Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is there a legal place to get in some elevation gain in King/Sno/Pierce area?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 11:09 am 
stooges.gif This is gonna be a loooong virus.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 11:13 am 
altasnob wrote:
King County is only charging people with serious violent cases right now. Not even charging DUIs. Statute of limitations is 2 years, so does not mean you will not be charged, just not charged until the pandemic ends. Prosecutors are trying to keep the court houses as empty as they can. Not saying you should violate laws right now, but your decision to do something should be less about, am I gonna get in trouble, and more about, is it a morally responsible thing to do.
I haven't seen any laws being enforced in weeks. Mind you I'm barely leaving my home except on weekends to go to the mountains. Nobody pulled over for any reason, no police harassing homeless people, nothing. Sounds like that's not just my imagination. I've read in other places the police have been told to stand down and about contact with the public, except in felony cases. I've seen highway patrol parked in the middle of I90 like a typical speed trap, but I've also seen somebody drive by probably going 100 mph eek.gif huh.gif and not get pulled over. Frankly I wouldn't want to have somebody a paper to sign and then take it back from them either.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 am 
I hear Mt Evere(s)tt is about 29,000 cm. Someone claim first ascent!

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 11:52 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
It's immoral to shower during these times because you could slip and fall. Please don't eat, lest you choke on your food. Non-zero chance, remember. Better not go to the bathroom because you'll use toilet paper, and eventually go out and look for more. Just freeze yourself until this is over.
up.gif lol.gif
Cyclopath wrote:
90% of all accidents happen near home.
^^^ MY thoughts exactly! I honestly feel that I am at lower risk of injury in the wilderness than at home.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
uww

uww
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 1:21 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I'd sure rather have people hike alone surrounded by uncontaminated surfaces than using an ATM, passing their ID around, imparing their judgement, then going back out for Jack in the Box, iced cream, and a bag of Doritos.
We need people to do all those things, and thankfully people are stepping up. If everybody listened to Inslee and did their best to stop contagion this thing would drag on forever. We all must all do our part.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 2:28 pm 
@uww Inslee just said it's ok (but officially discouraged) to go hike on a lonely trail somewhere. Which is exactly what people in here are saying and getting flack for.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 2:34 pm 
Not sure how many have tucked in this list of peaks, some which many can get from home: http://www.rhinoclimbs.com/Lowest100.htm

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 2:42 pm 
Washington Trails Association's interpretation of the order says "if you have to drive to the trailhead, it's probably too far." Facebook's Washington Hikers and Climbers have said "hikers and climbers should stay at home and in their neighborhoods for the next two weeks (the length of time the Proclamation is in effect). If you have access to a trail or other outdoor area in your neighborhood, and can implement “social distancing” protocol, we believe you can and should avail yourself of outdoor activities there. In determining what constitutes your “neighborhood,” we would suggest if you can walk or bike to a particular location, that is in your neighborhood. If you have to drive or take public transportation (unless you are disabled and require accommodations) that is not in your neighborhood."

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 2:51 pm 
I don't think I've ever seen WHC presented as an expert.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Stephen B

Stephen B
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 2:59 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
Oh heck no. That's different. rolleyes.gif If you are injured anywhere and require assistance, you might kill someone.
It's immoral to shower during these times because you could slip and fall. Please don't eat, lest you choke on your food. Non-zero chance, remember. Better not go to the bathroom because you'll use toilet paper, and eventually go out and look for more. Just freeze yourself until this is over.
It's immoral to have sex right now. If you have/cause an unplanned pregnancy or contract an STD you are further burdening medical facilities and care providers. Keep it in your pants and wear a chastity belt. Otherwise you are just a selfish ass#### killing grandma who needs that hospital bed or appointment time at a medical facility.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 3:02 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
@uww Inslee just said it's ok (but officially discouraged) to go hike on a lonely trail somewhere. Which is exactly what people in here are saying and getting flack for.
Yep. A lot of petty dictators tring to coerce others into their behavioral standard. And people wonder how puritanism took hold, or the Salem witch trials, or any other extreme position imposed by a crazy majority.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 3:09 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Washington Trails Association's interpretation of the order says "if you have to drive to the trailhead, it's probably too far." Facebook's Washington Hikers and Climbers have said "hikers and climbers should stay at home and in their neighborhoods for the next two weeks (the length of time the Proclamation is in effect). If you have access to a trail or other outdoor area in your neighborhood, and can implement “social distancing” protocol, we believe you can and should avail yourself of outdoor activities there. In determining what constitutes your “neighborhood,” we would suggest if you can walk or bike to a particular location, that is in your neighborhood. If you have to drive or take public transportation (unless you are disabled and require accommodations) that is not in your neighborhood."
Bull****, facebook. Trails are closer than my grocery store, gas station, or pharmacy. I drive past them to get to any of the above.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 3:27 pm 
The trails close enough for me to walk(or bike) are all F...ing closed. When I walk on the sidewalks, I encounter many more people than I do hiking. Makes a lot of sense to me.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 3:42 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Here's Inslee clarifying his order. https://www.tvw.org/watch/?clientID=9375922947&eventID=2020031192 Starting around 42 minutes in, he says you can drive to a "lonely" trail to hike. WTA's interpretation is sensible because a lot of people don't have common sense. But it doesn't take precedence over the horse's mouth. Should I take a bus to North Bend instead, with strangers, and touch the bar and chairs that are covered in virus particles? They're still running.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 4:05 pm 
I can't believe they're still running mass transit, but I guess they have to. Viral wafting/confinement chamber.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers