incorporates responses to comments received during the public scoping process in 2016, evaluates impacts of the proposed project on cultural and natural resources, wilderness character, and visitor use and experience. During the public comment period, the National Park Service (NPS) will host one virtual public meeting where Olympic National Park staff will conduct a presentation on the EA followed by a question and answer session. The meeting will be held from 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm PDT on Wednesday, July 15. The purpose of the project is to determine the final disposition of the Enchanted Valley Chalet, located 13 miles up the Quinault River from the Graves Creek Trailhead within the Daniel J. Evans Wilderness. The chalet rests on the active floodplain of the Quinault River. In early 2014, the bank had come to within 18 inches of the chalet. At that time, the park prepared a concise EA for the “Temporary Relocation of the Enchanted Valley Chalet for the Protection of the East Fork Quinault River.” In September 2014, the chalet was temporarily moved approximately 100 feet from the riverbank until a long-term decision could be reached through the National Environmental Policy Act and National Historic Preservation Act processes. The chalet currently remains on the steel I-beams that were used to move it and is closed to public and administrative use. The bank has once again eroded to within approximately 5 feet of the nearest corner of the chalet, and the nearest portion of the river channel is about 10 feet from the bank. The EA analyzes three options which include a no action (current management) alternative, to dismantle and remove the Chalet, or relocate the Chalet to another location on the terrace. The NPS preferred alternative is to dismantle and remove the Chalet. The EA will be available beginning July 2 for review and comment on the project planning website at http://parkplanning.nps.gov/ONPEVCEA2. Comments may be submitted directly on this site by clicking on "Open for Comment" and following the links to review the document and submit a comment. Comments will be accepted starting Thursday, July 2 through 11:59 p.m. MDT on Sunday, August 2, 2020. Comments on the EA can also be mailed or hand-delivered to: Olympic National Park, Attn: Superintendent Sarah Creachbaum, Enchanted Valley Chalet EA, 600 East Park Avenue, Port Angeles, Washington 98362. Comments submitted by phone or email will not be accepted. Comments submitted on behalf of other individuals will also not be accepted. You should be aware that your entire comment – including personal identifying information such as your address, phone number, and email address – may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from public review, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so. Virtual Public Meeting Access and Information WebEx connect time: 4:45 PM PDT Meeting START time: 5:00 PM PDT Meeting end time: 6:30 PM PDT To join the webinar via computer and computer audio: “Ctrl+click” on the following link or copy and paste the link into your internet browser: https://doilearn2.webex.com/doilearn2/onstage/g.php?MTID=e2ed0011d0909bb19dbb99f7674b10f53 Event (ID) number (access code): 199 948 4882 Event Password (if prompted): Chal3t! For the virtual public meeting, if you require relay conference captioning (closed captioning) per the Americans with Disabilities Act or if you do not have internet access to attend the virtual public meeting, please notify us by 5:00 pm on Monday, July 13th. If you need other reasonable accommodations, please let us know as soon as possible so that we may attempt to meet your request. Please email: OLYM_Superintendent@nps.gov or leave a voice message at 360-565-3005, clearly stating your name, contact information, and briefly state the accommodation(s) you are requesting. -NPS- =========================================================== Previous discussion threads on Enchanted Valley Chalet: March 24 2020 July 18 2016 June 22 2016 March 11 2015 March 23 2015 May 7 2014 April 6 2014 February 4 2005 June 3 2004 (* 070220 18:03 PDT 3780 Ski *)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 03, 2020 7:39 pm 

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 8:08 am 
Ski wrote:
The NPS preferred alternative is to dismantle and remove the Chalet.
How often does the preferred alternative prevail in situations like this?

RodF

RodF
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 3:56 pm 
Seventy2002 wrote:
Ski wrote:
Do you mean before, or since, the 2016 election? rolleyes.gif Starting at the top, a lot of good people have left all the agencies, including Interior... so, at all levels, it is even more top-down authoritarian than before, and less concerned with preservation or public input.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 4:17 pm 
Seventy2002 wrote:
In ‘NEPA - world’ it is very uncommon (e.g. almost never) for a decision to change between the issuing of Draft Decision and the adoption of a Final Decision in an EA or EIS. It could mean a whole lot of extra work, time and money on the Agency’s part, since analysis and the Document itself may have to be re-worked. It is unlikely, 1) barring the last minute surfacing of new ‘issues’; which is what drives the development of alternatives and the comparison of environmental effects. Or, 2) possibly a major change in the conditions at hand....in which case the more appropriate action would be to withdraw the draft EA and start over. You can understand how an agency might be reluctant to do that. It is, however, within the authority of the deciding official to choose a different alternative.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 9:50 pm 
RodF wrote:
Seventy2002 wrote:
Ski wrote:
Do you mean before, or since, the 2016 election? rolleyes.gif Starting at the top, a lot of good people have left all the agencies, including Interior... so, at all levels, it is even more top-down authoritarian than before, and less concerned with preservation or public input.
Thank you Rod. Seventy2002, that text was from ONP, not me. I was waiting for Rod to respond on this one, but let me add (hopefully to underscore his point above): Having David Bernhardt in the position of Director of the Department of Interior is kind of like having Jeffrey Dahmer in charge of a day care center for young boys. Under the current regime, do not expect anything positive happening.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 11:37 pm 
Ski wrote:
Seventy2002, that text was from ONP, not me.
Yeah, I knew that.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 4:27 pm 
Friday July 31, 2020 14:33 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Comment Period for Enchanted Valley Chalet Plan Extended Through August 31 PORT ANGELES, WA: The National Park Service released an environmental assessment (EA) for the final disposition of the Enchanted Valley Chalet for public review on July 2, 2020. Due to the many complexities experienced by the public during the COVID-19 pandemic, the comment period is being extended through August 31. This EA, which incorporates responses to comments received during the public scoping process in 2016, evaluates impacts of the proposed project on cultural and natural resources, wilderness character, and visitor use and experience. The EA is available for review and comment on the project planning website at parkplanning.nps.gov/ONPEVCEA2. Comments may be submitted directly on this site by clicking on "Open for Comment" and following the links to review the document and submit a comment. Comments will be accepted through 11:59 p.m. MDT on Monday, August 31, 2020. The National Park Service (NPS) hosted a virtual public meeting on July 15 where Olympic National Park staff conducted a presentation on the EA followed by a question and answer session. The presentation and a recording of the meeting are available on the project planning website. The purpose of the project is to determine the final disposition of the Enchanted Valley Chalet, located 13 miles up the Quinault River from the Graves Creek Trailhead within the Daniel J. Evans Wilderness. The Chalet rests on the active floodplain of the Quinault River. In early 2014, the bank had come to within 18 inches of the Chalet. At that time, the park prepared a concise EA for the “Temporary Relocation of the Enchanted Valley Chalet for the Protection of the East Fork Quinault River.” In September 2014, the Chalet was temporarily moved approximately 100 feet from the riverbank until a long-term decision could be reached through the National Environmental Policy Act and National Historic Preservation Act processes. The Chalet currently remains on the steel I-beams that were used to move it and is closed to public and administrative use. The bank has once again eroded to within approximately 5 feet of the nearest corner of the Chalet, and the nearest portion of the river channel is about 10 feet from the bank. The EA analyzes three options which include a no action (current management) alternative, to dismantle and remove the Chalet, or relocate the Chalet to another location on the terrace. The NPS preferred alternative is to dismantle and remove the Chalet. Comments on the EA can also be mailed or hand-delivered to: Olympic National Park, Attn: Superintendent Sarah Creachbaum, Enchanted Valley Chalet EA, 600 East Park Avenue, Port Angeles, Washington 98362. Comments submitted by phone or email will not be accepted. Comments submitted on behalf of other individuals will also not be accepted. You should be aware that your entire comment – including personal identifying information such as your address, phone number, and email address – may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from public review, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so. -NPS-

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Aug 01, 2020 12:34 am 
Ski wrote:
Friday July 31, 2020 14:33 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Comment Period for Enchanted Valley Chalet Plan Extended Through August 31 PORT ANGELES, WA: The National Park Service released an environmental assessment (EA) for the final disposition of the Enchanted Valley Chalet for public review on July 2, 2020. Due to the many complexities experienced by the public during the COVID-19 pandemic, the comment period is being extended through August 31. .......
Ski, I can't find this on the NPS website News Release page for some reason. Can you provide a link to this? Thanks!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 01, 2020 8:16 am 
Olympic National Park, in their Press Release of 07/02/20 wrote:
The EA will be available beginning July 2 for review and comment on the project planning website at http://parkplanning.nps.gov/ONPEVCEA2 . Comments may be submitted directly on this site by clicking on "Open for Comment" and following the links to review the document and submit a comment. Comments will be accepted starting Thursday, July 2 through 11:59 p.m. MDT on Sunday, August 2, 2020.
^ is this the link you're looking for? (for some weird reason it won't load.) inquiry sent up to ONP - hopefully she'll get back and give us an answer. ============================================================
Bedivere wrote:
Can you provide a link to this?
There was no URL for the Press Release - that came to me via email yesterday. BK

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 11:15 pm 
Ski wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
Can you provide a link to this?
There was no URL for the Press Release - that came to me via email yesterday. BK
Seems kinda fishy this hasn't been published on the press release web page.