Forum Index > Trail Talk > Beaverhead Mountains hike
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
namlots
Namlots

namlots
Namlots
PostFri Mar 27, 2020 10:02 pm 
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping you can help. I am trying to plan a trip into the Beaverhead mountains on the MT/ID border to some of the high mountain lakes along the Continental divide. When I was a boy I had a scout leader that took us to Jahnke Lake but I don't remember much about it or the area. As I have been researching the area it appears that there are a large amount of ATV trails. I am looking to get away from them if at all possible. Do you know any trails/lakes along that ridge that will not have any motorized access? Thanks, hope to get a reply soon.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSat Mar 28, 2020 7:40 am 
What I see on maps of that area are many mining claims. The Continental Divide Trail runs right along the ridge above that lake which looks to be accessed best from the Montana side of the Divide. Seems like a fantastic area but that part of the range does look heavily impacted by mining activity and 4x4 roads. Any trails will appear on this site on the Idaho side. https://trails.idaho.gov A place that caught my eye is the Italian Peaks. A trail comes up from the North Fork of Webber Ck in Montana to three high, unnamed lakes. It says "pack trail" on the map so maybe motorized vehicles are not permitted. This over 20 year-old report makes the surrounding area sound impacted by motorized use as well. http://www.forwolves.org/ralph/wpages/18-mile.htm
Quote:
There are few trails and few defenders of this country which sees increasing interest from the dirt bike/ATV crowd every year. Although not in the Italian Peaks, I traveled the area last January and noticed scores of new 4 x 4 hillclimbs scaring the Beaverhead Mountains near Baker (just south of Salmon, Idaho).
You might get better info posting your query on this forum which is south Idaho based. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/idahooutdoorsforum/index.php

namlots
Namlots

namlots
Namlots
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 9:23 pm 
I've had an interest in the Italian Peaks also. However the one thing I do know if you are into fishing, they do not stock those lakes. I live about an hour away from the trailhead for Webber Creek and I have driven to the trailhead on a day off just to learn the area and the access. It does look like a great place if you aren't worried about fishing. From the website you shared it looks like there are some trails in the Beaverhead range that spur off from those roads but the main continental divide trail is a foot/horse trail only. If we could get to that trail and perhaps hike the ridge line and drop in on the lakes of our choosing from above we might be able to avoid some of that motorized traffic. I appreciate you help. I remember as a 12 year old boy that Janhke lake was beautiful. We didn't hear or see a soul.