Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail and Park Closures
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 3:24 pm 
This list is not complete or fully up to date. If something is not listed here, that doesn't mean it's open. We've compiled this list for the convenience of hikers. Roads Only high-use roads that are important to hikers will be listed here. Hiking Snow

Wiki summmary last edited by puzzlr on Sat May 02, 2020 10:33 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 5:29 pm 
No judgement, love you all. I think it's good to provide accurate info. The wiki says the Baker Ski Area is probably gated. Anybody able to confirm? Is NOCA really the only NP in the state to close? Anybody have info on Crater Lake or Glacier? Probably closed, links would be great? Is it still the case that NF roads and trails are open? (This thread is about what's closed not what's open.) If not we should include those closures. If true, is it helpful to list specific road closures, or will that get overwhelming? Any info on NFs in our neighbor states? Anybody know a good map of land ownership/management that's easy to link to specific places? If so I can add map links to the wiki when I have time. @Tom I've always assumed you'd prefer us not to link to nwhikers on other social media because nwh is a tight knit community, the internet is full of trolls, and I don't want to bring any here. Thoughts? The closure list is growing to be a useful resource, and I'm assuming if it gets copy/pasted elsewhere you'd appreciate removing any links here? --------------------- I'm lucky to be able to work from home, I want to keep it that way, I'm about to get slammed and won't have time to look into this stuff myself. I know that some people/couples are talking about whether to travel, links to closures would settle some of those debates.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Songs2

Songs2
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 5:45 pm 
Protected Lands map This site lists a variety of protected lands by agency (e.g., BLM, DOD, NPS ...). Please note, not all protected lands have public access. One get get quite granular with this map.

Arginine

Arginine
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 6:40 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
The wiki says the Baker Ski Area is probably gated. Anybody able to confirm?
Oh, it’s closed. Down low. Check out the April 3 video update https://www.mtbaker.us/

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 8:52 pm 
Arginine wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
The wiki says the Baker Ski Area is probably gated. Anybody able to confirm?
Oh, it’s closed. Down low. Check out the April 3 video update https://www.mtbaker.us/
Is that the gate at the side road to White Salmon Lodge in the video (versus a gate across 542?)? In any case it's clear from the video that the entire ski area permit area is closed to any public use now. And the web site does say:
Quote:
Per USFS & Washington State Covid-19 guidelines, the Heather Meadows and White Salmon parking lots are temporarily closed. For more information about WHAT AREAS IN THE NATIONAL FOREST REMAIN ACCESSIBLE, please go to www.fs.usda.gov/mbs/ or call (360) 856-5700

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 9:16 pm 
Basket entry updated. Not relevant if the parking lot is hated of the road is closed down below. Left both links but the text is as concise as I could come to with. Thanks both of you for clarifying.

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 9:30 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Is NOCA really the only NP in the state to close? Anybody have info on Crater Lake or Glacier? Probably closed, links would be great?
MRNP has closed all roads and facilities, and closed the Nisqually entrance to pedestrians. Carbon River road is still closed due to washout. They explicitly say you can still walk in and camp from SR 410 and SR 123 though. https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/conditions.htm Olympic has closed all roads and facilities but doesn’t say much about walking in for a day hike. Unlike Rainier, they say backcountry camping is also banned. https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 10:27 pm 
Thanks, Secret Agent Man! Updated. The wiki is easy to read but getting harder to edit. If people want to reply with updates, I'll add them to the wiki. I write code for a living so this is easier for me than people who aren't "computer people" and I'd rather be helpful than read a bunch of news all saying the same things.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 10:48 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
"...people who aren't "computer people"..."
I had to go in and look in the mirror to make sure, but I am real people, not "computer people". Will therefore advise should I hear of any further updates. clown.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 8:29 am 
As of Monday, 542 was open all the way. The trailhead parking lot at the end is closed but people were parking on the loop. The ski resort is supposedly closed but there were lots of tracks visible in and out of bounds. Outside the ski resort is undeveloped so it should still be open for dispersed recreation.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 1:21 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Basket entry updated. Not relevant if the parking lot is hated of the road is closed down below. Left both links but the text is as concise as I could come to with. Thanks both of you for clarifying.
Well as Mangy Marmot notes there are other options for parking besides the gates lots (I do not thing the roads are posted no-parking for at least some distance there, though not 100% sure... - there are definitely spots where one is allowed to park near the Mounties Lodge and Reflection Lake or whatever its called, and I'm not sure if they can gate the highway maintenance lot which is large). And I believe it's possible to head off alongside Bagley Creek and avoid the ski area permit area (though clearly many are skiing within the permit area and likely with no enforcement consequence despite the closure - same has been evident to anyone who periodically looks at the Summit at Snoqualmie webcams...).

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 1:29 pm 
Thanks, Marmot and Joker. I'm not sure how the Baker entry should read? Any misleading info will call the entire list into question. The list is for closures only, I'm personally glad there are still opportunities for outdoor recreation for people who need them, but I don't want to put that info on the front page and encourage more people. In here in the comments though, I appreciate the shaded clarification. smile.gif

schifferj

schifferj
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 3:16 pm 
Glacier National Park closed March 27 until further notice. They do recommend you visit the park “virtually” via its webcams. I did - it looks beautiful and very empty.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 3:43 pm 
Don't even think about getting anywhere near the water or a trail in the city of Seattle park this weekend; on foot, in your neighborhood, or otherwise: Seattle to close major parks, beaches this weekend
Quote:
...Seattle Parks and Recreation employees will be present in the closed parks. They’ll remind people who enter the parks without gates to leave and will be able to call the police if people don’t move along, Aguirre said. The Seattle Police Department will have a number of officers prepared to respond, Best said. Officers will start by asking people to voluntarily comply with the closures, she said. “That being said, we do have the potential to write a citation,” Best added. “Those details are being worked out with the City Attorney’s office … That is the game plan so far.”

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Virtualv

Virtualv
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 3:48 pm 
Duplicate account disabled by admin.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 4:44 pm 
Thanks all for the continuing suggestions. @Ann I added the notice about city parks and beaches with the text that emphasis patrols are under way. All King County parks are already closed so the real news in the link is that police will be involved if necessary. @schifferj Added NPs in neighboring states, all fully closed. Couldn't find a link to Shasta somehow. I'll continue to update as time allows. Looking at the list (first post when you open this thread and on every page) you get the impression that everything is closed, near and far. Finally, I figured out how to nest bullets, hopefully it will continue to be easy to read.