Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail and Park Closures
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 3:24 pm 
This list is not complete or fully up to date. If something is not listed here, that doesn't mean it's open. We've compiled this list for the convenience of hikers. Roads Only high-use roads that are important to hikers will be listed here. Hiking Snow

Wiki summmary last edited by puzzlr on Sat May 02, 2020 10:33 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Stephen B

Stephen B
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 4:32 pm 
Tom wrote:
Looking at your posting history I see a total of 15 posts over 8 years. That is roughly 2 posts per year. Over the last month or so you've felt compelled to contribute 75 posts on the covid subject. Perhaps you see it as value added but I think we got the gist already and it's starting to sound like a broken record.
In the past 8 years I came here for beta about route conditions and stoke. Not much on the site for that now. My recent posting on the covid topic is not excessive compared to a few of your other posters here, who seem to be 100% supportive of closures and measures enacted by our government. Of course the tendency is to not see their excessive postings as 'excessive' if you agree with them. I'm interested now in opening our public lands. If this thread is only for posting about everything that is closed, cheering about the closures and calling that the right thing to do, and wait indefinitely for our government to reopen our public lands at their leisure and not question or challenge the reasons for keeping them closed, fine, I get it. I'll stick to getting out every weekend and maybe check back in here if anything ever "opens" again.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rossb

rossb
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 4:56 pm 
Stephen B wrote:
... My recent posting on the covid topic is not excessive compared to a few of your other posters here ... ... I'm interested now in opening our public lands. If this thread is only for posting about everything that is closed ...
Yes, it most certainly is about that. If you even bothered to read the initial post, you would have gathered that. Here, let me copy it:
Quote:
I've locked the various threads relating to trail and park closures. While a large portion of the community seems capable of engaging in conversation that fosters community, it seems to bring out the worst in others. I'm going to leave this thread open with a wiki to post if anyone wants to put in the effort of consolidating (not that anything is really open). There have been many personal opinions shared regarding how to interpret the rules, I don't think we need to rehash all of that. There are a dozen locked threads if anyone wants to sample them.
Got it? This thread is about what is open, and what isn't. Whine all you want about how "they started it", but please, take that somewhere else, like in Lands or Saloon. Or heck, if you really want to, start your own blog (it isn't that hard). No one who opens this thread wants to read this endless argument. They just want to know what is open, and what isn't.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 8:47 pm 
Something else that might affect plans. I was talking to a friend about heading up to the Loup for a bike ride, if the snow was cooperative. She was thinking that gates on roads might still be locked as the FS folks have been working from home and not out and about like usual. Check before you go.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 9:54 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I was talking to a friend about heading up to the Loup for a bike ride, if the snow was cooperative. She was thinking that gates on roads might still be locked as the FS folks have been working from home and not out and about like usual.
At least on sunday mountain loop hwy is still gated before the pass, yes. However I still FS folks are actually somewhat working on that and do open some roads and also update road conditions online (slowly).

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Apr 29, 2020 12:24 am 
kitya wrote:
At least on sunday mountain loop hwy is still gated before the pass, yes. However I still FS folks are actually somewhat working on that and do open some roads and also update road conditions online (slowly)
I was up there Monday, a lot of snow has melted off the roadway in the past two weeks, but there was still a bit just prior to the Big 4 Picnic Area, however if the gate were open, it would be driveable up to that point at least. There were about 6 vehicles parked at Deer Creek road but we only saw one group, I assume the rest were up toward the Dickerman TH or maybe Coal lake road. Hopefully the gate will open in 2-3 weeks.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 01, 2020 9:30 am 
nordique

nordique
PostFri May 01, 2020 1:51 pm 
I check the closure lists regularly, trying to stay 'legal.' Such long lists of closures! A list of what's open would be more useful--and, I assume, shorter than the closed list. I've enjoyed hiking in various city's parks, on the Tolt Pipeline Trail, etc. I recently enjoyed a loop hike to the 'Million Dollar View' from Harvey Manning Park/Playground in the Talus development: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMT9wkZ

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri May 01, 2020 6:30 pm 
A short list of open trails means a short list of crowded trails, in this day and age of social media. News travels fast and people are chomping at the bit to drive somewhere. I remember back in 1740 when I had to walk to church, and the plague came through from time to time.

altasnob

altasnob
PostFri May 01, 2020 8:03 pm 
Noticed on the MNRP status page it says: Open + The park backcountry is accessible for dispersed recreation such as hiking and winter camping. + Winter recreation at the northeast (SR410) and southeast (SR123) park boundary closures including snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. Once snow clearing on begins, winter recreation access on roads will cease. So I assume it is ok to walk the paved road into the park from the gate on SR410 and the gate at SR 123, and then all the trails are open if you can get to them from there.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostFri May 01, 2020 8:39 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Noticed on the MNRP status page it says: Open + The park backcountry is accessible for dispersed recreation such as hiking and winter camping. + Winter recreation at the northeast (SR410) and southeast (SR123) park boundary closures including snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. Once snow clearing on begins, winter recreation access on roads will cease. So I assume it is ok to walk the paved road into the park from the gate on SR410 and the gate at SR 123, and then all the trails are open if you can get to them from there.
Liberty Ridge, anyone?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 02, 2020 8:21 pm 
I've heard (but haven't had time to verify) Pilchuck will open Tuesday, Wallace Falls will remain closed.

stever

stever
PostSun May 03, 2020 6:12 am 
Cyclopath you are correct. Here is the list of state parks that will be open on Tuesday and also those that will remain closed. https://parks.state.wa.us/1181/Parks-opening

day_hike_mike

day_hike_mike
PostSun May 03, 2020 9:56 am 
stever wrote:
Cyclopath you are correct. Here is the list of state parks that will be open on Tuesday and also those that will remain closed. https://parks.state.wa.us/1181/Parks-opening
Good link! Looks like all of the state parks on the coast are staying closed a while longer.

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostMon May 04, 2020 9:58 am 
I can confirm that the gated roads in Olympic National Forest that are closed from 1 NOV - 30 APR have been unlocked. I had been wondering about them and if they would be opened or not. Even found someone's still steaming camp fire back in the hills.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 05, 2020 7:47 am 
DNR lands opening
Quote:
Middle Fork Snoqualmie NRCA is open for day use only. These sites include Mailbox Peak Trailhead, Granite Lakes Trail Connector Access, Mine Creek day-use site, Champion Beach Day-use Site, Granite Lakes Trailhead, Oxbow Loop Trailhead, Russian Butte day-use site, Far Side Trailhead (for Dirty Harry’s Balcony & Peak) managed by Washington State Parks. Mount Si NRCA is open for day use only. These sites include Little Si Trailhead, Little Si Overflow Trailhead, Mount Si Trailhead, and Teneriffe Trailhead. Rattlesnake Mountain Scenic Area and Raging River State Forest are open for day use only. Snoqualmie Point Trailhead is open. Access from Rattlesnake Lake Recreation Area & Rattlesnake Ledge Trail, managed by Seattle Public Utilities, is closed.