Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail and Park Closures
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 3:24 pm 
This list is not complete or fully up to date. If something is not listed here, that doesn't mean it's open. We've compiled this list for the convenience of hikers. Roads Only high-use roads that are important to hikers will be listed here. Hiking Snow

Wiki summmary last edited by puzzlr on Sat May 02, 2020 10:33 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 4:07 pm 
Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife Lands Closure Extended to May 4th This closure includes all facilities administered by Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife, Washington State Department of Natural Resources, and Washington State Parks.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 9:01 pm 
Gorge highway closure extended after trespassers violate barricades, throw signs off road "Existing closures haven’t stopped some 200 cars an hour from showing up, according to transportation officials. Many visitors have also violated barricades, thrown signs off the road and trespassed into closed parks and trails."

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 9:16 pm 
I heartily accept the motto,—"That government is best which governs least;" and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which I also believe,—"That government is best which governs not at all;" and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have. Government is at best but an expedient; but most governments are usually, and all governments are sometimes, inexpedient. — Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 1:25 am 
Perhaps I've misunderstood, but the content of the second post of this thread seemed to suggest that this thread was for posting information for members and users of the site regarding closures.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 2:50 am 
You understood correctly. Check opinions at the door.

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 6:39 am 
wheres the door?

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 7:18 am 
Ski wrote:
Perhaps I've misunderstood, but the content of the second post of this thread seemed to suggest that this thread was for posting information for members and users of the site regarding closures.
People are practicing civil disobedience- I’m replying to the linked Gorge closure story. There will be more of this as closures continue and expand. That link showed an extraordinary resistance by Oregonians- 200 cars an hour!

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 10:24 am 
Relevant to closures, they have been towing cars parked illegally outside the closed Mt Si lot: https://livingsnoqualmie.com/tow-trucks-police-respond-to-mt-si-road-as-hikers-ignore-stay-home-order-closed-north-bend-trails/

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 10:38 am 
Secret Agent Man wrote:
Relevant to closures, they have been towing cars parked illegally outside the closed Mt Si lot:
Not sure why people thought they could get away with it when they were towing cars parked illegally outside the Mt Si lot when it was open as well.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 10:43 am 
I edited the wiki post pretty heavily. It's a lot more readable now. It would be helpful if people adding to it (thanks for helping clarify for everyone!!) would follow the new convention:
  • Bulleted list, because it wasn't clear which was a new thing, and which was a link that wrapped around to the next line. Easier to scan through now.
  • Name of the place is bold, again easier to scan through if you want to find something specific
  • Casing is consistent now: proper nouns capitalized, first word of each item capitalized, everything else lower (it was a mix of title case and lower case)
  • Clarified "all" for a couple items
  • Sorted the list from federal to local, again so people looking for info can find it more easily
I also changed the text from "because some people are recreating on closed lands" to something more stoic, make it less likely to provoke a debate. rolleyes.gif rant.gif mad.gif I don't mean to criticize anybody else's effort on this, I just saw some ways to make the list easier to use. smile.gif

settebello

settebello
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 10:47 am 
All provincial parks in British Columbia are now closed until further notice: News Release

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 1:05 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I edited the wiki post pretty heavily. It's a lot more readable now. It would be helpful if people adding to it (thanks for helping clarify for everyone!!) would follow the new convention:
Awesome,. I love consistency, readability, and clear communication. Thanks. ~z

Luc

Luc
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 3:08 pm 
Agreed. Makes it much easier to read - thank you! And +1 on the management move. Still though, having a list is super helpful, but I then need to cross-check closure areas with maps, since I've not always payed super close attention to which entity manages a certain area. Of course it's often obvious, but not always! It would be cool to have some of these as map layers that you could turn on and off.

GNGSTR
blendergasket

blendergasket
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 3:33 pm 
If I'm understanding you correctly you can do that on caltopo using the "public lands" layer.

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
Luc

Luc
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 3:52 pm 
Yes but more granularly, for example per the wiki list.

GNGSTR