Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Other aspects of covid19's reign of uncertainty
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun May 10, 2020 6:16 pm 
Who else wants to get in on the political soapbox before we have to lock this one?

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun May 10, 2020 6:31 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Anxiety From Reactions to Covid-19 Will Destroy At Least Seven Times More Years of Life Than Can Be Saved by Lockdowns
MtnGoat wrote:
We need to be careful that the short term response does not cause more deaths than the ailment it is responding to. I had no idea stress had the kind of impact that the studies linked here show. I'm not endorsing their number, merely noting that these effects are likely and must be considered in the trade offs being made.
FWIW: Media Bias / Fact check Summary analysis of JustTheFacts.com
Quote:
Overall, we rate Just the Facts questionable based on use of a source that has been discredited in the scientific community and listed as a hate group. Reasoning: Right, Propaganda, Lack of Transparency Country: Ireland
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/just-the-facts/

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 10, 2020 6:45 pm 
Randito wrote:
"...listed as a hate group...."
okay so..... should I be surprised? dizzy.gif
Tom wrote:
Who else wants to get in on the political soapbox before we have to lock this one?
waitin' for you, boss! up.gif (I think maybe you've got what they call "a failure to communicate" here.) Thread title: "Other aspects of covid19's reign of uncertainty" In fairness, there was no way to know ahead of time with any degree of certainty that the Coronavirus episode would result in such a massive amount of comedy material being posted on the web, some of it really quite creative, like this little ditty that was forwarded to me earlier today. (No idea who did this originally - I had to convert it to upload it.) It does serve to demonstrate that even though our world as we've known it is going completely to hell in a handbasket, Yankee ingenuity is still alive and well. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun May 10, 2020 8:07 pm 
As Big Daddy would say, “ there is a powerful odor of mendacity here”

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 10, 2020 10:33 pm 
yeah... also a powerful odor of something that kind of rhymes with "wool bit", but probably better left unsaid here. dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon May 11, 2020 5:45 am 
Tom wrote:
lol.gif lol.gif Now, that's funny! Maybe not meant to be, but it went well with my morning coffee. up.gif Carry on, all! ...now its time for me to get back to work. I've gotten more tasks completed around the house in the past couple of months than in the previous 10 years. embarassedlaugh.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon May 11, 2020 7:32 am 
moonspots wrote:
Carry on, all! ...now its time for me to get back to work. I've gotten more tasks completed around the house in the past couple of months than in the previous 10 years. embarassedlaugh.gif
I have washed and waxed my travel trailer, de winterized it, sanitized the water system, and after this week's rains might just start finishing the many years process of building a kayak. Hint: Research what it takes to work with fiberglass prior to starting such a project. The virus has inspired a lot of sprucing up of yards and houses. That's one cheery aspect of it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 11, 2020 8:17 am 
Randito wrote:
FWIW: Media Bias / Fact check Summary analysis of JustTheFacts.com
Randito wrote:
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/just-the-facts/
The bias of the bias checkers is also always a factor, as we see with your link, kindly provided. This is exactly what actual science is designed to resolve. They even comment that most of the science is accurate, so what becomes relevant is that portion which is, and how it relates to their claim of larger social harm. There is no science source which is 100% accurate, because science is the practice of finding what's right by finding what is wrong first. All that matters is that the process follows standard proper method.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 11, 2020 8:42 am 
Historic shutdowns as they attempt to disinfect the cars
Quote:
When the first New York subway line connected Lower Manhattan to Harlem in 1904, the stop at 145th Street was its terminus. Since that inaugural run, the subway has never ceased running. There were brief blips of interruption after 9/11 and in the last decade for hurricanes and blizzards, but for more than 115 years, the rumbling on the rails has kept the click-clack heartbeat of New York. A second, tunneled city that, like the skyward metropolis above, never sleeps. Last week, for the first time, the trains stopped running in a planned shutdown. Between the hours of 1 a.m. and 5 a.m., the subways and New York’s 472 stations began closing for a nightly cleaning to disinfect trains. It’s a humbling concession for a swaggering, all-night town that, as much as anything, shows how the coronavirus pandemic has seized the gears of New York, one of the world’s hardest hit cities.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
trestle

trestle
PostMon May 11, 2020 2:36 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
There are lots of people self proclaiming expertise. These folks make some good arguments.
This one is going to follow you around for awhile.
MtnGoat wrote:
They even comment that most of the science is accurate, so what becomes relevant is that portion which is, and how it relates to their claim
Couldn't have worded it better myself. You're on a roll today. lol.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 11, 2020 2:41 pm 
Thank you. I'm fully prepared for comments to follow me or I wouldn't make them.

kvpair

kvpair
PostMon May 11, 2020 5:47 pm 
xman_reborn wrote:
My buddy is all about ridding this country of "Americans" who complain about the freedom and standard of living we enjoy here. He can help you! It would be a win-win situation for the rest of us. PM me for more info
So, if someone disagrees with your version of freedom, they need to be deported by your buddies. Who appointed you to be the arbiter of who can stay!! :-). Also the standard of living in Canada isn't much worse than here. <Dons asbestos pants>

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 11, 2020 7:04 pm 
I read the quote in the above post and saw it was a personal attack on me. Xman is on my blocked list. For general information the Canadian standard of living is as high or higher than the US dependent on income and wealth. Workers are better off than in the US with free health care and a more worker friendly environment even if the Tories are in power. Consumer prices are higher and taxes are marginally higher. Fortunately, we are higher income and wealth than the great majority of US residents. We still have substantial assets in Canada and could easily live there. we make several trips per year. After seeing kvpairs comment I checked the original post. As for Xman, I could easily suggest that you and your kind can move to Putin’s Russia or Brazil but that would be unkind. I thought that type of bigoted comment went out with the America Love it or Leave it Crowd but it seems that it has been resurrected. By your comment you prove your ignorance.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon May 11, 2020 8:12 pm 
hilarious. lol.gif have "your buddy" look me up, tough guy.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon May 11, 2020 8:34 pm 
Just don't go to Boston Pizza. We shoulda thunk about why would a Canadian pizza place be called Boston Pizza? The border crossing guy recommended it. Oh well.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities