Forum Index > Trail Talk > All National Forest Trails in Washington & Oregon are Closed
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 8:06 pm 
They'll force all those "rule breakers" into ever tinier unregulated spaces. That'll teach 'em.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 8:33 pm 
jdk610 wrote:
Kim, I just looked at their FB page and didn't see that last sentence in bold, about trails and roads being open. Maybe I missed it? Do you have a link? Thanks!
Hm, it's not there any more. I swear to God it was there! I checked twice and it was today's date! Perhaps they felt it best to leave that part out after all. They do define what Day Use Area means though Edit: the edit history on the FB post does have the original text as I saw it earlier.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
blendergasket

blendergasket
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 8:37 pm 
I kind of like the approach they are taking. Be loud about the closed parts, quiet about the open parts. Close enough to make it really inconvenient. Most people will just consider it closed, which will lead to better opportunity for distancing for those few of us who want it bad enough to wade down into the specifics.

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
jimmy

jimmy
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 8:44 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
jdk610 wrote:
Kim, I just looked at their FB page and didn't see that last sentence in bold, about trails and roads being open. Maybe I missed it? Do you have a link? Thanks!
Hm, it's not there any more. I swear to God it was there! I checked twice and it was today's date! Perhaps they felt it best to leave that part out after all. They do define what Day Use Area means though
Looks like the forest service edited the post (view edit history) to remove the language about the trails still being open. The message is now ... "We have closed all campgrounds and day-use sites in National Forests across Oregon and Washington to prioritize the health and safety of our employees and communities and do our part in flattening the curve on COVID-19 transmissions. Taking this action allows us to: align with the Governors’ orders in Washington; reduce impact on smaller communities adjacent to the Forests; reduce the non-medical demand for protective gear, such as masks and gloves, required for facility cleaning; and protect trails and infrastructure during a time when staff and volunteers are unable to respond to on-the-ground needs. We are working with our campground hosts and recreation.gov to ensure camping reservations we cancel are refunded. Thank you for your patience as we navigate this unprecedented time. #StayHome #SaveLives"

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 9:04 pm 
THANK YOU JIMMY! I have been wondering if I'm crazy. It is good to know I did not make this up. I see it in the View Edit History. Whew! I agree blendergasket, it's a good approach.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 9:22 pm 
There's a roadblock on the Icicle Creek Road at the Snow Lake trailhead. I'd say they were serious about keeping hikers off the trails.

mb

mb
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 9:56 pm 
the point of a closure like that is so people who are close can go visit. like if you live next to the forest, or biking distance, or maybe possibly a short drive (with only a small population at a short drive, so you only need like 2 roadside parking spaces). then you're meeting the actual goal: don't spread around. do go outside for a spell. this all sucks. but consider how it compares with people losing their jobs. people going to the hospital alone, because it's considered too high risk to even have one visitor. etc. but let's flip this around. how would you write the rules? always hard! given that most people will try to bend the rules, and others will shame people for trying to follow the rules but not quite, and that some people breaking the rules has no harm but large numbers has large harm?

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 10:06 pm 
Schroder wrote:
There's a roadblock on the Icicle Creek Road at the Snow Lake trailhead. I'd say they were serious about keeping hikers off the trails.
They are all easily accessible by a short bike ride. Even parking in town and getting to say, 8-mile - on a paved road.

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 11:14 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
THANK YOU JIMMY! I have been wondering if I'm crazy. It is good to know I did not make this up. I see it in the View Edit History. Whew! I agree blendergasket, it's a good approach.
Rest assured, you are not crazy (or at least not as crazy as I am!). I saw it as well.. Not sure why they changed it...

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 7:19 am 
Not crazy...look at the fine print at the bottom of the closure notice. "Trails are to remain open." At least for Oka-Wen FS.
Yes, but....
Yes, but....

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 8:13 am 
HikerJohn wrote:
Not sure why they changed it...
OK, I'm a happy camper (pardon the pun). Not crazy! Ain't nobody ever said that about me. wub.gif think it's as blendergasket mentioned. "Be loud about the closed parts, quiet about the open parts. Close enough to make it really inconvenient. Most people will just consider it closed, which will lead to better opportunity for distancing for those few of us who want it bad enough to wade down into the specifics." If they expressly touted open areas, that would be a louder message than the closed areas.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 2:50 pm 
Meanwhile, incomprehensibly inconsistent behavior at the highest level of NPS management as front-line parks managers become infected: As National Parks remain open during pandemic, seven workers are infected They should have locked all the gates everywhere, and kept all staff at work (with proper distancing) to protect the parks from vandals. mad.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 3:07 pm 
I don't have access to WaPo. Does the article indicate they were doing something stupid, or just that they caught the virus while working together?

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 3:35 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
OK, I'm a happy camper (pardon the pun). Not crazy! Ain't nobody ever said that about me. wub.gif
Kim, Is that what it takes to be a happy camper? Because I’m pretty sure I’m crazy, certainly more and more these days and I am NOT a happy camper. Depriving me of my ability to get out and actually camp just has pulled the rug out from my happy camping days...

When I grow up I wanna play.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 3:42 pm 
To me, it's only March, and I wouldn't be considering camping until June or July anyway. I was hoping for a road trip in late April or sometime in May - that could happen still....but if not, then I'll wait.