Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is there a legal place to get in some elevation gain in King/Sno/Pierce area?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 10:03 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
90% of all accidents happen near home.
Noted. Be not close to home to avoid accidents.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
asdf

asdf
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 3:50 pm 
Value from isolation is roughly in proportion to how isolated you are. An extra gas station trip is a rounding error after I've already gone grocery shopping once a week, accepted 2 package deliveries per week, picked up a prescription, and oh did I forget, cohabit with my wife, who is still at work every day in a doctor's office. Lol. Yeah it's that one extra gas station trip where I don't come within 10 feet of anyone, that is the risk. Your concern is noted, but please have some degree of proportionality to your outrage.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 4:19 pm 
asdf wrote:
Lol. Yeah it's that one extra gas station trip where I don't come within 10 feet of anyone, that is the risk. Your concern is noted, but please have some degree of proportionality to your outrage.
Amen!! Everyone should wash their hands after pumping gas. And considering that anytime I've touched a gas pump handle my hands smell of gas this is my practice with or without a COVID pandemic. And can COVID survive contact with a mixture of poisonous hydrocarbons both on the handle and in the air? I mean breathing benzene is not really great for us humans even. Sorry but I'm not buying it that stopping at a small gas station near a trailhead and away from home has any chance of hurting anyone. And that's about all I do on any day trip other than my hike.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 5:21 pm 
Stephen B wrote:
I mean breathing benzene is not really great for us humans even.
I love the smell of benzene in the morning.

Knows literally nothing
Stephen B

Stephen B
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 5:47 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Stephen B wrote:
I mean breathing benzene is not really great for us humans even.
I love the smell of benzene in the morning.
It's worth it for the beaches. Just look at that surf!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 6:08 pm 
Trails and parks might be closed, but roads are open. A few laps of "Zoo Hill" will do the trick.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 6:22 pm 
I have done "zoo hill" daily for the past week. It gives you 1000 ft of vertical gain over ~2 miles so averaging 10% will provide a good cardio workout. It is great training for the RAMROD bike ride around Rainier that I hope to do in July.

blendergasket

blendergasket
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 6:39 pm 
Stephen B wrote:
And can COVID survive contact with a mixture of poisonous hydrocarbons both on the handle and in the air? I mean breathing benzene is not really great for us humans even.
This is a great point. Next time I get gas I'm going to pour a little extra gas into my hand and rub it on the pump handle.

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 7:02 pm 
blendergasket wrote:
Stephen B wrote:
And can COVID survive contact with a mixture of poisonous hydrocarbons both on the handle and in the air? I mean breathing benzene is not really great for us humans even.
This is a great point. Next time I get gas I'm going to pour a little extra gas into my hand and rub it on the pump handle.
Gasoline isn't an anti-septic. Here is a more useful list. https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/coronavirus-cleaners-these-products-will-kill-covid-19-according-to-the-epa Here is Consumer Reports suggestions for reducing your risk of infection at the pump https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-how-to-protect-yourself-against-coronavirus-when-pumping-gas/ Personally I've been using nitrile gloves -- I happened to have most of a 50 pack in my work shop, since I wear them when working with epoxy.

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 7:06 pm 
Randito wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1W8N0A
Actually I have a gym model black Stairmaster 4000PT in storage you can have. Works great. PM me It's somewhat disassembled for storage but easily put together smile.gif Mike

neek

neek
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 7:09 pm 
Randito wrote:
Gasoline isn't an anti-septic.
Light it on fire and it is. You have to think outside the box during times like these.

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 7:32 pm 
Welp, they shut down uphill travel at snoqualmie just now officially. Wonder what the repercussions are for still skiing? Asking for a friend. Lol

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 7:59 pm 
Noheaperture wrote:
Welp, they shut down uphill travel at snoqualmie just now officially. Wonder what the repercussions are for still skiing? Asking for a friend. Lol
Violating a USFS closure order is subject to a fine of up to $5000 and imprisonment for up to six months. Some parts of the Summit at Snoqualmie are on private land -- there you could be charged with trespassing -- which could be either Misdemeanor or a Gross misdemeanor
RCW 9A.20.021 wrote:
... Gross misdemeanor. Every person convicted of a gross misdemeanor defined in Title 9A RCW shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of up to three hundred sixty-four days, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than five thousand dollars, or by both such imprisonment and fine. Misdemeanor. Every person convicted of a misdemeanor defined in Title 9A RCW shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of not more than than ninety days, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than one thousand dollars, or by both such imprisonment and fine.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 8:44 pm 
blendergasket wrote:
I wonder how some people manage to tie their shoes in the morning.

altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 8:45 pm 
King County is only charging people with serious violent cases right now. Not even charging DUIs. Statute of limitations is 2 years, so does not mean you will not be charged, just not charged until the pandemic ends. Prosecutors are trying to keep the court houses as empty as they can. Not saying you should violate laws right now, but your decision to do something should be less about, am I gonna get in trouble, and more about, is it a morally responsible thing to do.