Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Other aspects of covid19's reign of uncertainty
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 29, 2020 12:44 pm 
Nope, since the publishing step is not required. It may be customary, but it is not required, and non experts wouldn't understand it anyway. The evidence is my expectation of grave harm, just like covid and early catastrophic models *already* including social distancing.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
simont

simont
PostTue May 05, 2020 8:36 pm 
First time writing long time lurking. I know that a lot of you go to Canada or listen to Canadian media and you’re probably getting negative vibes. As a Canadian my opinion is I love this webpage and Americans and I like to think that most Canadians feel the same. In B.C. we have only about 120 deaths from COVID-19 so we got off quite well (Washington State has about 1 maybe 1.5 million more people and I believe about 800 deaths). Maybe we are nervous about opening the borders and this is causing some animosity. We will get over this and through this. Hang in the and stay safe. I hope to see you soon

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue May 05, 2020 9:06 pm 
I have lived in the US, Australia, and Canada and if I was the Canadian government I would close the border also. People here are crazy they carry assault rifles into to state houses to bully their right to get sick and get others sick. They elect the most incompetent leader in US history and and after demonstrated incompetence, total lack of empathy, and corruption still 40+% still support him. They distrust intellectuals, the educated, and experts. We live in a state of Idiodocracy. In Canada people disagreed about many things but were civil and sought agreed solutions to problems. I was living in Canada when Sandyhook occurred and had a hard time defending the US especially when we did nothing. The US has become a rouge nation like Uganda under Amin or Afghanistan under the Taliban. Canada should build a wall on the southern border.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostTue May 05, 2020 9:15 pm 
Well said, Malachi Constant. Totally agree!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue May 05, 2020 11:08 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Canada should build a wall on the southern border.
up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 06, 2020 8:27 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I have lived in the US, Australia, and Canada and if I was the Canadian government I would close the border also. People here are crazy they carry assault rifles into to state houses to bully their right to get sick and get others sick. They elect the most incompetent leader in US history and and after demonstrated incompetence, total lack of empathy, and corruption still 40+% still support him. They distrust intellectuals, the educated, and experts. We live in a state of Idiodocracy. In Canada people disagreed about many things but were civil and sought agreed solutions to problems. I was living in Canada when Sandyhook occurred and had a hard time defending the US especially when we did nothing. The US has become a rouge nation like Uganda under Amin or Afghanistan under the Taliban. Canada should build a wall on the southern border.
Yeah, its not like cops have firearms in the same places, I guess to bully. But wait, that is what they are for. And yes, they claim they have a right to get sick...I've not seen them argue there is a right to get others sick. It is not your place or govt's place to protect people from themselves. People disagree with you on this, and it's not hard to see that having someone else want to decide for themselves instead of you doing it for them really sticks sideways in your craw. I'd expect more precision from someone who claims to make valid judgements about ideas, but then one wouldn't get to make strawman arguments to backfill what you didn't decide on using logic in the first place. The most incompetent leader, now that's funny. Not everyone measures competence by extending federal control over more people and more things on a continual basis. The folks you mention distrust people who self proclaim themselves as experts without evidence, education without valid results, and intellectuals without proof. And for good reason. All three of these as defined by 'progressives' are interested in nothing less than running everyone else's lives, or else. If you don't want that, this makes you their enemy....and your arguments are the evidence for this. Look at the hostility with which you regard distrust of your 'experts'. They don't have to demonstrate expertise with results, they merely get a string of credentials while they expert their way into godawful education results, incredibly backwards, naive, and supplication positions with geopolitical opponents, not to mention their love of dictators who 'get things done', and a view of other citizens as their tools. You can't even address the fact that no 'expert' can make value judgments for other people. There is a string of issues a mile long with your love of top down 'expertise', but you can't and won't address any position other than your own with honesty, and even there it's absent. Meanwhile, those pesky non experts have plans of their own. Your utter disdain for people who won't do what you want, shows. We can't agree on solutions because there are vanishingly few cases where solutions on the basis of what the word actually means are even possible, and you can't be honest about that either. Your version of 'solutions' is nearly always a continuation of said problem at public cost in rights or $$, and not an actual solution, which means *fixing* a problem. The nasty people who disagree with your and your experts own the right to have a nation free of what you think is wonderful, and the fact that you have alternatives where things are as you prefer is a reason for you to leave others with a place they prefer in the condition they prefer. But of course that's a non starter for you, isn't it. So there's another batch of ideas for you to pop in a while later and proclaim you're ignoring. smile.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 07, 2020 6:54 pm 
Anxiety From Reactions to Covid-19 Will Destroy At Least Seven Times More Years of Life Than Can Be Saved by Lockdowns
Quote:
Medical studies show that excessive stress and anxiety are among the most debilitating and deadly of all health hazards in the world. Beyond their obvious effects like suicide and substance abuse—these mental stressors are strongly related to and may trigger and inflame a host of ailments like high blood pressure, digestive disorders, heart conditions, infectious diseases, cancer, and pregnancy complications. Based on a broad array of scientific data, Just Facts has computed that the anxiety created by reactions to Covid-19—such as stay-at-home orders, business shutdowns, media exaggerations, and legitimate concerns about the virus—will destroy at least seven times more years of human life than can possibly be saved by lockdowns to control the spread of the disease. This figure is a bare minimum, and the actual one is likely more than 90 times greater.
We need to be careful that the short term response does not cause more deaths than the ailment it is responding to. I had no idea stress had the kind of impact that the studies linked here show. I'm not endorsing their number, merely noting that these effects are likely and must be considered in the trade offs being made.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri May 08, 2020 7:23 am 
Wild times...
Quote:
Of all the industries that have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, the cruise industry has probably been hit the hardest. Not only are their operations shut down, but they became the face of a global nightmare early on, with hulking pleasure ships being turned into floating prisons rife with infection. Now, according to satellite imagery and transponder tracking data, with no revenue and nowhere to go, cruise ships are seeking refuge in clusters out in the Caribbean and Atlantic, attempting to ride out a storm that they were never designed to handle.

trestle

trestle
PostFri May 08, 2020 8:30 am 
What a big and long post of whine that fully confirms MC. Just Facts self-proclaims their expertise, yet you posted their claim anyway. Huh.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri May 08, 2020 11:04 am 
Please Canada, no wall. I live close for a reason. Hope things calm down in both countries as there are a few bike trails in BC I'd like to ride.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri May 08, 2020 5:45 pm 
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri May 08, 2020 8:11 pm 
trestle wrote:
What a big and long post of whine that fully confirms MC. Just Facts self-proclaims their expertise, yet you posted their claim anyway. Huh.
There are lots of people self proclaiming expertise. These folks make some good arguments. It seems there is an issue with the reality that the tradeoffs are not harmless and not death free.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostFri May 08, 2020 9:43 pm 
Quote:
the tradeoffs are not harmless
True in lots of areas. Criminals are more bold with fewer patrols to limit destruction.
Quote:
The door of criminal opportunity is ajar because social distancing restrictions mean fewer patrols are policing the forests of the world preventing logging crime.
Less air and land transport has cleaned the air in places like India and China. Even before the coronavirus, air pollution killed seven million people a year. Just as an aside, I thought it was Bakunin who said "property is theft". But it was drifting around in the intelligencesphere for some time. What we know now is just a version of what we wish now.
Quote:
As the novel coronavirus tears around the world, it’s exploiting our biggest weaknesses, from creaking health care systems to extreme social inequality. Its relationship with one pervasive and neglected problem, however, is more tangled: Air pollution has intensified the pandemic, but the pandemic has—temporarily—cleaned the skies.
Quote:
When new evidence emerged this week that dirty air makes COVID-19 more lethal, it surprised no one who has followed the science of air pollution—but the scale of the effect was striking. The study, which must still undergo peer review for publication, found that the tiny pollutant particles known as PM2.5, breathed over many years, sharply raise the chances of dying from the virus.
On the negative side deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon is the highest level in more than a decade.
Quote:
And deforestation is the very thing that threatens us with more zoonotic (animal-to-human) diseases like Covid-19, as habitats decrease and wildlife comes into ever closer contact with us.
The effects on AirBnB in various touristy areas and the result that those landlords are now putting up properties on the local rental market and thus helping locals is yet another unforeseen result.

don't believe everything you think
Washakie

Washakie
PostSun May 10, 2020 10:23 am 
Our current leadership is an example of what happens in a democracy when so many "citizens" don't bother to vote. It's like "my buddy" Joe said so long ago - "people get the government they deserve".

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
xman_reborn

xman_reborn
PostSun May 10, 2020 5:01 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Are you living in Western Washington now? I know someone with an inside to getting U-Haul trucks cheap. He can probably work with you and get you packed up and up into Canada by this next weekend. My buddy is all about ridding this country of "Americans" who complain about the freedom and standard of living we enjoy here. He can help you! It would be a win-win situation for the rest of us. PM me for more info